371 replies to this topic

#101 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2017 10:19 AM

It does start up on the portable.  However the player two functions do not work on any of the portable (i.e. smart bombs).

Game does start and as mentioned by Nukey and Atarifan88 the other function buttons don't yet work.

#102 DEBRO OFFLINE  

DEBRO

Stargunner

• 1,957 posts

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2017 9:15 PM

Here is an updated Pacman4K for the Flashback Portable.

The unit has an issue with me hitting HMOVE at cycle 74. I did this because I was planning to expand this at one time to do variable flicker. Since I never did this there was no need to avoid the HMOVE lines.

Enjoy...

Attached Files

#103 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,369 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2017 9:22 PM

The unit has an issue with me hitting HMOVE at cycle 74. I did this because I was planning to expand this at one time to do variable flicker. Since I never did this there was no need to avoid the HMOVE lines.

Enjoy...

Excellent conversion Debro! Thanks!

#104 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,890 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:25 AM

Game does start and as mentioned by Nukey and Atarifan88 the other function buttons don't yet work.

Correct...I need to track down 2 bits of ram memory to hold the previous state of the difficulty switches, to detect when either of them have changed from the previous frame.  But here's a temporary version that skips those and just uses the game select switch for smart bombs.  Should work on the portable.

Attached Files

#105 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:36 AM

Enjoy...

Looks a lot cleaner, thank you!  :D

Correct...I need to track down 2 bits of ram memory to hold the previous state of the difficulty switches, to detect when either of them have changed from the previous frame.  But here's a temporary version that skips those and just uses the game select switch for smart bombs.  Should work on the portable.

Kablam!!!   (Smart bomb works).  :P

#106 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,894 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:55 AM

Thank you for this!
Since "Game Select" and "Color" are momentary switches (on the FB Portable & the 7800) that makes them perfect to use as an extra button!

#107 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 969 posts
  • Enjoying 8 bit gaming in HD!

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 12:43 PM

Thanks Nukey!  As doctorclu reported earlier, the smart bomb works!  Nice idea using the game select button as it has an "S" on the portable, which now stands for "smart bomb."  :grin:

#108 JeffIrok OFFLINE  

JeffIrok

Space Invader

• 30 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:01 PM

Enjoy...

You guys are Saints....

THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by JeffIrok, Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:36 PM.

#109 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,890 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 AM

Looks like the MSB's of the print score vectors are always set to page F8...I used the upper bits there (top 3 bits of addresses are irrelevant to the console).  Works in Stella.  Was the original game's screen pushed down?  If not, the VBLANKs can be put back so it'll work on anything.

Attached Files

#110 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 AM

Looks like the MSB's of the print score vectors are always set to page F8...I used the upper bits there (top 3 bits of addresses are irrelevant to the console).  Works in Stella.  Was the original game's screen pushed down?  If not, the VBLANKs can be put back so it'll work on anything.

Honestly the original version doesn't look like it was suffering from the VBLANK problem.  The new version you posted looks and works great.

#111 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,915 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 AM

Just for sake of ease, could someone put links to the final versions of these hacs on the first post of this thread?

#112 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 969 posts
  • Enjoying 8 bit gaming in HD!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 AM

Honestly the original version doesn't look like it was suffering from the VBLANK problem.  The new version you posted looks and works great.

What is the difference between this and the previous version of Defender 2 with the smart bombs changed to the game select button?

#113 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,890 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 PM

The difficulty switches should work now for the other two functions (inviso and hyperspace).

#114 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 PM

Just for sake of ease, could someone put links to the final versions of these hacs on the first post of this thread?

Good idea.  Done! 

The difficulty switches should work now for the other two functions (inviso and hyperspace).

Tested out the other buttons and inviso and hyperspace do work.  Now that is cool.  Always liked the hyperspace option.

#115 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,915 posts
  • Meh

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 AM

Just tried out all the hacks..  THANK YOU EVERYONE!  Tapper, Stargate (Defender II,) and Star Raiders are key games in the 2600 library, and it's awesom that I can play them on the portable!

Edited by Inky, Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 AM.

#116 doug0909 OFFLINE  

doug0909

Chopper Commander

• 242 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 PM

For Circus Atari, Super Breakout, Demons to Diamonds, and other paddle games, would it work if there were hacks for joystick control, maybe just slowing down movement to 1/2, but speeding it up to max if you press a button.... 

#117 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,948 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Weren't most VCS games designed around speed and timing and accuracy? That means you need to put the paddle where it needs to go in an instant. That's while MIssile Command trackball & mouse hack adds real value to the game.

#118 doug0909 OFFLINE  

doug0909

Chopper Commander

• 242 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:52 PM

Yup, those games will never be as good as with analog controls.  The question is what's the best option for digital controls....  Another option might be speed increase while button is held, which stops when button is released (with reversion to slowest speed when joystick centers?)

#119 doug0909 OFFLINE  

doug0909

Chopper Commander

• 242 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 PM

Alternatively maybe keep full speed and button slows movement?  or three speeds, fastest with upper diagonals, slowest with lower diagonals, average speed with left-right.... 

#120 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 PM

Here is a video for those that haven't had a chance to try the latest hacks for the Atari Flashback Portable.

#121 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,890 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 AM

Raiders of the Lost Ark:  The left stick only uses 3 actions, so I used select and reset to move the marker and the color switch to drop.  To reset a new game when one is in progress, you can use the right difficulty for now (it'll freeze if you leave it there).  Gripes / suggestions?

Attached Files

#122 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,890 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:58 AM

Here is a video for those that haven't had a chance to try the latest hacks for the Atari Flashback Portable.

Yikes!  Does Tapper's screen jitter like that, or is this a bad video?

#123 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

• Topic Starter
  • 7,734 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:06 AM

Raiders of the Lost Ark:  The left stick only uses 3 actions, so I used select and reset to move the marker and the color switch to drop.  To reset a new game when one is in progress, you can use the right difficulty for now (it'll freeze if you leave it there).  Gripes / suggestions?

Looks like I got another video to make when I get off work.  :)

I'll also cover Tapper/BudTapper.  The one I played was a older copy of the game.

#124 Asaki OFFLINE  

Asaki

River Patroller

• 2,369 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:11 AM

For Circus Atari... would it work if there were hacks for joystick control...

There's a ROM floating around...: http://atariage.com/...with-joysticks/

#125 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 7,445 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 AM

Ive played the Tapper Portable rom a few times. Works great!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users