IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

I made a thread in this forum section where I posted a MDB but I couldn't test it myself cause I don't have this console. It's not worth the effort unless you have a small collection or find a way to automate it.

I have a small collection of 50 games on my SD card. I only put the ones I truly love to play that work on the portable. No sense in having to scroll through a long list of games you don't like or play! :)

I grabbed the Screen Gopher utility and will give that a shot this weekend. It has a GUI so hopefully it will be easy to use.

• Like 1

You can skip that second step. Like most devices, the AFP sorts files based on their creation date, so just deleting it and pasting a new one (which will have a newer date) will automatically send the game to the end of the list.

That's how the file sorting programs work, they just edit all of the dates for you.

This worked. In fact all you have to do is make sure you have a backup copy on a flash drive, create a new game folder in the SD card, the select the last game first then the first game last while holding the shift key. Then just copy them over and it puts them in the order it copy's them (alphabetically).

By the way, I found out you can put spaces in the filename as long as the first letter in the filename is capitalized and the rest are lowercase. The screen displays 17 characters including the extension if the filename is short enough. So having a game like Lord of the rings.bin will display LORD OF THE RINGS which suits me just fine! :grin:

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

By the way, I found out you can put spaces in the filename as long as the first letter in the filename is capitalized and the rest are lowercase. The screen displays 17 characters including the extension if the filename is short enough. So having a game like Lord of the rings.bin will display LORD OF THE RINGS which suits me just fine! :grin:

Good to know, I'll have my library all properly labeled and ready to go on the 25th. :)

• Like 1

Maybe this is in the thread, but are subfolders possible?

Edit - Doesn't matter because I can't get the basics of the SD Card to work. When I choose the SD Card Browser icon (red button) from the menu, it brings up the word "loading" and then goes back to the menu. This is also what it does with no card inserted.

This is all I have on my card:

Game

Phoenix.bin

Spcinvad.bin

The card says SanDisk Ultra II on it and it is a 2gb card. I formatted it fully in FAT 32 and FAT and got the same result each time.

I guess I will try another card. Anything obvious that I am missing here?

Edit Again - Stella can run both those roms from the same SD card when inserted into a W10 computer without issue.

Wongo - try reformatting with the SD card utility I linked a while back

Ok, eventually using SD Formatter identified the problem for me. Earlier today, I was using a cheap USB SD card reader in Win10. I tried again using the built-in card reader on my Win7 laptop - no go. However, when I used SD Formatter while it was plugged into the built in reader, it told me that either the card or the drive was not supported. I tried a different cheap-o USB card reader and SD Formatter allowed me to format the card. After a quick format, everything worked, so your suggestion helped me identify a problem, but I'm not sure if I needed to format the card with it. Who cares, it works now.

I will say that I don't think they have to worry about mass piracy launching because of this device. No way the average Joe is going to figure out how to get roms on this thing.

• Like 2

The compatibility list shows "Adventures of TRON" as running perfectly, but I cannot get it to start. It stays on the title screen and even that has a weird glitch, as most of the "O" in TRON is missing, making it look more like an "I".

The list says "Miner 2049er" and part 2 work perfectly but neither load for me. The ROMs for these and TRON are from the zipped archive on the first page of this post.

Also, although the list says "Stay Frosty 2" does not work, it does not have an entry for "Stay Frosty" which, unfortunately, does not work either (doesn't boot).

And "Princess Rescue" is pretty odd. Boots and runs somewhat, but enemy behavior is odd with many of them just standing in place. Tons of flickering, too.

Lastly, the most recent version of "Rally X" boots but, very mysteriously, only the score and radar appear and at the top of the screen.

I wonder if there's any way rip a copy of the "Space Invaders" game that was included on the preview version for use on the SD card?

As far as I'm aware it's just a Color Space Invaders arcade ROM but I'm not sure if you could go about getting that working on the SD card somehow.

Edited by Obviously

The compatibility list shows "Adventures of TRON" as running perfectly, but I cannot get it to start. It stays on the title screen and even that has a weird glitch, as most of the "O" in TRON is missing, making it look more like an "I".

The list says "Miner 2049er" and part 2 work perfectly but neither load for me. The ROMs for these and TRON are from the zipped archive on the first page of this post.

Also, although the list says "Stay Frosty 2" does not work, it does not have an entry for "Stay Frosty" which, unfortunately, does not work either (doesn't boot).

And "Princess Rescue" is pretty odd. Boots and runs somewhat, but enemy behavior is odd with many of them just standing in place. Tons of flickering, too.

Press a direction on the Dpad to start adventures of tron.

Miner 2049r volume does work, volume 2 does not.

Miner2049Erstarringbountybob.bin

• Like 2

Good news for those that really want to play Berzerk! I found a way to make the original ROM work. When you first start the game you have your back to the wall, just shoot backwards and then you will be able to shoot in all directions after that. This is only the first level this happens and you are not getting shot at so no harm no foul. I haven't played this extensively, but now you can change the list to working, but flawed. Glad this one has a workaround after all! :)

Changed it to flawed, however every screen has a "dead zone" on the left where you cannot fire. its about 1 player avatar wide a little in from the left of the screen and affects not being able to shoot anywhere in that area from the top of the playfield to the bottom. otherwise its playable.

• Like 2

Like Frogger, it's a newly programmed port specific to the AtGames hardware. It won't run on anything else.

I guessed as much. It seems to play just a little faster than the original.

Any idea as to why it was taken off of the final release version? Despite the fact that it's not a true 2600 port of the game, I do love Space Invaders and was looking forward to having a (close to) arcade version in portable form.

I guessed as much. It seems to play just a little faster than the original.

Any idea as to why it was taken off of the final release version? Despite the fact that it's not a true 2600 port of the game, I do love Space Invaders and was looking forward to having a (close to) arcade version in portable form.

No specific reason other than none of the Taito stuff made the final cut. It likely would have added to the behind-the-scenes cost to put the Taito IP on there. Fortunately, save for the newly programmed Space Invaders (which is not publicly available), most of the original Taito-related 2600 stuff plays great from the SD card.

Is there any way to get rid of the extraneous files on the list? Your original folder I downloaded doesn't show them on my computer, but it does show up on the menu. (The ones that begin with a dot.)

Let me guess -- you loaded it on a Mac? You can run dotclean on it. https://www.google.com/amp/lifehacker.com/377011/delete-mac-system-files-with-dotclean/amp?client=safari
  • Like 2