IGNORED

Carina II, RoboWar II

Timothy Kline

Good morning, everyone!

After searching the topics and not seeing anything (recent), I thought it might just be simpler to ask outright whether Carina II 2.7 is available either for purchase or in dcm/atr format? My old copy was an .arc file (from Holmes?) but fails to extract.

I'm also looking for a working copy of RoboWar II, if at all possible, either via purchase or in a compressed archive format.

Thank you, in advance!

--Tim

Good morning, everyone!

After searching the topics and not seeing anything (recent), I thought it might just be simpler to ask outright whether Carina II 2.7 is available either for purchase or in dcm/atr format? My old copy was an .arc file (from Holmes?) but fails to extract.

I'm also looking for a working copy of RoboWar II, if at all possible, either via purchase or in a compressed archive format.

Thank you, in advance!

--Tim

Having a working copy of Carina would be awesome. Having documentation would be incredible.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I found these 3 files on my collection....I don't know why / if there's a number gap..

They do seem to be this Carina 2.7 from a text file on one

Its not my sort of thing but since they are 15mb files there must be something of use on there?

Hope they are of use...

I've also sent a message to someone who ran a bbs with Carina and Robowars II on it, its a long time ago so I can't guarantee a reply but trying to help.

carina_27_1.atr

carina_27_2.atr

carina_27_7.atr

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

I found these 3 files on my collection....I don't know why / if there's a number gap..

Its not my sort of thing but since they are 15mb files there must be something of use on there?

Hope they are of use...

I've also sent a message to someone who ran a bbs with Carina and Robowars II on it, its a long time ago so I can't guarantee a reply but trying to help.

Thank you!

These started for me, at least in Altirra. Looking forward to trying them on my system!

For Robowar II and other Carina files, Look Here

Took me a short time, but I got them all, thank you! I couldn't connect via FTP nor use my DTA download manager, so ... click, Save as, click, Save as, click... lol

The Arc file... how many arc unarc or super un-arc flavors have you tried?

Just unarc and Superunarc, as they've worked before on these archives. I suspect that the files just became corrupted sometime during the last 15 years or so after being moved from floppies to floppies, and floppies to hard drives. I've stumbled across a few other corrupted arc files this year, but have managed to find alternative sources online for nearly everything. Carina and Robowar were just eluding me.

Thank you to everyone who responded!!

--Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Mclaneinc, on 12 Nov 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hope they are of use...

The ATRs are labeled to corresponding drives, D1, D2, & D7. Carina will fart at you w/o those 3 drives available.

Edited by Triads

• 1 month later...

Now, we just need to find source code for M.O.E.

Are Jerry Horanoff or David Hunt still around?

There is some kind of carrier detect issue with M.O.E.

If I do this:

100 STATUS #2,X:?PEEK(747):GOTO 100

The value changes depending if I have an active telnet connection to the Lantronix (as it should).

but

If I have M.O.E. turned on, it never changes. Carina never sees carrier so it sits at the wait screen.

Has anyone gotten Carina to work with telnet?

Now, we just need to find source code for M.O.E.

Are Jerry Horanoff or David Hunt still around?

If I do this:

The value changes depending if I have an active telnet connection to the Lantronix (as it should).

but

If I have M.O.E. turned on, it never changes. Carina never sees carrier so it sits at the wait screen.

Has anyone gotten Carina to work with telnet?

I've been working on putting one up.... I got the Lantronix thing possibly solved but I don't know if it's a good solution.

But I'm having issues with RoboWar. Play once and it doesn't recognize it's a different day, so it tells you you're out of time and things go in an endless loop if it's the only game in that group.

(That's the main reason I won't put it up yet).

Your next questions is "what did you do to get it working".

My answer will be "I don't remember".

Profanity will follow......

Then I'll pipe in with something like "well, actually I kept notes of all the changes I made just for this very reason" (someone else wanting to know).

But I don't have those with me right now, so the community will have to wait till probably tomorrow to debate the merits of my solution to the problem.

(It's a Lantronix UDS 10 btw)

• Like 1

And I think it's working well with 19200 with my MIO too. (But this version is supposed to support ANSI and I can't figure that out).

I don't know how "complete" my files are or if they're the latest. The Shadow unfortunately didn't have a copy anymore. :(

I plan to at least finish the screens next weekend, but I've been focusing on SFHQ lately (actually got 2 new callers today!!!!)

If I do this:

but

As defined by the 850's R: driver protocol, location 747 (DVSTAT+1) only reflects control line status if the interface is not in concurrent mode. If concurrent mode is active, this location gives the input buffer level instead. This is because the R: driver has to send a command to the 850 to read the control lines, and it can't do that when the SIO bus is actively in use by the comm channel. I believe compatible R: drivers for other hardware generally maintain this protocol even if they do not have the same limitation.

From what I saw the last time I debugged Carina II, the unmodified WAITCALL at least wants to see RING and CONNECT from the modem. There were some timing issues that I had to work around in Altirra, one being that Carina II needed a minimum delay from ATA to CONNECT or else the BASIC code couldn't close and reopen the R: channel quickly enough to catch the CONNECT message. I forget what the changes were in the bf2k-modified WAITCALL.

