Photo

Atari Flashback Portable Tear Down

12 replies to this topic

#1 TheEditor OFFLINE  

TheEditor

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2016 6:25 PM

Here are pictures of the Atari Flashback Portable internals.  The only thing I wonder is what could be hiding under the black blob??  Core ROM maybe?
Note:  Demarcation on the mat in the background is 1" for reference.

Excuse the reflection of my smartphone on the screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016-12-02 18.56.01.jpg
  • 2016-12-02 18.56.07.jpg
  • 2016-12-02 18.59.29.jpg
  • 2016-12-02 18.59.35.jpg
  • 2016-12-02 19.01.50.jpg
  • 2016-12-02 19.01.55.jpg

Edited by TheEditor, Fri Dec 2, 2016 6:29 PM.

#2 Havok69 OFFLINE  

Havok69

Dragonstomper

• 910 posts

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2016 9:35 AM

I wonder how hard it would be to de-case this and put it in a regualr Flashback case? then solder in the buttons and a serial connection for the joystick? Hmmmm....

#3 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2016 9:50 AM

The joystick connections come up to the "blob" side where the black battery lead is covering RN5.  

Then it appears that 4 Joystick traces go under the SD connector into the "blob". 

I'm not seeing any Player 2 lines or paddle lines. 

#4 Nathan Strum ONLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,304 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:13 AM

Love the manufacturer's name on the battery: "Shenzhen Swanky Technology Co., Ltd.".

Swanky. :D

#5 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,382 posts

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:23 AM

Love the manufacturer's name on the battery: "Shenzhen Swanky Technology Co., Ltd.".

Swanky. :D

http://www.urbandict...php?term=swanky

"This Atari Flashback Portable is sooo Swanky..." :grin:

#6 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 835 posts

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:44 PM

I've been hoping someone would be reckless with their pricey new acquisition open up an AFBP and post pictures, so big thanks! ;P

The only thing I wonder is what could be hiding under the black blob??  Core ROM maybe?

The glob-top is most likely covering the system's microcontroller, which in this case is AtGames' Monkey King chip. See the "MK" written on the PCB? It refers to the chip's name--though maybe it is in fact a Monkey King 2, given that it actually says "MK2." While this is the first retail application of the chip I'm aware of, it's been a few years since Monkey King was originally developed and added to AtGames' arsenal of chips (which includes Noza (SMS/GG on a chip), RedKid/RedKid 2 (Genesis on a chip), and Titan (an ARM implementation that has powered all of AtGames' Flashbacks, until now--Monkey King is apparently the next-gen Titan)). So, it's certainly possible this is a newer revision of Monkey King. The debug mode just displays "MK," though, not "MK2."

The ESMT chip is 8 MB of SDRAM (which I'll note is 4X the amount that was in the CV FB, INTV FB, and AFB5). I can't see what's written on the other packaged chip, which is presumably the flash memory containing the games. Can you post what's printed on it?

Again, thanks for the photos!

onmode-ky

#7 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,689 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 AM

I've been hoping someone would be reckless with their pricey new acquisition open up an AFBP and post pictures, so big thanks! ;P

November 24th... did it first.  :D

http://atariage.com/...20#entry3637891

#8 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 835 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:32 PM

Ah, I fell behind in the forum starting around Thanksgiving, and it didn't help that that particular thread blew up with posts like crazy. Thank you for your bravery as well! It's interesting to note that your pre-production revision of the PCB doesn't include the AFBP's eventual product ID (AP2632) but does include "FB7" in the name. Maybe they had considered bringing the new chip to the FB7 as well, at one point.

I tried to identify the flash memory chip DMC D30N16008, but I didn't really get anywhere. "DMC" most likely is Digital Media Cartridge, a company that is either a division or affiliate of AtGames and to whom the creation of the Flashbacks' Titan chip is typically attributed. The "best" info I got: in a German forum where someone was trying to dump the contents of the chip several years ago, he concluded that it was similar to a better known 8-MB flash memory chip. So, maybe it's 8 MB . . . or maybe not. At any rate, it might not be what was used in the production version. I can't read the corresponding chip's ID in our production version photos.

onmode-ky

#9 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

River Patroller

• 2,134 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:33 PM

Anyone know who Fabs their chips?

#10 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,382 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 PM

Anyone know who Fabs their chips?

Isn't the manufacturer normally listed on the white print? Unless it's on of those China fabs that makes such bad parts they don't want to be found out. But then they probably print someone else's logo on it... :ponder:

#11 TheEditor OFFLINE  

TheEditor

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:43 PM

The glob-top is most likely covering the system's microcontroller, which in this case is AtGames' Monkey King chip. See the "MK" written on the PCB? It refers to the chip's name--though maybe it is in fact a Monkey King 2, given that it actually says "MK2." While this is the first retail application of the chip I'm aware of, it's been a few years since Monkey King was originally developed and added to AtGames' arsenal of chips (which includes Noza (SMS/GG on a chip), RedKid/RedKid 2 (Genesis on a chip), and Titan (an ARM implementation that has powered all of AtGames' Flashbacks, until now--Monkey King is apparently the next-gen Titan)). So, it's certainly possible this is a newer revision of Monkey King. The debug mode just displays "MK," though, not "MK2."

The ESMT chip is 8 MB of SDRAM (which I'll note is 4X the amount that was in the CV FB, INTV FB, and AFB5). I can't see what's written on the other packaged chip, which is presumably the flash memory containing the games. Can you post what's printed on it?

Again, thanks for the photos!

onmode-ky

Sadly no. The pictures I posted are the best I have.  I am not interested in taking it apart again.

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

Edited by TheEditor, Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:36 PM.

#12 TheEditor OFFLINE  

TheEditor

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:43 PM

duplicate post

Edited by TheEditor, Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:35 PM.

#13 TheEditor OFFLINE  

TheEditor

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:46 PM

Ah, I fell behind in the forum starting around Thanksgiving, and it didn't help that that particular thread blew up with posts like crazy. Thank you for your bravery as well! It's interesting to note that your pre-production revision of the PCB doesn't include the AFBP's eventual product ID (AP2632) but does include "FB7" in the name. Maybe they had considered bringing the new chip to the FB7 as well, at one point.

I tried to identify the flash memory chip DMC D30N16008, but I didn't really get anywhere. "DMC" most likely is Digital Media Cartridge, a company that is either a division or affiliate of AtGames and to whom the creation of the Flashbacks' Titan chip is typically attributed. The "best" info I got: in a German forum where someone was trying to dump the contents of the chip several years ago, he concluded that it was similar to a better known 8-MB flash memory chip. So, maybe it's 8 MB . . . or maybe not. At any rate, it might not be what was used in the production version. I can't read the corresponding chip's ID in our production version photos.

onmode-ky

Not sure how this is a pre-production board as it was purchased 2 days before i opened it from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Unless i got lucky somehow and got a different internal board.

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users