IGNORED

Karateka cassette (64k)?

Atari_Force

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Suppawer, we have a Karateka tape image (64k) available.

We put our heads together and the result is a pair of decent cassette images with the Karateka game. Standard 600 bd/FSK tape records, of course.

Credits go to:

J&D Service for the cracked cassette version

Suppawer for providing the tape image, translation of the loading screen, and thorough testing.

Me for a bit of hacking and polishing of the tape image.

karateka_tape_64k.rar

Edited by baktra
  • Like 4

Yes, I used to play a tape version, although you only could choose leggite

That was probably my version. I made a MULE tape version that loaded the whole game only once. To fit the whole game in 48K, I had to remove the title screen (yeah, an unforgivable crime, sorry about that). And I simplified the initial selection to the maximum, a text based screen to select only the number of players IIRC.

Should have a built-in turbo, software only, with custom blocks. Don't know if it fits a standard CAS image.

That was probably my version. I made a MULE tape version that loaded the whole game only once. To fit the whole game in 48K, I had to remove the title screen (yeah, an unforgivable crime, sorry about that). And I simplified the initial selection to the maximum, a text based screen to select only the number of players IIRC.

Should have a built-in turbo, software only, with custom blocks. Don't know if it fits a standard CAS image.

Yes, I believe the same, for the simple reason that was loaded by your Stac system.

Its not a turbo but it does seem to work from what little I tried..

Nope...seems duff after a proper test...Works but stops seems to need tape access for the next part but does nothing but fart...

Just to make sure I understand this correctly - Your test of the karateka tape images indicates that it fails to load one of the scenes?

By next part, do you mean a part that is supposed to be loaded after the first "PLACE THE TAPE IN THE NEXT STAGE..." message ?

Thanks

If someone would like to test Czechoslovak Turbo 2000 cassette version,

get an experimental one here : http://www.baktra.wz.cz/t2k/turbo2000.html. Don't get scared, the page is in Czech language. Just scroll down and locate karateka.cas.

This version has an embedded T2000 loader. If I happen to feel like hacking, I will try to update the loader to Omicron Turbo.

Edited by baktra

Just to make sure I understand this correctly - Your test of the karateka tape images indicates that it fails to load one of the scenes?

By next part, do you mean a part that is supposed to be loaded after the first "PLACE THE TAPE IN THE NEXT STAGE..." message ?

Thanks

will have another look and get back to you...

I did a quick real-hardware test with my PAL Atari 800XL and XC-12. The first game scene (bridge to the Akuma's palace) loads and plays just fine.

I would, however, suspect that if both disk drive and datarecorder are connected to the computer, the game will fail to load.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...