BBS TIMXT Heatwave

37 replies to this topic

#26 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Tue Apr 4, 2017 4:26 PM

74|193|9|234 port 9640 is what shows in my ddns app.

#27 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:56 AM

I have temporarily taken Heatwave BBS offline.

The system has crashed twice in the past few days. This morning it crashed multiple times on mundane things like a simple extended basic CALL CHAR statement and while opening a file. 

I suspect that one or more of the video ram chips or the V9938 needs to be replaced, since I have also noticed some spurious characters and sprites.  Regardless, there is a hardware problem that I need to resolve.  I'll look at it tonight, after work.

#28 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,580 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:09 PM

Tim, I recently tried to telnet into Heatwave, but from a PC (Linux), and the display is not really readable. Is it because there is some character redefinition for showing graphics (which the standard telnet won't do)?

#29 Mad Hatter OFFLINE  

Mad Hatter

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 PM

Damn that really sucks. I know the feeling!

#30 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:42 PM

Tim, I recently tried to telnet into Heatwave, but from a PC (Linux), and the display is not really readable. Is it because there is some character redefinition for showing graphics (which the standard telnet won't do)?

The login screen is displayed using ANSI sequences and extended ASCII graphics i.e., ibm character set. (https://en.wikipedia...i/Code_page_437)

If the telnet client doesn't support this natively, you will see the ansi control sequences as a bunch of letters, numbers, and brackets.   When the BBS is back online, perhaps you can share a screenshot of what you are seeing.

#31 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,580 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 PM

Ah OK, it's another codepage. This could prove to be a little challenge, since Linux terminals generally use Unicode; Google told me that there are indeed some people struggling to get cp437 back again (for similar purposes).

#32 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 PM

Ah OK, it's another codepage. This could prove to be a little challenge, since Linux terminals generally use Unicode; Google told me that there are indeed some people struggling to get cp437 back again (for similar purposes).

Here is what one search led me to find:   "this actually lead me to a solution using setfont with some downloaded cp437.psf and executing unicode_stop. thanks – Tim Theede Dec 5 '16 at 3:05"

Try connecting to Shift838's fusion bbs. He uses plain text at login.  I have considered going a similar route to "help" those without ANSI capability and may revisit this again.

#33 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,553 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 PM

Syncterm is the best for ascii http://syncterm.bbsdev.net

Either that or I use qmodem in Dosbox

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#34 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 PM

Heatwave is back online... for now.  I replaced the Geneve to give me some breathing room while I investigate the cause and work on a permanent fix.

#35 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,261 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 PM

Syncterm is the best for ascii http://syncterm.bbsdev.net

Either that or I use qmodem in Dosbox

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I find that telnetting using the Command prompt in Windows works very well. Just no XMODEM CRC capabilities.

#36 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,950 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 PM

I find that telnetting using the Command prompt in Windows works very well. Just no XMODEM CRC capabilities.

I second syncterm.  Works great with Xmodem CRC as well and ANSI support.

I connect via RAW mode and it works nicely.

#37 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 PM

I had a few moments to inspect the failing Geneve.  One leg on a video chip stack caught my attention.  I used a screwdriver to gently apply outward pressure to the leg, and discovered the solder joint had broken free, and was quite woefully soldered in the first place.  There is no tension holding the two together.  I don't know if resoldering this chip will cure the video (and lockup) woes, but it sure can't hurt!  

This Geneve has its original 16 memory sockets, which bothers me a bit knowing how ugly they can get over time. I think for now I'll leave them alone and order some parts on standby.  I don't relish removing all those sockets from this somewhat brittle board.

Edit: added picture.
Attached File  IMG_0512.JPG   1.19MB   1 downloads

Edited by InsaneMultitasker, Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 PM.

#38 RickyDean ONLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Mon May 1, 2017 6:15 AM

Been there, done that, as you have before. It is a pain on the Geneve.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BBS, TIMXT, Heatwave

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users