IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

You are welcome to check out the take apart pictures I made of the pre-production model I did at one point and see if you can determine anything from that:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254611-atari-flashback-portable/page-20?do=findComment&comment=3637891

I'm over a month late replying, but your pictures of the pre-production model were the ones I had already looked at. Thanks for that contribution! If you're game for taking it aaaaallll apart once again, though, well hey, I won't stop you. ;) In no small part because I can't reach you from way over here, even with a spatula. Those who are within spatula range, however . . . .

onmode-ky

• 1 month later...

I can't get Threes to work so if it's not fixable can it be listed as not compatible?

I tested several versions of THREE·S and found that v0.7 version's title screen works perfectly, but gameplay is scrambled for each version released EXCEPT, for v0.3 & v0.4 look like they are playable.......... possible Thomas or Nukey Shay can work on it for you...........

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Portable today. Many thanks for this FAQ! It'll probably be 2 months before I could get access to the card reader for downloading games onto my SD card, but I hope to download some Activision titles, arcade ports and homebrews like Omicron and Juno First. I remember reading a FBP-compatible version for the latter somewhere. Hopefully it won't be hard to find. Also, no character limit on the file names, I assume.

Oh one more question: do they only work with NTSC Roms? I'm hoping to put Klax onto it and as far as I know the NTSC version is only a prototype and I'm not sure if it's available for download or complete. (I'll check the AtariAge page for it afterwards) Would PAL games suffer on the FBP?

Edited by Tangentg

Missing from the list:

I was able to get Dungeon, Omicron and Avalanche to work, though Dungeon and Avalanche suffered from file corruption problems that permanently corrupts 2 files (if I fix those then 2 other files go corrupt) on the SD card (it's possible though that they're a local problem rather than a problem with the games themselves) got around the problem by leaving 2 junk files and renaming the "real" files to get them to work.

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 2

Ms Hack has severe graphical glitches and L.E.M. is unplayable cause your ship keeps exploding (also the menu is glitched up).

Flashback 2 version of Space Duel works (and without the more glitchy dots in Stella).

Kinda hope someone could hack Galaxian to make it playable or get rid of the graphical glitches in Midnight Magic and Pressure Cooker too.

And perhaps a FBP hack for Codebreaker. These are games I'd like to play on mine.

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 2

Hack'Em / Ms.Hack won't ever be playable on the portable. They hit CTRLPF at variable times...and the portable has demonstrated a *very* short window allowed for that (it's not true to how a real machine operates). Galaxian hits the sprite position reset multiple times per scanline, a trick that the portable also does not allow.

Hack'Em / Ms.Hack won't ever be playable on the portable. They hit CTRLPF at variable times...and the portable has demonstrated a *very* short window allowed for that (it's not true to how a real machine operates). Galaxian hits the sprite position reset multiple times per scanline, a trick that the portable also does not allow.

Aww I see, so no modification would make it work huh

Thanks for the reply.

Aardvark is a homebrew in development which just I've made compatible with AFP http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259694-aardvark-for-atari-vcs2600/

Also I've confirmed that Space Raid also works with AFP. http://nanochess.org/space_raid.html

And 1K Atomchess also fully functional http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260741-1k-atomchess-for-atari-vcs2600/

• Like 3

The Elk Attack hack Electric Yo-yo works, and since the only thing the hack changed is the title screen, Elk Attack should work too, on the Flashback Portable. Stampede seems to run fine though it's my first few times playing it so I'm not terribly sure how it's supposed to be.