IGNORED

NES Classic Edition is Here!

Emehr

Anyway I also got an Edge joystick (for myself) and the first thing I did after I unboxed it was open it up and take a peek under the hood:

attachicon.gifInside_the_Edge_JoystickJPG.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that pic chip holds all the data and rom info. I somehow see it possible to dump that chip and then reprogram a new chip w/more games. This quite possibly could be very awesome. Once they come back in stock $60 for an hdmi complete nes library will be sweet.

So it's powered by usb? So if I was able to get my hands on a UK version, would every thing be good power wise here in the states?

Yes. But has it been confirmed yet that the PAL versions use 60Hz?

Very cool, thanks for the pic!

Bad news for Emio branded Edge joystick and NES gamepads... :_(

https://www.reddit.com/r/nes/comments/5cffby/the_edge_joystick_problems/

https://www.amazon.com/EMiO-Edge-Joystick-NES/dp/B01LZXP8CC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYYGBQM/ref=pd_bxgy_63_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I don't care how good the internals are (and they are excellent btw), if it doesn't work as advertised, that is FAIL in my book. Based on a few Reddit comments, it works fine through the Wiimote when used with Wii/Wii-U VC. In all likelyhood given the fact these products are not licensed by Nintendo, there is very little recourse for consumers who bought these thingies other than to simply return them to the store.

I wonder if there's any way to convert one of these things into an NES Advantage? The fact it likely runs 3V logic internally and has a glop top for the logic chip doesn't help much. Easiest solution would be to cut all traces on the circuit board and wire the switches directly to a custom breadboard with a 556 timer (dual 555) for the turbos. I'm up for a good IEEE challenge... :evil:

Yes. But has it been confirmed yet that the PAL versions use 60Hz?

Bad news for Emio branded Edge joystick and NES gamepads... :_(

https://www.reddit.com/r/nes/comments/5cffby/the_edge_joystick_problems/

https://www.amazon.com/EMiO-Edge-Joystick-NES/dp/B01LZXP8CC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYYGBQM/ref=pd_bxgy_63_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I don't care how good the internals are (and they are excellent btw), if it doesn't work as advertised, that is FAIL in my book. Based on a few Reddit comments, it works fine through the Wiimote when used with Wii/Wii-U VC. In all likelyhood given the fact these products are not licensed by Nintendo, there is very little recourse for consumers who bought these thingies other than to simply return them to the store.

I wonder if there's any way to convert one of these things into an NES Advantage? The fact it likely runs 3V logic internally and has a glop top for the logic chip doesn't help much. Easiest solution would be to cut all traces on the circuit board and wire the switches directly to a custom breadboard with a 556 timer (dual 555) for the turbos. I'm up for a good IEEE challenge... :evil:

What a shame, it looked like a nice thing otherwise. If you're going to take it apart, maybe you should stick a NES Mini or Raspberry Pi inside and make it into a more useful thing.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that pic chip holds all the data and rom info. I somehow see it possible to dump that chip and then reprogram a new chip w/more games. This quite possibly could be very awesome. Once they come back in stock $60 for an hdmi complete nes library will be sweet.

That image is for the joystick, not the NES Mini console. There are no ROMs inside the controller. Also the only logic chip (besides the tiny 8-pin one) is the massive glop top on the board.

I did get one NES Mini this morning and as much as I'd love to playtest it and probe around inside, it's staying sealed because I'm gifting it to my uncle in Florida. Besides I'm more than sure at least a few youtubers with more skills than I will get their hands on it and do video teardowns. I'd love to see Kevtris do a video on it.

What a shame, it looked like a nice thing otherwise. If you're going to take it apart, maybe you should stick a NES Mini or Raspberry Pi inside and make it into a more useful thing.

An NES Mini PCB would make a fantastic internal mod for the Edge, and there's probably enough space underneath to pull it off given the size of the Mini. But the fact the NES Mini and Edge joystick don't play well together would make efforts futile unless someone comes up with a mod to make this stick work.

