IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

Will the Activision and the Gold be side by side at retail, or will it be some weird exclusive or hard to find thing like the Flashbacks that had Antarctic Adventure?

It should be side-by-side. Even if it's not as widely available as the main Atari HD unit for whatever reason (retailer preference, for instance), it will still be easy to get.

• Like 6

Thanks for the reviews, looking forward to these things.

I'm trying to understand why anyone would want the plain Gold version of the Atari box when the Activision exists. Your thoughts?

Thanks. I pretty much agree. I can't think of a reason either other than liking the game mix - even with 10 fewer games - on the non-Activision version better.

• Like 3

Any news on a possible USB dongle for those pads?

Not this year I'm afraid. There was just too much going on. Next year, maybe the functionality will be built-in, maybe it won't. We'll see how things develop and I'll try and remember to bring it up again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my new 2017 Flashback Portable and I am having issues with the a/v out, it only displays in Black and white, why???

As for thr integrated display it works just fine and is an awesome unit, but when I plug it into the TV it comes out black and white. Please tell me how to fix it. Thanks.

I just got my new 2017 Flashback Portable and I am having issues with the a/v out, it only displays in Black and white, why???

As for thr integrated display it works just fine and is an awesome unit, but when I plug it into the TV it comes out black and white. Please tell me how to fix it. Thanks.

I can think of a few possibilities, though others on here likely know far more about the technical aspects of the Portable:

1) Your unit has a defective A/V out (I have never had this problem and plug it into my TV often, via a multi-AV switch no less)

2) The cord isn't right. Every once in awhile someone has complained of issues getting their Portable to display on a TV, and sometimes trying a different cord has worked for them. Bad luck if it's this- I have several different types of that cord, and they all work perfectly on mine, including a cheap GE cord from Target.

Other than that I have no idea. You may need to return it if the cord isn't the problem.

• Like 1

I can think of a few possibilities, though others on here likely know far more about the technical aspects of the Portable:

1) Your unit has a defective A/V out (I have never had this problem and plug it into my TV often, via a multi-AV switch no less)

2) The cord isn't right. Every once in awhile someone has complained of issues getting their Portable to display on a TV, and sometimes trying a different cord has worked for them. Bad luck if it's this- I have several different types of that cord, and they all work perfectly on mine, including a cheap GE cord from Target.

Other than that I have no idea. You may need to return it if the cord isn't the problem.

Thanks! I DID try multiple cords on multiple TVs (all Insignia) and the same result, black & white display on the TV, however it works perfectly on the integrated on-board display. But, the glass is only half-full and I'd rather have a full tank, and since the AV is having issues, I'll just drive the 40 miles back to the store and get it replaced, thank goodness I kept the receipt and never peeled off the protective clear screen protector so it will make it easier to get a new one, I'll let everyone know how it goes. and post here.

• Like 3

Thanks! I DID try multiple cords on multiple TVs (all Insignia) and the same result, black & white display on the TV, however it works perfectly on the integrated on-board display. But, the glass is only half-full and I'd rather have a full tank, and since the AV is having issues, I'll just drive the 40 miles back to the store and get it replaced, thank goodness I kept the receipt and never peeled off the protective clear screen protector so it will make it easier to get a new one, I'll let everyone know how it goes. and post here.

Well, I just got home from Toys R Us (where I both bought the original and also this one) and it is under the charger right now, after the LED turns green (indicating a full charge) I'll fire it up and insert the SD card I have already for it, and then we'll see if this one displays in color or not. BTW, about the cord being wrong, I went to (and liked) the AtGames Facebook page and found out that many have had success with a simple 3.5 mm stereo audio miniplug to 2 RCA Y-adapter, such as one you used to plug your Walkman of other portable player onto your stereo system back in the day (I still do, as portables are just as efficient as many home units of the same format) with your MiniDisc, CD, Cassette player, etc. This will (pretty much) be my be-all-end-all unit for at home, succeeding my just bought 2600 Jr, as the 2600 unit of choice.

