IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I agree. Trackball and spinner would be top of list for me as well. Unfortunately for that vision, it will most likely be traditional arcade controls to start (joystick, buttons).

When you say spinner, the first thing that comes to mind is this...

s-l300.jpg

Tron is a game that would be expensive to license, but needs to be on the home market for once!

• Like 1

Flojomojo: When you said Exidy, were you thinking about remakes of the arcade games or any possible games library for the Sorcerer? I'll admit I was thinking about the latter, but as I can't name a single game for it, that make me laugh out loud. If you were thinking of another part of the Exidy IP, it might not be quite as bizarre as it first would appear.

Venture, Star Fire, Pepper II, that kind of stuff, and the pinball games. A friend of the community has the rights so it would be feasible to re-release. I like the idea even if the reality would fall a bit flat as these games are old old old.

Not sure what you mean by The Sorcerer, what did I miss?

Yup, a S-100 inspired one with high text resolution but not much in terms of graphics. I researched it briefly but didn't find a single game title.

Honestly I think a remake of the Bally Astrocade etc would be closer in reach if e.g. AtGames wanted to manufacture something virtually unknown with a narrow market.

Yup, a S-100 inspired one with high text resolution but not much in terms of graphics. I researched it briefly but didn't find a single game title.

Honestly I think a remake of the Bally Astrocade etc would be closer in reach if e.g. AtGames wanted to manufacture something virtually unknown with a narrow market.

I have a handful of game titles on cassette for the Exidy Sorcerer. Its main calling card was the high resolution of the screen for the time, but it was obviously black and white with limited graphics. It's funny that that's the route an arcade game manufacturer went.

Yeah, AtGames definitely doesn't want to manufacture anything not well known because of the market they're in. I say this time and again, but the most logical releases would be something like the C-64 or even Apple II, but it's very difficult finding enough well-known games to license. The future of "new" stuff for now is probably arcade releases, along with the possibility of NES- or SNES-related projects.

• Like 3

Venture, Star Fire, Pepper II, that kind of stuff, and the pinball games. A friend of the community has the rights so it would be feasible to re-release. I like the idea even if the reality would fall a bit flat as these games are old old old.

I hope those find their way onto some kind of modern compilation and/or Flashback. Unlike games by Atari, Namco, Midway, and Taito, most of those Exidy arcade games haven't ever seen a legal re-release (excepting the early ones that were released for free use on MAME, for which we are all duly grateful!) Thankfully, most of the best ones did get excellent Colecovision ports, as did the Universal games (which also sadly haven't seen any re-releases.)

The future of "new" stuff for now is probably arcade releases

Super excited about the possibility of arcade Flashbacks, especially if they can combine games from multiple manufacturers for the first time. :grin: The 00's practice of 5-10 games from a single company on each plug-and-play led to me having a large box of those things that don't get much attention. A single device with lots of those games would be a whole other story!

• Like 2

I hope those find their way onto some kind of modern compilation and/or Flashback. Unlike games by Atari, Namco, Midway, and Taito, most of those Exidy arcade games haven't ever seen a legal re-release (excepting the early ones that were released for free use on MAME, for which we are all duly grateful!) Thankfully, most of the best ones did get excellent Colecovision ports, as did the Universal games (which also sadly haven't seen any re-releases.)

Top of my head, I don't recall an owner of the Exidy games. If someone knows of such an entity, let me know, and I'll definitely pass it onto AtGames.

• Like 2

Top of my head, I don't recall an owner of the Exidy games. If someone knows of such an entity, let me know, and I'll definitely pass it onto AtGames.

I think John Swiderski / Mean Hamster Software bought the rights a while back, but as far as I know he hasn't done anything with them.

http://www.meanhamster.com/no_flash/press.php

• Like 1

Good enough, thanks. I'll pass it on!

I hope they still have the rights. Sounds like they're out of business.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-283070.html

I thought Collectorvision bought up everything, but nope, it's like newColeco, they just have the name, not the games. :-(

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252416-collectorvision-games-aquired-exidy-namelogo/

• Like 1

I've been wondering. A few years back ATGames picked up/rebranded the Arcade Gamer Portable unit Sega Master System & Game Gear Arcade Gamer Portable 30-in-1 (AT Games - 2013) (Model No GP1024) and it has a nice array of just GG and SMS games on there, a closed off handheld.

Will there ever be another of these again with or without SD card support or perhaps with the new (guessing ARM/emulated) setup of the Genesis HD that it could be incorporated into a follow up console or upcoming hd handheld?

It's the one atgames device I've held onto as the emulation quality on it is very solid and it has some nice games but it would be awesome if I could throw some gems on there I owned once that were fun (and most would agree -- Golden Axe Warrior, Wonderboy 3, Master of Darkness, Streets of Rage 1+2, etc.)

I've been wondering. A few years back ATGames picked up/rebranded the Arcade Gamer Portable unit Sega Master System & Game Gear Arcade Gamer Portable 30-in-1 (AT Games - 2013) (Model No GP1024) and it has a nice array of just GG and SMS games on there, a closed off handheld.

Will there ever be another of these again with or without SD card support or perhaps with the new (guessing ARM/emulated) setup of the Genesis HD that it could be incorporated into a follow up console or upcoming hd handheld?

It's the one atgames device I've held onto as the emulation quality on it is very solid and it has some nice games but it would be awesome if I could throw some gems on there I owned once that were fun (and most would agree -- Golden Axe Warrior, Wonderboy 3, Master of Darkness, Streets of Rage 1+2, etc.)

There are unlikely to be stand-alone Game Gear/SMS units. For now, their games are only incorporated into the Sega Genesis Flashback. It remains to be seen if games from either of those platforms will make it onto any of the other Sega Genesis systems.

I had a feeling. Hopefully one day the handheld update you once spoke of maybe for 2018 that's HD will have a SD slot on it and capable of firing up SMS/GG games. I'd so pick that up as it would be fantastic. I really don't mind closed systems either though as it helps you be a bit more focused on what to do as you can't just throw everything at it, but they do end up excluding things licenses fail to attain.

I just wanted to ask if the release dates for the sega hd & atari flashback Activision edition is still set for November 10th. When are preorders going to open for the Activision edition HD?

Reviews start to hit tomorrow, November 10 (or thereabouts) for the two HD consoles (the Atari book hits towards the end of November), and we're still waiting for final word on the Activision HD schedule.

• Like 2