IGNORED

Lynx speaker: can you suggest me a spare part?

ATLynxer

Hi guys

I bought a Lynx II without sound.

I thought on a capacitor or a broken wire....while the problem is that there is not the loudspeaker in it!

I tested the sound with another Lynx I've got, and it works. So I've "only" to find a compatible loudspeaker.

I'm not interested in upgrading. Only "replace" the original.

So....any suggestions?

Thank you

Edited by ATLynxer

Thank you

But... can you use a 8 ohm instead of a 16 ohm?

I don't now the speaker... "theory".... so I simply ask...

In China there is this one: http://www.ebay.it/itm/1pcs-16-Ohm-16R-0-25W-Round-Micro-Speaker-Diameter-40mm-XH2-54-Connector-/391633988079?hash=item5b2f3469ef:g:zPUAAOSwLF1X59t3

What do you think?

Edited by ATLynxer

I've read something about loudspeakers around....and I found that in the stereo systems or electronic guitar amplifiers+preamplifier systems, it's deprecated using lower impedance loudspeakers because it overfatigue the system. I really don't know if it's the same also for the Lynx...

The amps in the Lynx 2 are speced to run an 8ohm speaker quite happily, in fact it will be a noticeable amount louder with an 8 ohm speaker with it. That's why the Lynx 1 is louder as it has an 8ohm speaker in it.

Thats the first time I've ever heard anyone say about amp fatiguing or sound quality being depreciated by running a lower impedance speaker before and my father did work for Dolby, Quad and did development work on the class D amplifier. An amp is either speced for it or not. Run a speaker with an impedance an amp is not designed for then yes you are asking for a negative result.

I run an 8ohm mylar speaker in my Lynx 2 and the sound quality is much better.

• Like 3

I've read something about loudspeakers around....and I found that in the stereo systems or electronic guitar amplifiers+preamplifier systems, it's deprecated using lower impedance loudspeakers because it overfatigue the system. I really don't know if it's the same also for the Lynx...

Electronic guitar amps are often tube systems, can't compare them with the simple Lynx IC amps.

Often overlooked but

Lynx I uses a LM386

Lynx II uses a NJM2073

They have comparable distortion figures but still could sound a bit different....haven't tried. Both can drive anything between 4 and 32 Ohms but of course output levels will differ.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

That'll be spot on ATLynxer. The wattage figure is the power it can handle so with it being rated higher it will present no issue.

Level42 I just checked a Lynx 2 motherboard that I'm repairing for a friend it being revision C104471-001 Rev A and that is using two 386 amps made by JRC. My other two Lynx 2's are exactly the same. Is your board a later revision?

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you but I live in Europe...

I ordered a 8 Ohm: http://www.ebay.it/itm/282268887974?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hope it will be ok...

Arrived: it works good.

The sound is clear and louder than the original speaker of another Lynx I've got (but I don't know if this one is "knackered").

Anyway...for neither 3 euros... the one I bought is very good....

Anyway, the original Lynx 1 speaker is still louder than this

Edited by ATLynxer

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but there is a bit of mis-information in it...

The important things are:

- the speaker is the 'load' to the amp

- current flow = voltage / impedance ( I = V / Z )

- watts = current X voltage ( P = I x V )

- the amp does not "push out" anything. It supplies a voltage, and current flows according to impedance.

- Lower impedance = higher current flow

- higher current flow = higher wattage.

The wattage rating of the speaker is somewhat irrelevant to much at all, it is certainly not a figure of how much itll take pushed in before it blows.