IGNORED

ColecoVision Controller Keypad Issue

malarrya

Hey guys!

I've been playing with my CV a lot lately and recently got the game Nova Blast off of eBay. I cleaned and repaired everything on the CV a while ago including the controllers but just now found out that the ASTERISK (*) button on one of them doesn't seem to work. Nova Blast needs this button pressed to start the game. My question is, everything else (as far as I can tell) works on the keypad (even the # key) except the * button. Is there something I can do to locate the cause of the malfunction?

In other words, I am not sure how 12 buttons on the keypad are translated into 1 or 2 wires that feed into the CV but it seems to me if all the buttons except this one work the problem may be with the ribbon cable? If so, is this something that can be repaired easily?

Thanks,

Larry

I found this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159346-controler-keypad-not-working/

It seems to say the cause may be a trace broken although peeling back the top layer I don't readily see a broken trace. The ribbon that plugs into the board is slightly frayed on the left side but it's definitely not split.

Does someone on the board repair these or can trade a working one with mine + $?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like it is a broken trace:

post-47537-0-41486400-1478971532_thumb.jpg

Edited by malarrya

Thanks, Milli V. I am actually refurbishing/repairing this system for sale and, with the cost I've already incurred, I'd be lucky to break even. I was hoping to find a cheap way to fix this. I did think that it may be possible to sand down the plastic around the broken trace and use metal ventilation tape to complete the circuit but I am not sure that will work. I will definitely keep you in mind if one of my main controllers dies :)

This may be a stupid question but here goes... I know I can fix the trace by sanding the plastic and using a trace pen to draw another trace but would this work as well... How about putting a small staple on the trace to bridge the connection? Would that work?

Thanks!

This may be a stupid question but here goes... I know I can fix the trace by sanding the plastic and using a trace pen to draw another trace but would this work as well... How about putting a small staple on the trace to bridge the connection? Would that work?

Thanks!

Long as it allows the elec circuit to complete, should work. That route is a little suspect, but I knew a guy who only used alligator clips and paper clips.

• Like 1

Thanks!

If you are reselling it I would suggest not, unless you tell the buyer - I have refurbished a lot of adam parts that were fixed with hot glue, tape etc- messy and ruins the original (and getting rarer) parts