Photo

2017 Flashback Speculation Thread

113 replies to this topic

#101 Atari PAC-MAN Fan OFFLINE  

Atari PAC-MAN Fan

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:35 PM

I love my Atari flashback portable, but if they want more of money, they should make a Colecovision flashback portable and an Intellivision Flashback Portable. But, for know, we can only dream. :sleep:

#102 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 7,454 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:41 PM

Coleco_Main.jpg

#103 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 617 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 PM

I love my Atari flashback portable, but if they want more of money, they should make a Colecovision flashback portable and an Intellivision Flashback Portable. But, for know, we can only dream. :sleep:

Those are impractical as inexpensive handhelds. You'd need to do something like Flojomojo indicated, which, as we know, was not cheap to do.

#104 Asaki OFFLINE  

Asaki

Stargunner

• 1,954 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 PM

Nintendo DS has an official Intellevision collection, and if you can run homebrew, FluBBa's S8DS emulator can run Colecovision pretty well (also runs Sega SG-1000, Master System, and Game Gear).

#105 Atari PAC-MAN Fan OFFLINE  

Atari PAC-MAN Fan

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 PM

Coleco_Main.jpg

Did you make that?!  :-o

#106 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 7,454 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 PM

Oh heavens no. It's a Benjamin Heckendorn thing.

There are decent Colecovision/MSX emulators for Android that run okay. Most CV games don't need the keypads for game action, just starting stuff, so they can be remapped to action buttons or finagled with virtual buttons.

#107 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,188 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 PM

This does not have to be the case. Inclusion in an official product like a Flashback would arguably give the developer a free pass. However, some homebrew devs have chosen not to work with AtGames - even with non-infringing, original creations - because they're afraid of being "noticed" for their other, infringing creations. Frankly, I consider that a bit of a simplistic viewpoint, because at least of the companies I've had limited dealings with through my AtGames and other relationships, most are either well aware of what's going on or have people who are well aware of what's going and choose to do nothing about it (and in some cases, love it). Of course, if homebrew stuff that infringed wasn't kept low key like it is (selling a few hundred copies at best), I'm sure more would suddenly start to care. It's one thing doing what is essentially fan service and it's another starting to profit in a big way from someone else's property.

I think a lot of homebrews games really do pay a nice homage to the IP they are based on. Only Nintendo seems to be attacking homebrew efforts (R.I.P. Princess Rescue) while ignoring the guys making illegal bootlegs and repros in their garages (at least until AliExpress completely undercut the garage repro business by selling bargain basement fakes), kind of like the counterproductive way Disney has sued tattoo artists and day care centers that comission murals of their characters, literally pissing all over their own fanbase.

Seems Nintendo at least has given up trying to shut down "adult" fanart (they filed hundreds of takedown notices on places like deviantart circa 2005 or so) but still actively shut down any fanmade game related projects that fall through the woodwork. Like whenever we hear of Mario or Zelda games getting ported to unity or unreal engine, and the project is shut down no later than three days after it's announced to the world. Sometimes I wonder why these dev teams even waste their time trying to port Mario 64 or OOT to modern PC hardware. It's not like Nintendo of Japan is going to somehow offer you a job because you knocked off their IP. They don't work that way...

#108 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• Topic Starter
  • 7,454 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 PM

Who is the target market for AtGames Flashback consoles? Anyone with fifty bucks? Or is there more to it?

#109 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 617 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 PM

Who is the target market for AtGames Flashback consoles? Anyone with fifty bucks? Or is there more to it?

Primarily the average (read: not necessarily a gamer, although steps have been taken to address that market too) consumer who recognizes games or properties and wants to relive nostalgic experiences for themselves or loved ones. Certainly price point plays a role as well, as it trends towards impulse buys. They really are considered 'toys" rather than something to compete with mainstream consoles or handhelds.

So yeah, that's why featuring key game properties is so important, as is trying to replicate original controls when possible, and also of course why price point has classically been so important and the challenges that come as a result of that. Of course, as stated multiple times, some of those ideas/assumptions are going to be challenged this year thanks to the NES Mini helping to open up more market opportunities with retailers, particularly when it comes to charging more money (to naturally go along with a much desired bump in specs/features). As such, it will be interesting to see if more of the core gaming market might become interested/supportive than was previously possible for products like this not named NES Mini.

#110 Downland1983 OFFLINE  

Downland1983

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 PM

Anecdote: when I brought home a 7800 in ~1989, one of my roommates in my group house was impressed that I had found a "5200." Another was critical of Pitfall as being the same little task, over and over again. A third offered to lend me his seldom-played ColecoVision. 

