IGNORED

What Are The 5 Best & 5 Worst 7800 Games? (Not Including Homebrews)

nosweargamer

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/78gbg )

For the FINAL, regular episode, I want to know what the 5 Best "Hall of Fame Games" on the system are as wells as the 5 Worst "Trash Bin Games". This is for the original releases only. (No homebrews or unreleased games)

Please put them in order, as I will weight them accordingly. (For Worst, your #1 will be what you think is the worst game on the system)

You can also e-mail text or audio submissions to atari7800podcast@aol.com on your Top 5 & Bottom5 (these submissions will get a little extra weight added for taking the time to send an e-mail) or your thoughts or memories on the system or any of the original games in general.

To guarantee your votes counts, please post or send them no later than Friday, November 18th at 11:18 PM EST

I will tally up the votes and release the results in next and final regular episode of the podcast.

WORST 5:

05. Title Match Pro Wrestling

04. Ace of Aces

03. RealSports Baseball

02. Tomcat - The F-14 Fighter Simulator

01. Touchdown Football

BEST 5:

05. Basketbrawl

04. Alien Brigade

03. Food Fight

02. Ninja Golf

=============================================================

WORST Runner-Ups:

06. Super Huey UH-IX

07. Jinks

08. Mat Mania Challenge

09. Meltdown

10. F-18 Hornet

BEST Runner-Ups*:

06. Robotron: 2084

07. Commando

08. Desert Falcon

09. Joust

10. Motor Psycho

*Honorable Mentions: Xevious, Xenophobe, Tower Toppler, Pole Position II, Ms. Pac-Man, Ikari Warriors, Galaga, Dig Dug, Dark Chambers, Crossbow, Centipede, Ballblazer, Asteroids.

Hall of Fame:

1. Food Fight

2. Ms. Pac Man

3. Crossbow

4. Dig Dug

5. One-on-One Basketball

(Honorable Mentions: Galaga, Asteroids)

Trash:

1. Karateka

2. Pole Position II

I only wanted to pick games I actually own (out of about 20), so even there are some games I don't like much (Tower Toppler), I didn't think they were Trash. I only wanted to give that distinction to games I truly despise. :)

Worst:

1.) Karateka

2.) F-18 Hornet

3.) Real Sports Baseball

4.) Touchdown football

5.) Super Huey

(Honorable Mention -Hat Trick)

Best:

1.) Food Fight

2.) Ballblazer

3.) Commando

4.) Dig Dug

5.) Ms. Pac-Man

(Honorable mentions - Xevious, Joust, and Ninja Golf, Ball Blazer and Centipede)

Wow, I e-mailed my list to Phil already but I'm shocked at seeing Super Huey on the worst lists. Maybe cause I have history with the computer version, but I thought the game was pretty good. Same goes for Ace of Aces.

The only positive comment I can make about Ace Of Aces on the 7800 is that it uses a 595 class pcb that supports 7+1 bankswitching. :lol:

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see Hat Trick in so many bottom 5 lists. It's not a great game, but I don't think it's terrible, either. Maybe just because it's fairly common and people (myself included) don't want to rate games we don't own or haven't played which leaves fewer available for the Trash. Judging by the shows, it sure seems like there were a lot more universally loathed titles. I suppose it wasn't rated well in the show that featured it. Oh well, that's what makes life fun, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I can't wrap my head around Scrapyard Dog being on any "worst of" list. Agree it isn't going to dethrone Mario as a platformer classic, but I thought it had great graphics, decent sound, lots of depth and was unusual on the system in general. The biggest flaw, IMO, is that it's too hard and unforgiving in spots.

But on a system where there are the likes of Karateka and Fight Night, I don't believe for a second in sits in that realm.

• Like 2

I can't wrap my head around Scrapyard Dog being on any "worst of" list. Agree it isn't going to dethrone Mario as a platformer classic, but I thought it had great graphics, decent sound, lots of depth and was unusual on the system in general. The biggest flaw, IMO, is that it's too hard and unforgiving in spots.

If continuing a game started the player on the same level of the current world a last life was lost on, it would make a considerable difference.
Thankfully, both RevEng's and KevinMos3's hacks (Kevin's also includes graphic improvements) provide unlimited lives; which not only keeps a player on the same level, but at the last checkpoint reached within that level after every death.
Both are included and downloadable from the 'HHDP' pack here.
  • Like 3

Best:

1. Robotron

2. Mario Bros.

3. Centipede

4. Ms. Pac-Man

5. Tower Toppler

Worst:

1. Summer Games

2. Winter Games

3. Karateka

4. Hat Trick

5. Barnyard Blaster

#5 on the "best" list is a tough one - a toss up between Donkey Kong j.r. and Tower Toppler.

Tower Toppler wins, because of its high resolution graphics and great sound. I wish all 7800 games had been this quality!

If continuing a game started the player on the same level of the current world a last life was lost on, it would make a considerable difference.
Thankfully, both RevEng's and KevinMos3's hacks (Kevin's also includes graphic improvements) provide unlimited lives; which not only keeps a player on the same level, but at the last checkpoint reached within that level after every death.
Both are included and downloadable from the 'HHDP' pack here.

I didn't even realize hacks had been done! thanks for sharing

• Like 1