An NES Mini PCB would make a fantastic internal mod for the Edge, and there's probably enough space underneath to pull it off given the size of the Mini. But the fact the NES Mini and Edge joystick don't play well together would make efforts futile unless someone comes up with a mod to make this stick work.

That "someone" is you! I thought you wanted an IEEE challenge ...

• Like 1

It looks like the NES Classic Edition controller will be a good source of parts for refurbishing an original NES controller. The internal bosses appear to be close enough for swapping an old PCB into the new housing. I wish they would have shown a picture of a completely disassembled one; I'd like to know if the rubber membrane switches are the same, since those are the only parts which wear out on an original controller. I assume they are the same, since I don't see how they could use anything different when the rest of the design is practically identical to the original.

Replacement rubber membranes are super cheap to buy online. I personally see no reason to purchase these controllers to use as parts controllers. Even Original nes controllers in good working order do not cost as much as these things do.

What's your favorite source for stuff like that? I saw a link to this from another AA thread (from 2009!) but wouldn't know which one to choose.

Replacement rubber membranes are super cheap to buy online.

They aren't OEM.

I personally see no reason to purchase these controllers to use as parts controllers.

I do. They are made of brand new OEM parts.

Even Original nes controllers in good working order do not cost as much as these things do.

The MSRP on these new NES Mini controllers is only $10 each. Original, used ones can be had cheaper, and they may work okay, but inside you'll often find tears in the rubber membrane switch, like this:

59gGqRA.jpg

And even if there aren't tears yet, they are probably well on their way.

If you're going to use aftermarket rubber switches, you might as well buy an aftermarket controller, since the switches are what determine the feel of activating the D-pad and buttons. Also, who knows what sort of quality the rubber and conductive coating on the contacts is with aftermarket stuff?

I don't have any need of this for my main NES, as I have two NOS original controllers for it, which I got recently for $25 each, but I have some well-used NES controllers laying around (along with other NES consoles) that could use new switches, and as a bonus, I'd get brand new everything (shell, buttons, and D-pad), aside from the PCB and cord.

Edited by MaximRecoil

These classic minis are not OEM NES either.

OEM means "original equipment manufacturer". "NES" isn't a manufacturer.

Hey whatever floats your boat. If you want pay $10 for some rubbers go right ahead.

And shell, and buttons, and D-pad, all brand new, all OEM. I guess you "forgot" that you also get those things, right? You know, because it was so long ago that I posted:

"[...] and as a bonus, I'd get brand new everything (shell, buttons, and D-pad), aside from the PCB and cord."

There is no difference in the feel of rubber membranes.

Or so you say. There is also a potential quality difference, both in the type of rubber used and the electrically-conductive black coating on the contact points. Nintendo has always made excellent quality controllers, so sticking with their parts is a safe bet.

Now you are starting to sound like a princess who can feel a pea under her mattress.

Baseless assertions have no validity.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Maxim if you want to buy a classic mini controller to swap out the guts by all means you go right ahead. I find it quite hypocritical to talk about wanting OEM and state the reason you want to use a controller made 30 years later is to stay OEM.

The classic mini is NOT OEM to the Nintendo system 30 years ago, that is what I am saying. It is OEM to the classic mini of today.

You think Nintendo just used left over controllers, rubbers, and buttons from a warehouse they had stocked for the past 30 years, yeah ok.

My other point is there are plenty of original NES OEM controllers that can be purchased for the price of this mini controller. For someone like yourself who is so anal about everything being original hardware that heaven forbid you use aftermarket rubber pads that you will never see or feel besides the spring they give the real buttons which in my opinion feels just fine, one would think you would obviously spend the $$ on actual OEM NES and not OEM classic mini!

I get you are saying all of it is OEM Nintendo and you are trying to say just because it is Nintendo that is good enough for you, regardless of the fact they are not original parts from 30 years ago. Whatever floats your boat. As long as Nintendo used it, you are happy.

They aren't OEM.

I do. They are made of brand new OEM parts.

