IGNORED

The Official AtariAge 2016 Secret Santa Thread

Grig

Please help a Secret Santa noob out. How exactly does this work? Do we send gifts to each other, do they have to be video game related? I'm guessing that you draw from the participants who sends gifts to whom, right?

Can a German participate? I don't mind shipping costs, but it may not be the same the other way round...

Edited by karokoenig

Please help a Secret Santa noob out. How exactly does this work? Do we send gifts to each other, do they have to be video game related? I'm guessing that you draw from the participants who sends gifts to whom, right?

Can a German participate? I don't mind shipping costs, but it may not be the same the other way round...

You send me a PM with your request to participate and your shipping info.

Include the answers to the questions posted at the beginning of the thread

I will send you a PM with your secret santa info

Send your Secret Santa a nice gift

Receive a nice gift from your secret santa

enjoy!

• Like 1

Grig will match you with a random person to send gift to. You will get some info like the victim willing participant's interest and hobbies, shirt size, etc. You then need to pack up a few things, within a set amount (I think $20 USD not counting shipping cost), gift wrapping them is optional but adds more layer of surprise and suspense to the victim. Then you send it to your person and let Grig know. Tracking or delivery confirmation information helps if it is possible.

You will also receive a gift from a mystery person who may be different person from the ones you're expected to send gift.

Gift can be anything but generally game related. Last year I sent someone a T-shirt with Nintendo theme, a custom made game cart shell (no game) based on a little joke I started after some fool tried to pass a fake Air Raid cart on eBay, a bag of candy, and a few BD movies. I got a few things from someone including a nice new Space Invader puzzle, a computer game, and an interesting movie DVD I had never seen before. (weird time loops for one person who eventually figures a way to exploit it)

I am from USA but I am open to shipping internationally. They can be expensive for some people but it's often worth the fun and involving more people by not limiting shipping or receiving to home country.

• Like 5

Perhaps a sensitive question, but how will one do with customs declaration for international packages? When it comes to declaring value, generally ~$35 is not a problem but if items are heavy and shipping costs are factored in, the recipient in some cases may have to pay import taxes and other fees, just so nobody gets surprised about that. Also customs generally don't like a declaration of content that just says "gift", it makes them suspicious, hold the package and prompt the recipient (!) to explain exactly what is supposed to be inside, which is difficult if I don't know what I'm getting or who sent it unless of course I relay such questions through the Secret Santa organizer. Of course one can be vague in the declaration so it technically is correct but doesn't spoil the fun for the recipient.

From my point of view, I have no trouble declaring a safe low value on the items, but I've understood that in particular people in the USA are very concerned against doing so.

I'd say be honest about the contents, be honest but conservative about their value, and mark the package as a "gift". Usually import fees are lower or nonexistent when a box is marked "gift" instead of "merchandise".

You don't have to be extremely specific when listing the contents. I've found that generic terms like "candy" or "video games" are good enough.

• Like 2