I would only assume the old systems were completely forgotten to all but the most faithful Atarians by now. I'm probably among their number and even I don't really care. 

My younger brother and I got a 7800 for Christmas in 1988.  I remember being somewhat disappointed playing it and Pole Position II after having seen and played games like the Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros on other people's NES'.  We were ecstatic to get an NES for Christmas the following year.  Poor timing.  We probably would have appreciated it more in 1984 when it was originally supposed to launch.

#111 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 617 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 PM

My younger brother and I got a 7800 for Christmas in 1988.  I remember being somewhat disappointed playing it and Pole Position II after having seen and played games like the Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros on other people's NES'.  We were ecstatic to get an NES for Christmas the following year.  Poor timing.  We probably would have appreciated it more in 1984 when it was originally supposed to launch.

This may or may not be loosely related, but I find as more time separates some of the older videogames and computer games with the here and now, more games get added to the "no longer interested" or "no longer playable because I'm spoiled by modern amenities" pile. Of course, there are still tons of classic games just as playable (and enjoyable) today as they were back in the day, but I think it's harder to tolerate some of the more borderline or quirky titles than it would have, say, even 10 years ago. And certainly some classics inevitably get added to that pile.

#112 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

Stargunner

• 1,861 posts
  • I heart videogames!

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 PM

Well one way this could beat a Nes mini is actually appear on shelves :)

#113 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,188 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:47 AM

This may or may not be loosely related, but I find as more time separates some of the older videogames and computer games with the here and now, more games get added to the "no longer interested" or "no longer playable because I'm spoiled by modern amenities" pile. Of course, there are still tons of classic games just as playable (and enjoyable) today as they were back in the day, but I think it's harder to tolerate some of the more borderline or quirky titles than it would have, say, even 10 years ago. And certainly some classics inevitably get added to that pile.

Games were simpler then. I remember firing up Bomberman R and the storyline and cutscenes were so banal I just wanted the characters to stfu so I could get into the game. The actual gameplat isn't bad, but I still was longing for a more top-down angle. Somehow the new flare doesn't do justice to the classic 16-bit ports. I did test out online mode early friday morning (March 3rd at launch) by playing one round and quickly whupped their butt 0-3, but two my opponents losses were self destructs. Seems my classic training paid off though, there were aspects of the game mechanics (such as throwing bombs over walls) that I didn't understand. Still much better than that 3D wtf-is-this N64 port I just dloaded the other day on Wii-U VC. :P

And I just D/L'd the Japanese Tetris+Puyo demo by setting up a bogus account and changed console regions so I could log into the eShop. And Puyo Puyo swapping between Tetris seemed so ADD to me it's unreal (I have severe adult ADHD btw). Once again, like Bomberman everything that made the originals great has been exaggerated. I still love it though, will definitely pick up the US version. I only hope they don't try to "westernize" the characters too much. Splatoon has shown that a very Japan stylized IP can be very well received. I may pick up Splat later this year since I totally skipped the Wii-U version.

Moving forward, there's a big divide between the NES / 16-bit era and precrash (I'm lumping 7800 as pre-crash since it was slated for release in 1984 with mostly arcade ports). I know that's a misnomer since Famicom technically came out in 1983. Most of the best 7800 games were arcade ports and many of the others were generic filler even if they had impressive graphics. Atari was very much stuck in the past trying to deliver arcade like experiences to the home as NES were pushing great new games with bright colors and popping visuals. So it's understandable that there is a disconnect that remains to this day in the public's eye when it comes to Atari vs Nintendo / Sega, precrash vs NES and 16-bits. It's a tough sell to casual consumers, and only the cheapness really sells units. They won't sell more units while improving quality if it means cost increase, though if they can somehow improve emulation quality, both the cheap sku and the premium sku would benefit, assuming they run on similar technology. But if the premium model is just HDMI + $20 retail, without fixing the crapulation, then what's the point?

#114 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

River Patroller

• 3,815 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:08 AM

From my horizon, while it seems the NES Mini was nearly equally priced all over the world (as long as you could buy it at all), the few AtGames products I've seen resellers offering over here are priced 2-3 times what they're selling for in the US. I suppose that is due to retailer networks vs direct import, but internationally market shares will depend a lot on what units can be sold for, in particular after the talk about premium units which I fear would nearly be in the price range of a Xbox One or PlayStation 4 over here. No matter how much you love the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis or even Mattel Intellivision, it still is a direct to TV game which should not cost almost as much as a current gen play-anything console.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users