The MSRP on these new NES Mini controllers is only $10 each. Original, used ones can be had cheaper, and they may work okay, but inside you'll often find tears in the rubber membrane switch, like this:

59gGqRA.jpg

And even if there aren't tears yet, they are probably well on their way.

If you're going to use aftermarket rubber switches, you might as well buy an aftermarket controller, since the switches are what determine the feel of activating the D-pad and buttons. Also, who knows what sort of quality the rubber and conductive coating on the contacts is with aftermarket stuff?

I don't have any need of this for my main NES, as I have two NOS original controllers for it, which I got recently for $25 each, but I have some well-used NES controllers laying around (along with other NES consoles) that could use new switches, and as a bonus, I'd get brand new everything (shell, buttons, and D-pad), aside from the PCB and cord.

Yes but original controllers do not work with this thing. I have some adapters but can't test as I do not have mini classic box yet. So the ones that come with it are good enough for now.

Maxim if you want to buy a classic mini controller to swap out the guts by all means you go right ahead. I find it quite hypocritical to talk about wanting OEM and state the reason you want to use a controller made 30 years later is to stay OEM.

There is nothing "hypocritical" about it. The original NES controller was a Nintendo product. The new NES mini controller is a Nintendo product. Again, OEM refers to the manufacturer. I have a '69 Dodge Coronet steering column in my '69 Dodge Charger, and it is OEM, as well as an exact fit, despite being originally installed in a different product line. They are both Chrysler products.

The classic mini is NOT OEM to the Nintendo system 30 years ago, that is what I am saying. It is OEM to the classic mini of today.

OEM doesn't mean what you think it means.

You think Nintendo just used left over controllers, rubbers, and buttons from a warehouse they had stocked for the past 30 years, yeah ok.

Given that I never claimed, suggested, nor even hinted at any such thing, this sentence of yours is straight out of deep left field.

My other point is there are plenty of original NES OEM controllers that can be purchased for the price of this mini controller.

Not NOS ones. Aside from the PCB and cord, you'll end up with a brand new, Nintendo-brand NES controller.

For someone like yourself who is so anal

So you're a "troll" then? There's nothing "anal" about preferring OEM controllers to aftermarket ones. The only aftermarket ones that are any good are the ones specifically built to a high quality standard, such as ones which use real arcade joysticks and buttons. That doesn't apply to unauthorized imitations of the originals made in some random Chinese factory.

about everything being original hardware that heaven forbid you use aftermarket rubber pads that you will never see or feel besides the spring they give the real buttons which in my opinion feels just fine, one would think you would obviously spend the $$ on actual OEM NES and not OEM classic mini!

For the third time, it isn't just about "feel", not that I'd take anyone else's word on that anyway.

I get you are saying all of it is OEM Nintendo and you are trying to say just because it is Nintendo that is good enough for you, regardless of the fact they are not original parts from 30 years ago. Whatever floats your boat. As long as Nintendo used it, you are happy.

Why should I care that they are not "original parts from 30 years ago"? In fact, newly-manufactured is theoretically better in this case, because both rubber and plastic deteriorate with age, to varying degrees. I trust Nintendo's quality when it comes to making controllers, so if that's an option, that's what I'll go with.

Also, you're arguing for an alternative that isn't even comparable to this. Buying knockoff rubber switches, even if they were just as good, doesn't get you a new shell, D-pad, and buttons, and buying a used original doesn't get you new anything (plus I already have used originals; that's the whole point).

Edited by MaximRecoil

Yes but original controllers do not work with this thing. I have some adapters but can't test as I do not have mini classic box yet. So the ones that come with it are good enough for now.

I'm not talking about using original controllers with this thing. I'm talking about using the new NES Mini controllers as a source of parts to refurbish an original NES controller, for use with an original NES. From the pictures, it appears that everything is interchangeable aside from the PCB and cord.

Hyperkin is better known to me -- presumably they will have tested this with a real NES Classic, unlike the other company?

Hopefully. Hyperkin is more like "Yeah, we tested it to work, except we reversed the up and down buttons. You don't mind, do you?"

• Like 1