IGNORED

FlappyBird test

tonma

I couldn't help but notice the sheet music, trebel clef but no bass clef? Also I'm no sheet music expert, but the piano part looks like single note melody to me, excluding the guitar chords... :P

If you listen to the Lynx music you will note that there is just a single melody. In the first part you have a single melody with a flute like instrument followed by clap-like instrument sounds. In the 2nd part you have a string like instrument with a lot of tremolo. Again playing a single note.

So there simply is no background band. All the vacant 3 sound channel musicians in the Lynx are still on their Christmas vacations.

I could have hired 3 of them (flute, clapping, strings). But the budget was tight. We could only afford one musician in Flappy. All the money went to create the large office buildings in the background (in white marble actually - very expensive). With a bigger budget the sounds could intermix forming a harmony.

In the single musician version the previous sound is abruptly cut off when the next sound starts playing. This is easy to hear when clapping starts.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

:-D

I love this red cartridge. You're my Santa Claus. Music + cartridge.

I have a nearly finish version. Collision, score, music. Maybe need to change the difficulty after some time. i'll doing this tomorrow.

For saving the highscore, I add the function for the eeprom and everything seems fine. In the emulator, the writting / reading function works. But of course, the emulator doesn't seem to save it when I reload the game (I try with the Sage version of handy 0.971).But you tell me, I need magic byte in header.

For testing, I use something like and mynameH = 4000 after the operation :

mynameH = 6000;
myname = 4000;

lynx_eewrite_93c46(0, myname);
mynameH = lynx_eeread_93c46(0);

With the last version, it'll be more easy.

But I prefer, the Vertical version 'cause of the original game.

Yes, We'll can have a cartridge . The more smaller and annoying game for the lynx.

I need to add "not for resale" on the front page. :grin:

Nice that you like the cart. You don't need any magic byte in the header. I just thought that you want some kind of sanity check so that the code also works with the SD card or burned to a flash cart that lacks the eeprom.

About the cart release... I can make any number of carts. But for this price it will be carts only. No nice labels, manuals or boxes. So think about these carts as a prototype. A test release to see that the technology works.

• Like 2

I approve of this game. Crazy addictive. 37 pipes cleared! :grin: :thumbsup:

post-33189-0-79290400-1483215837_thumb.jpg

One minor quibble, sometimes pressing flap immediately after flapping doesn't register, making it impossible to climb to a high place in time to clear the pipe. Also the game (when played on SaintT Lynx SD multicart) does not retain high score on the title screen, ie "high score" as displayed is always equal to the score attained in the previous round. You said the cart version will save high scores?

About the cart release... I can make any number of carts. But for this price it will be carts only. No nice labels, manuals or boxes. So think about these carts as a prototype. A test release to see that the technology works.

I am totally down for a cart release with glossy label. No need to waste $$$ on a cardboard box and manual.

• Like 1

Just downloaded and ran the latest version guys and I just couldn't stop laughing !!!!! Totally fits the game :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: Glad you like the idea :D

It's getting better and better :)

The song seems to be a bit low volume though ?

My son (14 !!!) started to dance and my wife told me to turn it down after three runs so yes it is perfect irritating LOL...

On one hand I'd like to hear the full song in 4 channels BUT I think there should be game sounds there as well.. we really need the flapping sound, the coin sound when each pipe is successfully passed and especially the DEATH "whip" sound as it is the most devastating and irritating and final "GAME OVER" sound ever to land in a video game :D

Guys, I still have Flappy Bird on my iOS devices so if you need any reference..... :)

Yes Flappy need to be able to climb faster by repetitive taps on the button or else he won't make the high tubes....but I guess you already knew ;)

....and even though I love the music behind it now, I agree that an option to turn it off would be great :)

• Like 1

For packing the cartridge, no manual (seriously....a manual for FlappyBird ? :) ), no box just a small net for bird's nuts like this :

1304685482.jpg

Up to you wether to leave the nuts in or not :D:D:D:D

Oh I can see it now, a canary yellow cartridge in a red net like that......AWESOME !!!

Edited by Level42

Nice quadruple post. Yeah it's certainly within the Lynx capabilities. Coin, flap, and Game Over sound effects could each get their own sound channel in addition to the music. I dunno why you think it's not loud enough, plenty loud through my Lynx speaker.

Gameplay video demonstration uploading; video should be live in an hour or so. Recorded with camera mounted sideways for your viewing pleasure... :grin:

We're gonna go see the new Star Wars after the LSU game. Later... ;-)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. And also for the video. You make me the happiest of this new year

Happy new year. :-D

very beautiful "flapvert5b.zip" version works fine! :grin:
it would be possible:
1) Option 1 + 2 option to put on and take off the music
2) Pause + option 2 for horizontal and vertical
The red cartridge is very beautiful! :D

Sorry, but doing vertical / horizontal would take me too long. This is only a test.

Nice that you like the cart. You don't need any magic byte in the header. I just thought that you want some kind of sanity check so that the code also works with the SD card or burned to a flash cart that lacks the eeprom.

A cart release is incredible. no need of box / manual. I'll look this for a another real game.

I approve of this game. Crazy addictive. 37 pipes cleared! :grin: :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifFlappy Bird Lynx.jpg

One minor quibble, sometimes pressing flap immediately after flapping doesn't register, making it impossible to climb to a high place in time to clear the pipe. Also the game (when played on SaintT Lynx SD multicart) does not retain high score on the title screen, ie "high score" as displayed is always equal to the score attained in the previous round. You said the cart version will save high scores?

I am totally down for a cart release with glossy label. No need to waste $$$ on a cardboard box and manual.

Yep I know this. I'm sorry for the highscore bug, I was wrong in my test.

For the flap, I choose to allow new beats when you fall. I will change it and allow when you stop climbing.

I'll make the correction tomorrow. :-D And add difficulty. Tomorrow will see the best version and the most irritating.

P.S. Oh yes, I'll look to increase the volume.

Edited by tonma
  • Like 2

I put an order for yellow ABS. It should arrive in a week.

Changing the volume also affects the envelope of the sound and the clipping. So it is not so trivial to get the sounds right. I will listen to this on a real Lynx to see if it needs amplification.

I put an order for yellow ABS. It should arrive in a week.

Changing the volume also affects the envelope of the sound and the clipping. So it is not so trivial to get the sounds right. I will listen to this on a real Lynx to see if it needs amplification.

It was plenty loud on my Lynx. My mom was watching TV (at normal listening levels) and I cranked it up and the smallish Lynx speaker actually drown out the TV with it's chicken dance rendition. I could tell she was agitated so I turned it back down. :P

Hi guys,

I will see if I could create the flap, coin and whip sounds today for the 4th channel.

I have to see if adding chords to channel 3 and perhaps move claps and percussion to channel 2 would produce a good result.

If you want the intro I could give that a go as well. A dual channel intro sliding from tritonus to quint might do the trick.

No promises.

• Like 1

I finished the update. Increases difficulty after 30 columns, flap sooner and hisgscore bug.

After some hours working and trying to load all sound effect. I finally have something that works.

While the music playing on channel 0, I can play sound with : "lynx_snd_play(1, sfxWptr.sfxW0);"

I hope the sound effect never loop.

Sorry for your chickendance2, karri, but I need a channel for sound.

• Like 2