It's long past time for a new release of Stella. This release contains a few features that have been done for quite some time, but I didn't release (for reasons explained below). Anyway, changes as follows:
* Added preliminary support for the 3E+ bankswitching scheme, developed by Thomas Jentzsch.
* Fixed HMOVE positioning bug that occurred under certain circumstances. Thanks to Omegamatrix of AtariAge for the bug report and patch to fix the issue.
* Added 'trapm', 'trapreadm', 'trapwritem' commands to debugger prompt. These are similar to the non-'m' versions, except that they also trap on all mirrors of the given address.
* Fixed bug in debugger 'reset' command; it wasn't resetting the bankswitching, so after a reset the banks were in an undefined state.
* Updated UNIX configure script to fix a bug where it fails in cross-compilation under certain circumstances. Thanks to Vlad Zakharov for providing a patch to fix this issue.
Anyhow, with that out of the way, some other news. As some of you may have known and/or read in other posts, I haven't been feeling well for the past few months. Work was hectic, and there are also some real-life issues. So I haven't done a new release of Stella since March; that's the longest stretch without a new release since I started on the project in 2001. On the bright side, things are starting to improve. I'm feeling better, and in 3 weeks I will be off for a 3 week Christmas break, which is badly needed.
Also, something unexpected happened over the past month or so; Christian Speckner has offered to port his 6502ts TIA core to Stella! I'm happy to say that this is now proceeding fairly quickly in a forked project on Github (https://github.com/DirtyHairy/stella). When it's all done, it will be imported into the main Stella codebase. Finally, we have hope for a more modern TIA core
You may also remember that I was working on a new TIA sound core, based on work from Chris Brenner. I did eventually mostly finish that code, but integrating it into Stella with the old TIA code proved too difficult. The good news is, this code looks like a perfect fit for the new TIA core
Finally, I've been planning on a large improvement to event remapping, where joystick buttons and axes are no longer tied to one specific virtual device. Currently, if you map joy button 0 to virtual left joystick, you can no longer use that button for anything else. So even if you aren't currently using the left virtual joystick, button 0 is still not available. This will change to being able to map buttons to each virtual device (so joy button 0 may be 'Fire' when in joystick mode, one of the keypad buttons while in keyboard mode, etc).
Anyway, the above is (I'm hoping) what will eventually become Stella 5.0. No hints or guesses on when this will happen, but rest assured that it's well in hand.
Thanks for the support emails I've received over the past few months,