IGNORED

Is this a good price.

$75 for a boxed working Commodore 64 is no bargain unless it is an early silver-label unit in which case grab it, working or not.

On feeBay, proven working boxed units in reasonable cosmetic condition would I believe, struggle to fetch $50 Stateside. Commodore sold something like 20 million of these, and the build quality was more than enough that even modestly well cared for units continue to give sterling service today. Even though there are still a lot of enthusiastic C64 users, there is also a plentiful supply of machines, hence prices are not high. If memory serves, my boxed working C64 cost me $100 with two working 1702 monitors and a 1541 drive off Craiglist in Chicago, although that was five years ago and prices of all things retro have gone up.

If however you have the advantage of local pickup, then you can factor the savings of not having to pay for shipping, which may mean your $75 purchase is about what you would end up paying elsewhere to have a unit shipped to you. If it is working, $75 is a reasonable sum, but still no bargain.

If it is not working, walk away. C64s are just too plentiful to waste time fixing unless you have passion for such things, or a ready supply of spares to swap out, which I am guessing you don't.

Powering up the unit (I am assuming the unit includes the Commodore power brick) should illuminate the red LED. This does not however prove the unit works, only that the transformer works and the power circuit is operational.

To really know you will need a monitor or TV, or failing that a tape deck or a disc drive.

If you have a tape deck, connect it to the C64 and press the PLAY key. Nothing should happen. Hold the shift key and press RUN STOP, and the tape counter should start to advance. That indicates the C64 is alive.

If you only have a disc drive. Connect that and power it up. Then start the C64 and type as best you can: LOAD "*",8 and then press RETURN. The busy light on the drive should flash.

If you have neither monitor, nor tape deck nor disc drive, you're taking a chance. C64s were generally well built so if it powers up your chances are fair it is in working condition.

$75 for a boxed working Commodore 64 is no bargain unless it is an early silver-label unit in which case grab it, working or not.

On feeBay, proven working boxed units in reasonable cosmetic condition would I believe, struggle to fetch $50 Stateside

Times have changed in the past five years. Most "untested" or "turned on but thats it" auctions will sell for $50-70 on ebay nowadays. If it is tested working and a screenshot showing such is added it will fetch $100 or more. Unless you have some stock of confirmed working boxed units in good cosmetic condition for $50? I know I (and many others) would be quite interested! :)

You said you received a C64, two 1702 monitors and a 1541 drive for $100. That isn't going to happen today (at least on the east coast where I live). I'd pay $75 just for one clean and functional 1702 if I could.

That said, if you find one that is confirmed working, in good shape (not broken in any way) and boxed...well $75 is a pretty good deal.

Edited by eightbit

• 4 weeks later...

It depends were you are located. I also live on the US east coast, between Washington D.C. and Baltimore MD. In this area, $75.00 for a working C-64 in it's box is a good deal. It's odd to see one that cheap on our local Craig's List these days - they're usually over $100.00

I have to agree. Unless you can find it offline, i.e. Yard Sale, Flea Market, thrift store, you usually are facing premium prices, and its pretty ridiculous what faulty or untested items are being priced at. It all really comes down to what you are willing or able to pay. If the price is good for you go for it.

I think the reality is that however common any system was back in the day, there are still a finite number out there and most of the ones still existing and in working condition have already changed hands from people who no longer want them to people who do. Those new owners aren't going to let them go as easily because they're not buying them as everyday computers but for fun or nostalgia reasons. So prices will go up, and have for pretty much everything.

I've seen it with the C64 too... I held off buying one because a few years ago they were a dime a dozen in the box for under $50. But I bought one just recently and had to pay $100 total. It's difficult to find one for much less than that anymore online with shipping included, or locally at all. So while $75 isn't a steal, it's not a bad deal either.

I also think that if you can test before buying, that's worth something. That's why I was willing to spend $100 on mine.