IGNORED

Falcon beginner - no c drive.

mrbrush

Hi everyone.

Well, i recently pulled out my old Atari Falcon from the loft and was trying to get it going again. It booted into the desktop with just the A and B floppy icons. I don't know anything about the Falcon but the C drive is definitely missing so I'm hoping someone has some idea how to get the hdd back because i don't know how to start. :? I have access to a floppy drive on an old pc and i did download TOS 4.2 and double clicked but nothing much happened. I know it's probably not as simple as that but what do you think is my next step? Do i need to load some emulator or buy the HDDriver software. Thanks in advance everyone.

Those internal 64mb drives that came with Falcon were a bit crappy, so you may need to prepare yourself for the worst (the ones in my Falcons both failed fairly sharply, both were Conner Peripherals units - who I'm not surprised are not still around). If AHDI doesn't work, take the top off the Falcon and listen to the drive when you turn the power on. You should be able to hear it spin up. If it doesn't it may have jammed, or if there is a clicking noise it is probably toast..

Morning everyone. Well i first tried the Alt + c but no luck there. So i went to get the system disks as suggested by dragonstomper, and i put "MultiTOS Hard Drive Installation Boot Disk, UK, Revision A" onto the floppy and clicked on a few things. No luck. Honestly i dont know what im doing because of the strange file formats, not sure what AHDI is either. Could anyone be a bit more specific in terms of - if i need a driver before i put in the Tos disks in. Sorry guys, im scratching my head on this.

What you need is a blank disk floppy formatted on the PC (standard format). On that disk create a folder called 'auto' and then copy AHDI.PRG into it. There may be another file which needs to go on there, but I think AHDI on its own should work. Put the disk in the drive and then reset the ST. As the ST boots it should flash up some black text on the white background saying something about AHDI, it may pause while it works out which hard disks are attached, which iirc correctly it should then list (very briefly). Your Falcon has the OS built into memory so you don't need anything else on the disk.

When its done this you will end up at the desktop. Go to the menu and click on the install devices entry. If it has worked your C drive should come back up. BTW best to go for AHDI version 6 for the Falcon, not sure lower versions will see an IDE drive (or at least might not work very well with the Falcon).

Edited by Zogging Hell