IGNORED

Telegames released in the US?

rapoza609

Telegames had a big warehouse in Texas. They sold a ColecoVision clone called the DINA that had a beige case, wired NES-style joypads, and a numeric keypad on the console.

They had what seemed to me like extensive ColecoVision stock, and they definitely sold to the United States. I was more into the Atari Jaguar by then, so $30 ColecoVision games seemed pretty crazy.

Here's the Wayback view from late 1996. Shocking prices!

ColecoVision Products

DINA COLECO COMPATIBLE SYSTEM…………..$49.95

ORIGINAL COLECO KEYPAD CONTROLLER……$24.95

QUICKSHOT 3 JOYSTICK………………………….$29.95

Personal Arcade VOLUME 1 (FOR PC)……$14.95

2010 ACTION……………………$29.95

ALCAZAR………………………..$29.95

AMAZING BUMPMAN…………$29.95

ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE….…$24.95

ARTILLERY DUEL……..………..$29.95

BASEBALL *(S)………..………..$24.95

BEAMRIDER….…………………$24.95

BLACKJACK/POKER……………$29.95

BLOCKADE RUNNER…………..$24.95

BOXING *(S)…………………….$24.95

BRAIN STRAINERS……………..$29.95

BUCK RODGERS………………..$29.95

BURGERTIME……………..….…$24.95

CABBAGE PATCH KIDS………..$29.95

CABB PATCH PICTURE SHOW.$29.95

CARNIVAL………………………$19.95

CHOPLIFTER……………..……..$24.95

CONGO BONGO………….…….$24.95

COSMIC AVENGER……………$24.95

COSMIC CRISIS……………….$24.95

CROSS FORCE…………………$29.95

DAMBUSTERS…………………$29.95

DESTRUCTOR *(D)……………$29.95

DONKEY KONG…………….…$24.95

DONKEY KONG, JR…………..$24.95

DUKES OF HAZZARD *(D)……$29.95

EVOLUTION……………………$19.95

FACE MAKER…………………..$29.95

FATHOM……………….………..$24.95

FLIPPPER SLIPPER……………..$19.95

FOOTBALL *(S)…………………$29.95

FORTUNE BUILDER……..…….$29.95

FRACTION FEVER………..……$24.95

FRENZY………………………….$24.95

FROGGER II……………………..$24.95

FROGGER……………………….$29.95

FRONTLINE *(S)………………..$29.95

GORF……………………………$24.95

GROG'S REVENGE…………….$29.95

GYRUSS………………………..$19.95

HERO……………………….…..$24.95

ILLUSIONS…………………….$29.95

ITS ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL…...$29.95

JUKE BOX……………….…….$29.95

JUMPMAN JR…………………$24.95

JUNGLE HUNT………………..$29.95

KEYSTONE KAPERS…………$29.95

KUNG FU SUPERKICKS……...$29.95

LADYBUG……………………..$29.95

LOOPING………………………$29.95

MOTOCROSS RACER………...$19.95

MOUNTAIN KING…………….$24.95

MOUSETRAP…………………..$29.95

MR. DO…………………………$24.95

MR. DO'S CASTLE……………..$29.95

NOVA BLAST…………………..$29.95

OIL'S WELL……………………..$29.95

OMEGA RACE…………………..$29.95

ONE ON ONE…………………..$24.95

PEPPER II……………………….$24.95

PITFALL II………………………$24.95

PITFALL…………………………$19.95

POPEYE………………………….$29.95

QBERT……………………………$29.95

QUEST FOR QUINTANA ROO…$29.95

RIVER RAID…………………..…$19.95

ROBIN HOOD………………..….$29.95

ROCK N BOLT…………………$29.95

ROCK N ROPE…………………$29.95

ROCKY *(S)…………………….$29.95

ROLLOVERTURE………………$19.95

SAMMY LIGHTFOOT………….$29.95

SEWER SAM……………………$24.95

SLURPY…………………………$29.95

SMURF PAINT & PLAY………..$24.95

SMURF………………………….$24.95

SOCCER *(S)……………………$29.95

SPACE FURY……………………$19.95

SPACE PANIC…………………..$24.95

SPECTRON………………………$29.95

SQUISH'EM SAM……………….$29.95

STRIKE IT……………………….$24.95

SUBROC…………………………$29.95

TANK WAR……..………………$24.95

TAPPER………………………….$29.95

TARZAN…………………………$29.95

TELLY TURTLE…………………$29.95

THRESHOLD……………………$29.95

TIME PILOT…………………….$29.95

TOMARK BARBARIAN………..$29.95

TOURNAMENT TENNIS……….$19.95

VENTURE……………………….$24.95

VICTORY *®………………….$19.95

WAR ROOM.…………………..$24.95

WARGAMES……………………$29.95

WING WAR…………………….$24.95

WORD FUED…………………..$29.95

ZAXXON………………………$19.95

ZENJI…………………………..$19.95

*Requires:

*(S) Super Action Controller

*(D) Driving Module

*® Roller Controller
  • Like 1

Telegames had a big warehouse in Texas. They sold a ColecoVision clone called the DINA that had a beige case, wired NES-style joypads, and a numeric keypad on the console.

