Atari Flashback Portable FAQ Compatibility List

565 replies to this topic

#551 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 699 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2017 9:16 AM

Say, I noticed how it's technically the Atari Flashback - Portable Game Player so it might make sense to call it the PGP but everyone just says (Atari) Flashback Portable and abbreviate it as AFP or FBP.

AFP, as AT Games also has made the SEGA Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player. So calling it PGP would be confusing, as to which one you are talking about.

#552 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:05 PM

Oh hm I didn't know that. That's true it would be confusing, yeah.

#553 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:53 PM

MASH has graphical problems during the operation screen in that half of the screen looks corrupted, but it should probably still be playable.

#554 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,587 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:56 AM

CTRLPF problem again. Might be fixable in that game, tho (kernel doesn't appear to be too busy).

#555 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 13,098 posts
  • \m/

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:16 AM

Has anyone else tested Star Trek? When I played it, it was playable but the scoring was messed up.

#556 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,587 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 AM

I'd hacked Star Trek to fix the score display & input. Post 183 here: http://atariage.com/...er-hacks/page-8

#557 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 13,098 posts
  • \m/

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 AM

I downloaded Arenafoot's file but there are still games that do not work. Tac/Scan is one of them - has anyone fixed this one?

#558 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,190 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 PM

Tac/Scan used paddles in the right controller port, so it would have to be hacked to work.

#559 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,587 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:12 PM

I started to work on a stick version a while back, but I didn't get the problems completely ironed out. It's playable, tho. Adding to the hack topic.

#560 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,235 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:19 AM

I started to work on a stick version a while back, but I didn't get the problems completely ironed out. It's playable, tho. Adding to the hack topic.

I sent you a PM the other day about possibly helping out with something at AtGames. Not sure if you got it, so that's why I'm posting here. Thanks.

#561 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,587 posts

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 AM

I'd rather expect them to improve their emulator (something I know nothing about), than "officially" rely on hacks to make games playable.

#562 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 699 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 AM

Works good enough for me to play on the AFP! Thanks Nukey!!

#563 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 731 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 PM

I'd rather expect them to improve their emulator (something I know nothing about), than "officially" rely on hacks to make games playable.

No problem. I'll tell them you're not interested.

#564 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:08 AM

Besides, even the hacks themselves only make the game playable if you know what you're doing. They're often not presentable as products imo. Like e.g. Beamrider and Robot Tank have duplicated life sprites on the left of the screen (the latter of which has other graphical glitches), and Caverns of Mars has duplicated score and fuel digits on the right side, etc. This is not what I would consider presentable in a product that's sold for money, just what us Atari fans "make do with". Granted the games that actually come with the system do not have such graphical glitches (though I've noticed a sound glitch in Millipede where the millipede becomes silent when you aren't shooting) so at least AtGames knows a bit about what they're doing, but still including paddle games and dual-controller games (doesn't that space attack thing game or whatever the name is require a second controller? I forgot the name of the game) while not providing a paddle or plug-in second cont seems a bit weird.

Edited by Tangentg, Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 AM.

#565 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,587 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:42 AM

The issue is that there is little motivation to fix what is broken when you start to rely on altered games. Worse, each iteration of future portables can exhibit a whole new set of problems to work around. AFAIK, all the hacks done thus far may not work on the next version.

#566 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 731 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:52 PM

Don't worry about it. They're taking a different path more in line with what you're suggesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari Flashback Portable, FAQ, Compatibility List

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users