IGNORED

Supaboy S

Punisher5.0

Maybe this is an optical illusion or something, but is the d-pad really small? Look at how the circle around the dpad and the ABXY buttons is off center to the speakers.

Regardless of the 16:9 idiocy, Supaboys have been well known for having terrible build quality. I hear nothing but problems from them and I don't know if it was ever resolved. A lot of people getting units DOA or failing inexplicably. Hyperkin has a lot of "dream devices" that are in reality a nightmare to actually live with.

• Like 1

The SNES wasn't a widescreen system. Everything played on this will be stretched and look weird, or letterboxed since they chose the wrong screen for this machine.

I don't care about screen technology (LCD or CRT, whatever) but aspect ratio matters. 4:3 for retro should be THE LAW, like no jumping when the eye is open in "I, Robot."

• Like 3

The SNES wasn't a widescreen system. Everything played on this will be stretched and look weird, or letterboxed since they chose the wrong screen for this machine.

Personally, I'd be fine with the widescreen screen thing as long as there was a pillarbox option, particularly if the screen was high enough quality (I can understand not having a good source of quality 4:3 displays). Myself and others have pushed Hyperkin on the possibility of a pillarbox option being present in the software and I think their silence speaks to it being a no-go. I just can't understand that one myself, particularly since they invested the effort in redesigning the unit. Surely someone must have brought it up along the way.

• Like 1

Pillarboxed, of course...

That term still seems odd to me but that's what is needed.

The other thing that sticks out as odd to me is the desire to insert giant ROM cartridges, but it seems people like that sort of thing

That's a good point. NES and SNES cartridges are rather annoying in handhelds because of their relative size. Of course, I have some handhelds that use crazy cartridge adapters to support multiple systems and that's particularly clumsy. I personally hate any type of wobble that causes.

It actually does make you wonder why more of these more mainstream handhelds don't just do away with the cartridge port and have SD card slots, or, better yet, offer both options. Along those lines, I know I'd pay good money for a handheld implementation of the Retro Freak (sans cartridge support), even if battery life was only about 3 hours (assuming of course they didn't mess up the controls, which is the bane of many such systems; I'm no fan of their stock controller).

That's a good point. NES and SNES cartridges are rather annoying in handhelds because of their relative size. Of course, I have some handhelds that use crazy cartridge adapters to support multiple systems and that's particularly clumsy. I personally hate any type of wobble that causes.

It actually does make you wonder why more of these more mainstream handhelds don't just do away with the cartridge port and have SD card slots, or, better yet, offer both options. Along those lines, I know I'd pay good money for a handheld implementation of the Retro Freak (sans cartridge support), even if battery life was only about 3 hours (assuming of course they didn't mess up the controls, which is the bane of many such systems; I'm no fan of their stock controller).

Wouldn't that be a Dingoo Bill? Not arguing. Just think those units fit your description.

Or a GPD XD, or a JXD s7800b, or a GCW Zero ... there are plenty of handhelds that can do this kind of thing.

Oh, believe me, I have all of those handhelds and more. I was talking something more focused and more plug and play, e.g., like my portable Retro Freak example. I'm older and lazier these days when it comes to configuring emulators and what-not myself.

At first I was excited and then dissapointed. No 4:3 screen, probably no SA1 compatibility. At least they fixed the sound problem but this could have been so much more.

Thanks for sharing my video. This was a tough review to do, because if you don't care about HDMI or aspect ratios...then this is probably perfect for you. But I do... so I had to mention it in the video.

Also...still not sure why some of my cartridges didn't work in it, yet the same cart works fine in the SNES/Retron 5...even after cleaning. I did get this unit about a month ago before it releases to the public, so maybe mine is finicky cuz it's the first off the line.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing my video. This was a tough review to do, because if you don't care about HDMI or aspect ratios...then this is probably perfect for you. But I do... so I had to mention it in the video.

Also...still not sure why some of my cartridges didn't work in it, yet the same cart works fine in the SNES/Retron 5...even after cleaning. I did get this unit about a month ago before it releases to the public, so maybe mine is finicky cuz it's the first off the line.

I enjoyed it! Thanks for making it and being honest about it.

• Like 1

It's probably because there isn't much, if any small LCD screens made in 4/3 format. So they had to get a 16/9 one. But as other people pointed out, they only had to add a simple pillaboxing option, or better, liek many PSP emulator support, options to have the screen in original pixel count, zoomed in, full screen, etc.

If the olde PSP can support those options, why not that handheld?

• Like 1

Well the Supaboy allow some people to feel "legit" and not touch emulation.

But yeah, as far as myself goes, the PSP is fine for emulation. Except maybe the PSP-1000 with that recessed D-pad that is hard to use. But a PSP-2000, with composite/component output so you can even play on your TV? It's just perfect!

• Like 2