New development: GTIA in CPLD

791 replies to this topic

#751 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,402 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 PM

I think so. There is no need to open a new thread. The price is PLN260/pc + PLN50 shipping. 7 pcs I can dispatch immediately, the next can be within a 4-6 week.

I would like to order one, shipped to USA.

Please contact me.

Thank you!

Michael

#752 KlasO OFFLINE  

KlasO

Space Invader

• 30 posts

Posted Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:48 AM

I’m interested in two rev c boards

#753 kirby76 OFFLINE  

kirby76

Star Raider

• 55 posts

Posted Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 PM

I’m also interested in two rev c boards please.

#754 ZuluGula ONLINE  

ZuluGula

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 AM

Do you have a list of monitors that has been tested with Rev. C board and work well?

#755 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 458 posts

Posted Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:23 AM

Current list (NTSC/PAL):

Dell U2412M: +/-

Dell U2913WM: +/+
Dell U2713HM: -/-
Dell U3014: +/+
LG 24MP47HQ: +/-

LG E2242T: +/-
LG E2441V: +/-

LG W2600H: +/+
HP LP2465: +/+

#756 Zap! ONLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• 1,451 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 11:12 AM

I'm getting an 800XL (coming Friday by mail). I have a Sony PVM with RGB SCART. Whatever I need to make them work together I will buy. :)

#757 redhawk668 OFFLINE  

redhawk668

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:56 PM

I would like to order a Sophia RGB board too. Needs to be shipped to the Netherlands. Could you let me know if its still possible?

Edited by redhawk668, Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:57 PM.

#758 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• 1,532 posts

Posted Mon Nov 6, 2017 2:43 PM

I would like to order one Sophia. Needs also to be shipped to The Netherlands :) 

#759 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,804 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:24 AM

Has anyone fitted one to a 400?

#760 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,711 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:05 AM

Has anyone fitted one to a 400?

It would be very difficult since there's not enough room under the RF shield for it to plug into the socket on the CPU board.

It has been done on the 800, using a ribbon cable to the RAM card bay in an Incognito upgraded machine.

http://atariage.com/...dpost&p=3804838

It might be possible to do similar on the 400, though it could require locating the Sophia outside the RF shield.

Edited by BillC, Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:06 AM.

#761 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 8:13 PM

I have a DELL 2007FPB monitor hooked up to a Sophia RevC DVI board (no it doesn't look like the picture below, but wouldn't that be nice ;) ).

24-260-275-01.jpg

Here you go  :) ,

Dell_2007FPB_Sophia_RevC_DVI.JPG

This is being driven by a 1088XEL setup as a PAL system. It looks fantastic, but I have noticed some glitching when running the Near Demo (attached). So far it is the only one that appears to have a problem, but I have a lot more stuff to look at. Also be nice if the over scan area was eliminated, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. Picture sure looks pretty. Great job Simius  :thumbsup: .

- Michael

Attached Files

• Attached File  Near.xex   98.76KB   19 downloads

#762 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:52 PM

Here's a Sophia RevC DVI test video showing the glitching I saw yesterday, which appears to be horizontal tearing as if something with HSYNC is on edge. It doesn't occur in everything, and in fact some demos such as Boogie Nights works flawlessly. I also show a couple of examples of over scan noise seen on the extreme edges of the screen. This is likely quite normal, and is not something that would have even been visible on an older TV. However if at all possible, it would be nice to have this eliminated from what is seen via DVI on a more modern LCD. In the 1088XEL using the V-Gate chip, I eliminate the over scan from the Composite and S-Video outputs, unfortunately it can not do this for the Sophia. Perhaps this can be done inside the CPLD instead.

Now as for the horizontal tearing, I can't say for sure whether this is directly attributable to my DELL monitor, or as a result of something not quite right with the Sophia (Edit: Simius can you confirm this?). Could even be a PAL vs NTSC thing, although unfortunately the demos that caused problems while in PAL, do not work properly on an NTSC system so it is difficult to know.

And although I'm seeing a couple issues, the display from this board is spectacular!!!

- Michael

Attached Files

#763 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 458 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:09 PM

Try another monitor. I haven't such effect.

#764 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 7:38 AM

Did I miss something about Sophia outputting DVI?

#765 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,763 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:33 AM

Did I miss something about Sophia outputting DVI?

http://atariage.com/...dpost&p=3772384

#766 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:02 AM

Try another monitor. I haven't such effect.

