New MAME release

181 replies to this topic

#176 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,703 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 PM

It's totally true. I got back into the Amiga 2000 after nearly 20 years away, and not just the performance, but how primitive the UI felt really struck me. We're very spoiled. ;)

I... um, no sir!

#177 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,326 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 PM

I... um, no sir!

Sorry, but I want my right-click context-sensitive pop up menus. Moving the mouse in Directory Opus felt so old fashioned. ;)

Still remembering the tricks though... going to take time for it all to come back.

#178 Casey OFFLINE  

Casey

Moonsweeper

• 307 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 PM

Just more of a curiosity question than anything else - but what's left in the TI-99 family to emulate that hasn't been?  99/4B and 99/5 ?  Or is the 99/4B = 99/5 ?  I had a look over at Fabrice's site and it looks like the OS in the 99/4B (or 99/5) is a bit unique as well.  What about the 99/7 - did that even make it far enough that one exists that could be emulated?  

#179 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 PM

99/4B and 99/5 are on my list, now that the Hexbus is working. The only challenge is that TI packed a lot into custom chips so that I will have to analyse the ROMs to find out the relevant CRU ports and mapped addresses, i.e. it will become a behavioral-based emulation rather than a circuit-based emulation. I don't want to give a date when this will be done, though.

#180 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 688 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 2:00 PM

OK,

Some people have seen the TIPI in action using a card to communicate with a Raspberry PI.

Is there some way the TIPI can be emulated in MAME and then use TIIMAGETOOL to interface the TIPI to a socket specifically for TCP access?  Obviously, it does not make sense and is highly unlikely an emulated system could be used to talk to a secondary (RPI) system, so what I am wondering is if there some other application the TIPI interface can communicate to accomplish the TCP access?

If there is no tool for the final communication piece from TIIMAGETOOL to some other tool say under a Windows system, then it all meaningless anyway.

This assumes we have Matt's blessing for TIPI emulation, etc.  Just trying to think how we can expedite application development.

Beery

#181 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,848 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:21 PM

OK,

Some people have seen the TIPI in action using a card to communicate with a Raspberry PI.

Is there some way the TIPI can be emulated in MAME and then use TIIMAGETOOL to interface the TIPI to a socket specifically for TCP access?  Obviously, it does not make sense and is highly unlikely an emulated system could be used to talk to a secondary (RPI) system, so what I am wondering is if there some other application the TIPI interface can communicate to accomplish the TCP access?

If there is no tool for the final communication piece from TIIMAGETOOL to some other tool say under a Windows system, then it all meaningless anyway.

This assumes we have Matt's blessing for TIPI emulation, etc.  Just trying to think how we can expedite application development.

Beery

Basically.. you don't need the pi at all.. everything on the pi side is python which can run on the PEECEE running mame..  we just need the socket emulation and dsr to pipe to a python engine 

Greg

#182 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,909 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:57 PM

Basically.. you don't need the pi at all.. everything on the pi side is python which can run on the PEECEE running mame..  we just need the socket emulation and dsr to pipe to a python engine 

Greg

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have been pondering how to do this in JS99'er. I don't think running the python code within the browser is going to work without major changes, even though implementations of python exist, e.g. http://www.skulpt.org/. So the python code would have to run separately, either on the user's local machine, which would permit it to access the file system, or on the server with some kind of cloud storage, which again would require changes.

The main problem is that exposing the raw socket interface over HTTP is probably going to be way too slow since it had to be coded in c on the PPi to keep up with the TI. So instead of sending individual bytes JS99'er would probably need to send full messages over the wire, but that might not even be fast enough and I'm not sure if that would work for all purposes. 

I imagine it would also be difficult to fit something very bespoke like this into the MAME code. Tursi would probably have the best chance of emulating the TIPI since he could use a native interface between Classic99's c code and the python code.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users