IGNORED

Super Pro Boxing and SP Hockey 2

intvdave

I believe Boxing is the only sports title that does not have a 1 player option. Is there any interest in this?

I have heard from a few people that Super Pro Hockey needs to be updated. I was never a fan of the Intellivision Hockey because of how it played. Is there much interest in a tuned version of Super Pro Hockey?

• Like 8

Wow. I'd never even thought of Boxing but yes, that's definitely one I'd like to play. As for Hockey, absolutely! Sea Battle would also be well received I expect.

Just got my Baseball and Mystic boards, hoping to give them both a try today. Thanks again Dave!

• Like 1

I am not interested in creating snow levels or laser shooting sharks. There did not seem to be enough interest beyond these type of creative updates. I put SP Utopia on hold.

I blame Cmart for his idiotic laser sharks.......but snow levels on the other hand...... :-D :-D hahaa

Super Pro Boxing would be a nice addition. I actually like boxing games. Im not a huge Hockey fan...which is ironic since how much I love snow levels.

• Like 1

I blame Cmart for his idiotic laser sharks.......but snow levels on the other hand...... :-D :-D hahaa

Super Pro Boxing would be a nice addition. I actually like boxing games. Im not a huge Hockey fan...which is ironic since how much I love snow levels.

Lol. Just to be clear, the Sharks comment was an Austin Powers joke and was not an actual gameplay request. :)

Super Pro Utopia would be near the top of my list with obviously a one player option, random islands, additional weather events, ships, structures, etc. This is a game I really miss playing that I played a bunch as a kid. I really should introduce my son to this one and see if he catches on. ?

• Like 3

Lol. Just to be clear, the Sharks comment was an Austin Powers joke and was not an actual gameplay request. :)

Super Pro Utopia would be near the top of my list with obviously a one player option, random islands, additional weather events, ships, structures, etc. This is a game I really miss playing that I played a bunch as a kid. I really should introduce my son to this one and see if he catches on.

See, now there is some constructive ideas. :P

I have made good progress on Hockey. I may finish this one before Boxing.

I do not see how a 1 player Utopia would work. From the little I know about the game, you control your island and your opponent controls the other island. Beside the rebels feature, how do you interact with the second player? Going after the same fish with fishing boats?

I was thinking the one player mode would control both islands. The object would be to get as many points as possible which is what I think you do already without really interacting with the second player.

I am not looking at the other Utopia thread as, to me, it got stupid but then..this is AtariAge. I expect this tread to go the same way.

I do not know Utopia as I never played it. I will work on Utopia if you really help me understand what needs to be updated especially how 1 player mode should work. I will quit looking at this thread once it gets stupid. I will post future updates on my site once this happens.

Isnt Utopia already 1 player? My box says 1 player. I havent played Utopia for even 5 minutes.

What can really be done with Utopia? Isnt it already a really good game?

Boxing and Hockey seem to me to be higher on the list. Everyone (but me) loves the Intv sports games!

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/intellivision-review-utopia.34756911/

Here is a nice review of Utopia from 2003. Interesting read.

from review:

The game is designed so that either one or two players are possible. The solitary experience has one player trying to get a high score by building up the best possible island. The island not being used by the player is generally ignored and becomes a festering pool of unhappy islands that are not the happiest with their role as spectators. The two-player game has each player control and island and try to outscore the other by having the best place to live and the highest score. This is where the game truly does shine. There is more strategy and greater joy when you have an opponent to compete against. It is a good feeling to see your opponent get pummeled by a hurricane!

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

I'm sure Nurmix has a lot of great ideas for a buff of Hockey. One really obvious thing is to make sure the rounded corners in the rink come back. I guess it depends on the template you're building from -- Slap Shot or NHL.

1P boxing would likely be a more involved undertaking, but also welcome. By the time we got it, my younger brothers wouldn't play against me much. Guess I was too ruthless. :P From the faint memories I do have, it seemed really rare to get a knockout punch, and the keypad based input seemed to make things more complicated -- though more likely due to that input mode, it had to be a lot slower. I LOVED Activision's Boxing on Atari, even as a HUGE Intellivision snob, because it was fast, simple, and fun. So IMO a "Super Pro" could possibly have a "simple" mode that was more action/speed oriented.

If I had to pick, I'd say Boxing because there is no such thing as a 1P boxing, and am intrigued by whether a complete rewrite vs. an upgrade would work. From a "purity" standpoint, I think there's a wide consensus that Slap Shot was kind of a letdown in that most of the other INTV Super Pro sports titles were actually really, really good, and Slap Shot was ... meh at least it's 1-player.

I remember after renting Intellivision Boxing from the video store for a few days, we decided that it's one game we won't buy. Maybe we didn't give it a fair chance. I like how the keypad is used but I'm thinking a completely original fighting game might be a better way to go.

I like NHL Hockey. It has a lot of good things about it, but the sluggish skating is a little frustrating. Slap Shot has more bugs than just scoring from behind the net, and makes that game unplayable (I also find World Cup Soccer, Slam Dunk, and Championship Tennis unplayable).

In Utopia you can buy rebels and send them to your opponent as well as buy a PT boat and sink your opponents fishing boats. An AI player in Utopia shouldn't be too hard to do. For high scores just buy factories. For a one player only mode, you'd have to adjust the scoring algorithm to make it more challenging.

I would think coming up with an AI player in Sea Battle would be like designing a chess algorithm. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it happen.

I am not interested in creating snow levels or laser shooting sharks. There did not seem to be enough interest beyond these type of creative updates. I put SP Utopia on hold.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.