Photo

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

231 replies to this topic

#226 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,780 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 6:14 AM

I'm getting a bunch of units in for evaluation by early next week. I'll know then how the sound is on the SD hardware, which includes the handhelds (since they use the SD base).

Much appreciated, but I'm especially interested in how the HD version sounds.

Only the HD consoles will have save states and other enhanced features.

Will they have a cart slot? Save states means it uses emulation which means the system will have to dump the game which means no flash cart support and potential issues saving to internal cart SRAM... :P

And if the SD versions use the same SOAC as previous models, unless a brand new ASIC has been fabbed, will have similar audio issues... :P

But you will let us know. Must be hard walking the tightrope between honoring your NDA and revealing us the Full Monty... :P

#227 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,035 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 AM

Much appreciated, but I'm especially interested in how the HD version sounds.

Will they have a cart slot? Save states means it uses emulation which means the system will have to dump the game which means no flash cart support and potential issues saving to internal cart SRAM... :P

And if the SD versions use the same SOAC as previous models, unless a brand new ASIC has been fabbed, will have similar audio issues... :P

But you will let us know. Must be hard walking the tightrope between honoring your NDA and revealing us the Full Monty... :P

The HD version looks and sounds great (i.e., as it should). The only remaining tweaks are eliminating as much audio lag as possible (and the occasional performance drop in certain games), which is true of any HD system like this.

The Sega HD has a cart slot. The Atari HD does not. 

It's actually a pretty good setup in terms of cartridge support for the Sega HD (it's not quite like RetroN 5 or Retro Freak where the cartridge is dumped and not needed, but effectively the same basic concept). I'm not sure if there will be cartridge-based save support yet (there's only a handful of those games, anyway, and several of them are already built-in) or flash-cart support, but obviously I'll test that once everything is finalized. I'll certainly give it a try on the hardware I'm sent. Either way, there is at least onboard save slot support for cartridges, which is probably preferable for all but portability.

#228 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,429 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 PM

Only the HD consoles will have save states and other enhanced features.

I wasn't talking about save/load states.  I'm talking about if I go out and buy Phantasy Star IV (or in the case of the handheld) download the ROM and I got to the menu/inn and click 'SAVE' I come back and I'm not restarting the game all over again.  As it is now that's how they work on the cart based systems, or the downloads unless it's those few hacked in titles (Sword of Vermillions, P Star 2 and 3) that were rigged to save alone.

#229 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,035 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 PM

I wasn't talking about save/load states.  I'm talking about if I go out and buy Phantasy Star IV (or in the case of the handheld) download the ROM and I got to the menu/inn and click 'SAVE' I come back and I'm not restarting the game all over again.  As it is now that's how they work on the cart based systems, or the downloads unless it's those few hacked in titles (Sword of Vermillions, P Star 2 and 3) that were rigged to save alone.

I understand what you're asking. In the case of the SD and handheld, no, it won't have save states or special saving capabilities. If you stick a cartridge in the SD unit, it should work with a battery save like normal. On the HD system, it will have save states for built-in games as well as cartridges. Whether it will allow a battery save when you insert a cartridge, I consider that unlikely, but will check for sure when I get a unit.

#230 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,429 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 PM

Well that's one sticking point behind the audio and random failing games like Contra.

I'd only bother with the handheld as I'm trying to keep consoles to a minimum anymore.  So if the handheld can handle saving games as Sega intended them basically, I'll be happy.  I found it pretty bad when ATGames put out that one like 3 years ago with Capcom featured selling it with Mega Man on the cover, a game that needs a battery to save progress (let alone to have a chance to reach the Wily Tower) and it didn't so I never bought it.  Hopefully this years unit if I throw a game on a SD card, and the original cart intended to save your data, that the little handheld will make a save file and stuff it on the SD card for me.  I don't know if I'd call it a total deal breaker if it didn't, but if it was a combo of the still broken audio + no saving I'd not buy it just to be straight with you.

#231 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,035 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 PM

Well that's one sticking point behind the audio and random failing games like Contra.

I'd only bother with the handheld as I'm trying to keep consoles to a minimum anymore.  So if the handheld can handle saving games as Sega intended them basically, I'll be happy.  I found it pretty bad when ATGames put out that one like 3 years ago with Capcom featured selling it with Mega Man on the cover, a game that needs a battery to save progress (let alone to have a chance to reach the Wily Tower) and it didn't so I never bought it.  Hopefully this years unit if I throw a game on a SD card, and the original cart intended to save your data, that the little handheld will make a save file and stuff it on the SD card for me.  I don't know if I'd call it a total deal breaker if it didn't, but if it was a combo of the still broken audio + no saving I'd not buy it just to be straight with you.

I'm saying it 100% won't. It will just save the built in RPG games again.

#232 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Stargunner

• 1,429 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 PM

Well I think the best way to just for now interpret this is, just go in as I have each year with no hope for improvement, but open to being curious to learn about the device.  If I find that the audio has been repaired, and select few glaring annoyances (like Contra not working), and a game not on the existing list (like Phantasy Star 4 or Sonic 3) end up actually saving as they should in the handheld.  I'll be happy and buy it when it comes out.  If at the least the audio is repaired, Contra isn't a deal breaker, and the saving isn't done I'd 50/50 buy it or wait to find it on a special deal.  It's not like I don't have enough stuff around I can't find time for already as it is.

Wait and see is just the best route because you haven't even got the near final or finalized hardware as it is anyway to be certain.  You're pretty honest and up front about what your company is doing in these threads so it's always worth a read.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users