So far I've tested on two entirely different monitors and I'm still seeing the exact same effect. What I find most interesting is that only certain applications cause this to happen. I would think if the monitor wasn't compatible, that everything would be messed up, but that isn't the case. In fact it looks absolutely stable other than a few demos that reveal the horizontal tearing problem, which is quite consistent in nature. Just for grins I'm going to test with a new DVI cable today, just to rule that out. Also tried this with both of my Sophia RevC boards, as well as swapped ribbon cables and the DVI connector boards that they came with, but the results remained the same. I also plan to  try it in an 800XL just to rule out the 1088XEL as being the problem.

I'm not familiar with how DVI really works, but is there a possibility that this is a timing issue that is so close to the edge that particular video modes and or tricks cause it to temporarily go out of range? Some monitors might be more tolerant, but perhaps if this is the case a slight adjustment in timing might make this more universally accepted. Just a thought  :ponder: .

Edit: Simius please keep in mind that I have the means to reprogram the chip in the Sophia and would be more than willing to run some tests on my end for you.

- Michael

#767 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:58 PM

This is the Sophia Rev.C board with the DVI output.

So what do I do with the RevA boards? :-)

#768 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,763 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:03 PM

So what do I do with the RevA boards? :-)

Send one here to go in my 1088XEL. :D

#769 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:16 PM

And I'll take the other one if you have more than one  ;).

- Michael

#770 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 458 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:53 PM

So far I've tested on two entirely different monitors and I'm still seeing the exact same effect. What I find most interesting is that only certain applications cause this to happen. I would think if the monitor wasn't compatible, that everything would be messed up, but that isn't the case. In fact it looks absolutely stable other than a few demos that reveal the horizontal tearing problem, which is quite consistent in nature. Just for grins I'm going to test with a new DVI cable today, just to rule that out. Also tried this with both of my Sophia RevC boards, as well as swapped ribbon cables and the DVI connector boards that they came with, but the results remained the same. I also plan to  try it in an 800XL just to rule out the 1088XEL as being the problem.

I'm not familiar with how DVI really works, but is there a possibility that this is a timing issue that is so close to the edge that particular video modes and or tricks cause it to temporarily go out of range? Some monitors might be more tolerant, but perhaps if this is the case a slight adjustment in timing might make this more universally accepted. Just a thought  :ponder: .

Edit: Simius please keep in mind that I have the means to reprogram the chip in the Sophia and would be more than willing to run some tests on my end for you.

- Michael

I'm testing currently on two monitors: HP LP2465 and Medion MD30293. No probem on both.

This issue looks like H-sync disturbances and it is very strange, because any sync problem on the DVI link results in an immediate lack of image.

Has any of your monitors the aspect ratio of 16:10? For that DELL the Sophia board should be set rather on the 1280x960 resolution. I think I can prepare such core. Not at once, but some time.

Edited by Simius, Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:05 PM.

#771 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:38 PM

I'm testing currently on two monitors: HP LP2465 and Medion MD30293. No probem on both.

This issue looks like H-sync disturbances and it is very strange, because any sync problem on the DVI link results in an immediate lack of image.

Has any of your monitors the aspect ratio of 16:10? For that DELL the Sophia board should be set rather on the 1280x960 resolution. I think I can prepare such core. Not at once, but some time.

Hi Simius,

I'm in 4:3 mode on the DELL, but I did test in 16:9 aspect ratio on a Viewsonic widescreen monitor getting similar issues.

So to make this a bit easier to see and to reveal it's constant nature I found this program: Attached File  SCR_TEST.ATR   130.02KB   10 downloads

And choose COLCHARTCOM 017 from the menu.

SCR_Test.JPG

And here is what I see on a PAL machine (1088XEL). Two pairs of skewed lines,

Sophia_RevC_1088XEL_PAL.JPG

And here it is with an NTSC macjine (stock XEGS). One pair of skewed lines.

Sophia_RevC_XEGS_NTSC.JPG

I also saw the same thing in the 1088XEL when I switched it over to NTSC.

I would be quite willing to test that new core when you get a chance to do it (thanks  :) ).

- Michael

#772 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 458 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:48 PM

I'll try to clarify this issue. So far I have not achieved such effect.

#773 Justin Payne OFFLINE  

Justin Payne

Dragonstomper

• 750 posts
  • Busy updating XEGS Podcast website to Angular2

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:23 PM

What's the process for order? Probably get the wife to get me one for Xmas.

#774 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:25 PM

Simius here's the frequency/resolution specs on the Dell 2007FP that I am using...

Dell_2007FP_specs.png

- Michael

#775 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 458 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 PM

What's the process for order? Probably get the wife to get me one for Xmas.

PM is enough.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users