And I think it's working well with 19200 with my MIO too. (But this version is supposed to support ANSI and I can't figure that out).

I don't know how "complete" my files are or if they're the latest. The Shadow unfortunately didn't have a copy anymore. :(

I plan to at least finish the screens next weekend, but I've been focusing on SFHQ lately (actually got 2 new callers today!!!!)

Carina II 2.7's ANSI is incomplete, this is why it is REM'd out as a logon choice. If you want to "turn it on" remove the REM's at lines 2165 & 2170 in WAITCALL. Even then you'll run into ansi not implemented in other modules, reverting back to ascii. The SETTINGS module does not have Ansi incorporated in Graphics Modes, says "Not Implemented Yet" when trying to switch to it. Carina 2.5 modified by Terry Ortman has good Ansi support, however most modules were released crippled (easily fixable) and I believe only supports 2400 baud, which can be fixed as well, but don't know if its worth the trouble, since you're going backwards.

I also had a conversation with David Hunt, and got the runaround about not having a local copy, and his intent to jump back into working on Carina 3 in the future ( the only thing here that comes to mind is Lance and BBS Express on Cart.. ha )

• Like 2

All files needed are on the Holmes CD2

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%202/Atari%20Archives/Telecomm/CARINA/FLESEC_U/DIR_B/index.html
MODULE26.ARC etc are actually Carina 2.5.

There are also ansi menu's and welcome screens as well.

Edited by Triads
  • Like 2

I also had a conversation with David Hunt, and got the runaround about not having a local copy, and his intent to jump back into working on Carina 3 in the future ( the only thing here that comes to mind is Lance and BBS Express on Cart.. ha )

Well, that's good to know about the ANSI....

As far as Dave Hunt. Not sure when you talked to him but I had sent him an email last January (2016) about purchasing the software if possible and getting the most up to date copy and this was his response. (I'm assuming there isn't anything special about me and that anyone who could get their hands on it would be able to run it). As for Ben, the copy on his site was corrupted.

I had asked him a follow up question about something, but never got an answer. I work on it now and then, but just never made it a priority based on the activity level of SFHQ and the Atari BBS's I call. Lately, SFHQ has had a bit more activity and I've been working on both.

Greetings Andy!

All of my Carina files are currently on hard drives that haven't been

fired up in over 10 years now. I don't currently have a Carina system up

and running, and can not offer much in the way of support. The internet

forced me to switch over to IBM's to make a living.

That being said, if you can find a copy of Carina, you are welcome to run

it with my blessings, free of charge. Ben Smith MIGHT have a copy...

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Cheers!

The Shadow

My conversation ended with David Hunt about 3 weeks or so ago. He says that his PC business is taking all of his time and Atari is on the backburner.

The file on Bens site does uncompress, but if you downloaded thru windows, you have to unblock it first as windows thinks it's potentially harmful.

My conversation with him was about getting all copies of his software for archival purposes. We are losing software daily and this is what he wrote to me-

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, The Shadow wrote:

Greetings Jason!

As I have told Ben Smith numerous times, between him and the UMICH Atari
 Archive, that is all that is available for Carina for now.

I may or may not have more, but my Atari days are on hold right now until I can
 make enough money to retire.  At that point, I plan on reviving my Atari's, as
 well as restarting my Carina BBS.

For the moment I am stuck working on PC's and the internet,because that's where
 the money is.  

If you have access to the usenet atari groups,which I no longer have access to,
 you may be able to pick up more from some of the former BBS operators, you can
 give them my blessings.

Cheers, Good Luck, & Happy Holidays!

The Shadow
 (David)
the conversation went on from there about Ansi support and such.

I thought I had Carina almost working. I removed all the baud rate stuff I could find and locked it to 9600. Set the variable M to 14 right before the XIO36 command.

I can connect no problem, and the system can close the Telnet connection.

However, I am having two problems. First, the easy one:

UDS-10 or the BBS (or both) are echoing characters. I get a duplicate of everything I type on the internet side. This is not related to the ATE0 / ATE1 command. That only changes echo on the Atari side.

The difficult one:

Sometimes it crashes hard, requiring reset to be pressed. It always crashes to the Self-Test screen. Sometimes with random characters, see picture.

The only time I see it happen is when It is recycling after some internet hacker scans port 23. It only sometimes does this, so I can't be sure if it happens when logging on locally or not. It hasn't yet. Not on my Windows machine or on the Atari. I suspect it may sometime, but no proof yet.

It may be related to a certain number of disconnects at the login prompt.

Could this be somehow related to the SpartaDOS 3.x Incognito clock problem? I don't know for sure if it is BASIC code related, or in one of the many, many USR routines.

It seems to happen right around the time when I hear several concurrent I/O switches and status commands.

Bluetooth / HiSIO are both turned off in the BIOS.

Any ideas?

post-13040-0-44639900-1487039987_thumb.jpg

Possible update:

I used UFLASH to change Incognito from Altirra BASIC to Atari BASIC Rev. C and Carina hasn't crashed since. This has been about an hour into the test, but it was crashing more than this before. It has NOT crashed since I switched to running it with BASIC C

(yet, we'll see.)