....... unless someone here can prove me wrong, I'm all ears guys!!! :)

Hell, if I had known that this beauty has (almost) the same capabilities as my 2600 Jr, I pretty much wouldn't have gotten my home unit and also the Harmony Encore SD cart that I bought to go with my 5200 that I have had since 1983 (Birthday present May 19th, 1983, 17th birthday, serial number 141101, made in USA 4-port model), and now have an a/v-modded version of along with many carts picked up over the years, plus the AtariMax SD cart.

I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few hours after the FBP gets through charging and I test it on my TV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive, as I'm too dang tired to go back and read all this, but did they improve the wireless controllers on the Ataris? I think I have a 5 or 6 and it's kind of frustrating.

And paddles for Breakout, yay!

Yes, the wireless controllers for the 8 Gold versions use Bluetooth technology and are a vast improvement; the normal Flashback 8 has only wired controllers- can't go wrong there either.

• Like 1

They're 2.4MHz not bluetooth. If they were the latter, we could all use them on other devices.

But the important thing as I see it is that they're no longer infrared. You don't need to point them at the sensor for them to work.

Sams specials. Av cord with portables. Wired paddles with 8, weird 5 in 1 cart with sega? 40 bucks.

Do you know what's on the cartridge?

• Like 4

I picked up my SGHD Flashback Yesterday. I'm pretty satisfied with it. Sound & game play seem to be fairly accurate (minus FM on SMS). Overall, a major improvement over any other officially licensed Sega plug N play consoles from years past (Radica/ATgames).

However, I am having trouble trying to get it to recognize my Sonic3 cart? Is this one of the few incompatible games?

If some of you are still on the fence about buying one, other than (potentially) missing out on a key Sonic game, I only have a few minor quibbles about the system:

1. "Bright as lightning" blue LED on controller shining in my eye during every button press (diffused LED & resistor adding time).

2. Lack of screen saver or dimming on Menu screen (bad for Plasma or OLED TV's).

3. The only built in game I discovered any major glitches in so far is 'Astro Warrior' for SMS. I know compatibility for SMS is added & not a priority. It's great SMS is even included, but this game is broken right after the title screen, the destroyable parts of the background glitch when you shoot them & cause a hit/collision detection problem making it impossible to shoot through them & hit other enemies. I would've preferred they just left this game out in place of some other game.

4. I don't know if I consider this a "problem", but I did notice the Mortal Kombat games are not included in the main "SEGA Games" list, but the "Sonic Games" are, even though they also have their own special folder.

5. the wonky control scheme for selecting games on the main menu, (but I've already adjusted to it, no biggie).

6. Some kind of background music on the menu might me a nice feature for future releases (again not a major issue).

That's about it as far as the cons, On the pro's side A few unexpected surprises I noticed are:

1. My Sonic 2 hacks (Sonic Pink Edition), and a few bootleg Ali-Express carts seem to work just fine :-)

2. Most of the "bonus games" are "ports"/"rip-offs" of popular games like Columns & Frogger, seems like they ditched the really bad ones. Something to delve into when you're bored. I discovered a hidden gem in the game "Hexagano" which is almost a direct "pseudo-port" of an old MS-DOS shareware game called "Hexxagon" which had a sequel (Hexxagon 2). I used to play this game on my high school computers during PASCAL programming class [any other fans out there]?

3. The sound fidelity really is good (but not 100%). Some games are missing digitally recorded sound effects, but most have them (Like Greatest Heavyweights/Vectorman/Madden). A good test for sound compatibility for me has been the sound test on Gold Axe. There's a few sound effects that when played on a model 1 "HDG" Genesis have a FM "ring" to them that if you play a bunch of the same sound effect rapid fire, you can obtain a reverb/echo like sound. The SGHD Flashback doesn't replicate this technique (which I think is what somewhat of a glitch to begin with), but some of the more difficult sound effects do sound faithful to the original. Very impressed. The sound is even in proper stereo (grabbing rings in Sonic).

Overall, a good buy for me. I'm waiting for the Activision Edition Atari HD FB, but if the quality of the Genesis HD is any indication on how the Atari and any future releases will be, I'm very excited. I think for a first run with new hardware for what is surely to be a continuing series of these new Flashback consoles, they are off to a good start.