They had what seemed to me like extensive ColecoVision stock, and they definitely sold to the United States. I was more into the Atari Jaguar by then, so $30 ColecoVision games seemed pretty crazy.

Here's the Wayback view from late 1996. Shocking prices!

Oh man, that hits me right in the nostalgiaz. I used to cruise Telegames' site in the late '90s (as well as sites like 4Jays) and was amazed by everything.

I got quite a bit of 2600 stuff from Telegames in the early '00s before they stopped selling that stuff. My brother got a bunch of Jaguar stuff. I wish I'd asked for a DINA for Christmas instead of the handful of NOS common 2600 games I got instead (hey, they were new to me!). :-D

• Like 1

What was the name of the warehouse with all the Atari 2600 and 7800 new old stock?

I think that was O'Sheas IIRC.

as well as sites like 4Jays) and was amazed by everything.

4Jays is still around actually, I went to their physical store in Antioch and bought a few things there. They've still got fairly decent prices considering the state of the market these days.
  • Like 2

4Jays is still around actually, I went to their physical store in Antioch and bought a few things there. They've still got fairly decent prices considering the state of the market these days.

Me too! It's been a few years... And man, are they out in the middle of N-O-W-H-E-R-E, California!. Yep, they have a lot of cool stuff. There is (was?) also a pretty cool classic video game store in a small town called Brentwood, which I hit up on the way back to Sac.

What was the name of the warehouse with all the Atari 2600 and 7800 new old stock?

http://www.oshealtd.com/atari.htm

They still have the page up, but they're all sold out and have been for years.

Last price was $5 each, which seemed outrageous at the time but doesn't anymore. I bought as many as I could afford as a poor college student when they were 80 cents each. I still have a few that I've never opened. I'm quite sure that many of these are still on Ebay, now probably for $20 each.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get some information on the colecovision games released by telegames. We're those games released in the UK only or were they also released in the US?

Their games where/are sold all over the world seeing as they where/are a mail-order firm (based in the UK) and they did not make their CV game releases region/country specific. Check the Collector's List for further details:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221017-colecovision-adam-computer-collectors-lists-updated/

• 9 months later...

Almost forgot that I scanned one of their catalogs a few years back....

Sorry for the necrobump, but do you happen to know the date on this catalog? My guess is 1987 judging by the NES titles available (I think Rush 'N Attack came out in '87, for instance).

I also notice the DINA/Personal Arcade system isn't listed (I read Telegames started selling those in 1988); when did Telegames stop selling Colecovision consoles?

Pretty sure the catalog is circa 1987.

It was the early 90's when Telegames stop selling the Personal Arcade by no decision of their own... the warehouse was severly damaged by a hurricane or tornado.

Cool, thanks!

I meant actual Coleco consoles, though. Any idea when Telegames discontinued/ran out of those?

The whole Telegames thing can be a bit of a curveball that any ColecoVision collector will have to sort out at some point in their journey.

I myself realized some of my Coleco/ADAM cartridge shells were slightly different than others.

Telegames are in a grey area of what might be considered official releases or not. It really just comes down to hundred picky you want to be because they do exist & are vintage & not repro or bootlegs.

Most of their carts shells are different on back & sides are more slanted.

Seems they bought up some licences & old stock I assume after the crash & released 2nd run original game variants.

Much of the old stock has been selling on eBay out of Texas or Florida or England with some still on eBay; some being quite expensive while others are less I assume do to surplus.

Originally sold in mostly green plastic clamshell cases with usually black & white photo-copied insert and/or instructions. Some had color inserts and/or color instructions or even a red clamshell such as Gorf.

Silver label & quite rare...

Amazing Bumpman (CBS cart shell)

Bolderdash

Cosmic Crisis

Rock N Bolt

Skiing (CBS cart shell)

Strike It

Tank War

Other "generic" Telegame releases...

Antarctic Adventure

Burgertime

Chuck Norris Super Kicks (Activision cart shell)

Congo Bongo

Evolution

Fathom (no label)

Flipper Slipper

Football, Super Action

Football, "Soccer" (CBS label)

Frogger II

Gorf (CBS cart shell)

Gyruss

Motocross racer (Activision cart shell)

Mr. Do's Castle

One On One (CBS label)

Pepper II (Made in U.S.A. surplus cart shell)

Tournament Tennis (Activision cart shell)

Wing War (no label)

This list shows Telegames released five cartridges. The others would be rereleases/variations. Boulder Dash was in this list but a search showed an alternate original label. Alcazar and Rock'n Bolt would be unreleased games at Activision.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223477-niads-original-135-colecovision-games-list/

TeleGames UK/USA

140. Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress (Activision)

141. Amazing Bumpman (Number Bumper by Sunrise Software)

143. Rock'N Bolt (Activision)

144. Skiing

Edited by mr_me

I've got kind of a soft spot for Telegames. When I was first starting out in retrogaming in the late '90s, Telegames was one of the only places where you could still get "new old" game systems and games. I found them on the internet and it was one of my first real exposures to the Colecovision. Yeah, mainly just a long list of titles with "$29.99" or "$34.99" next to them, but it was intriguing nonetheless. It was amazing that that old stuff was still being supported. And I loved the idea that while my friends talked about the new PlayStation or Nintendo 64 games they were playing, I could be all, "That's cool. I just got Wing War for Coleco!" :-D

Anyway, I've got a Gateway To Apshai that I assume was a Telegames release. CBS-style shell with a plain white label (well, mine's pretty well ridden with actiplaque :P ) that just says "Colecovision Video Game," and then the title underneath.

I just got the Telegames version of Frogger II last week as well; interesting that instead of just taking old Parker Bros. labels and putting them on their shells (upside down...which on the Coleco would actually be rightside up :-D ), they ran an entirely new label with the PB "wedge" label superimposed onto a rectangular black label. It looks like Telegames did the same thing for Gyruss, except the label is oriented the "correct" way (i.e. appearing upside down). Consistency was not a priority, I guess. :P

I really hope Classic Game Source survives these crazy hurricanes (they're located in FL); I was just starting to get some of their Telegames carts here and there and was hoping to pick up a couple more. And then suddenly there's a monster hurricane heading straight for Florida. :(

Yeah, I felt the same way about Telegames. They were kind of a bridge between the old 8bits and the new generation, kind of like INTV Corp. I think much of the Telegames Texas stock was wiped out by a natural disaster. :-(

They did a wacky port of Yars' Revenge on the GameBoy Color. It's included (built in) on the bootleg GB Boy Colour.

Yeah, I felt the same way about Telegames. They were kind of a bridge between the old 8bits and the new generation, kind of like INTV Corp. I think much of the Telegames Texas stock was wiped out by a natural disaster. :-(

They did a wacky port of Yars' Revenge on the GameBoy Color. It's included (built in) on the bootleg GB Boy Colour.

My brother and I got a bit of stuff from Telegames in the years before they discontinued all the classic stuff. I got several 2600 titles, and my brother got a bunch of Jaguar stuff in the Christmases and birthdays immediately before 2004--new console, new CD, a multitap, a half-dozen new cart titles, a couple of new CD games. He also got Santa Claus Saves The Earth for Game Boy Advance for some reason--the game is still something of an in-joke between us :P. I remember seeing that GBC version of Yars' Revenge in GameStop (or whatever the place was called at the time) and thinking it was sort of remarkable to see a Telegames title in a retail setting. :-D

It was great because we could get the catalogs, circle what we wanted, and give it to our grandpa, and that took care of his Christmas shopping for us. :-D And it really helped that it was all NOS product as well as phone/mail order; eBay was still a fairly new thing that my parents either didn't really trust or simply didn't want to bother with, and my grandpa couldn't have even turned on a computer if his life depended on it. And nobody wanted to give "used" stuff as gifts (hey, I wouldn't have complained!). So Telegames really helped us out. :)

I never did get any Coleco stuff from them BITD though. Pretty sure they were out of DINA systems by then, so I couldn't really get a Coleco system since I never saw any locally in thrifts or rummages, and I was still in junior high with very little money of my own, so I couldn't just hop on eBay and grab one (which my parents probably wouldn't have allowed anyway). And it didn't make sense to buy games for a system I didn't have. :/

The first time I ever even heard of the Colecovision was in an EGM article about retro systems; they depicted a DINA with what I now know to be the Telegames version of Frogger II. I'm guessing one of the writers or editors, lacking any examples of an actual Coleco unit, hit up Telegames for a system and cart to have something to show in the article.

• Like 1