IGNORED

TI Basic game finished: Bertie the friendly alien

tibasic

Hello!

I'm having some fun with a new game I'm developing in TI Basic. It started out trying to develop a Pac-man type game but has morphed into something else.

I plan to keep it simple and just add a few more levels of difficulty. I think the game is pretty much as I like it visually. I have attached a demo version of the game. Hope it is enjoyable.

Cheers,

tibasic

I have attached the finished version of the game to this post (BERT_GAME) as it might be easier to find than scrolling through the posts.

post-34194-0-75150800-1480793577_thumb.png

post-34194-0-93965900-1480793589_thumb.png

post-34194-0-24768100-1480793609_thumb.png

BERT_DEMO.zip

BERT_GAME.zip

Edited by tibasic
  • Like 7

There seems to be a little bug where a second instance of Bertie is generated after he dies while the original instance remains on screen.

Pretty challenging and original. I like it! Nice touch with the graphics on the splash screen by the way :)

I have a soft spot for TI BASIC because that is all I programmed in when I first got my TI from 1981 to 1985. It was not until the mid-90's that I actually acquired anything more than the console and a cassette recorder after coming back to it from the PC world...

• Like 1

Thanks for trying it!

I thought I'd fixed that bug but playing it again it seems not. I'll tidy up the code and find out what the cause is.

I actually value the limitations of TI Basic these days. I don't really have time (or am I getting too old?) to learn a lot of new things. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Probably close to finishing it as I'm approaching the out of memory situation.

There are two levels now. I'll make 5 basic levels altogether with the other 3 levels being small variations on the first two. The levels will then repeat with increasing difficulty. In the 2nd level Bertie can jump into the river and swim to safety when being pursued by an invader.

post-34194-0-53374100-1484862948_thumb.png

post-34194-0-15382300-1484862955_thumb.png

post-34194-0-64044000-1484862965_thumb.png

BERT1901.zip

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the balanced comments sometimes99er.

The unpredictability was intentional as I found it a lot of fun ... I have adjusted the difficulty for breaking the wall so it is easier at the start.

I actually experimented with making the river more predictable but the code wouldn't fit into the memory. I have kept the original lean looking code. I have slightly adjusted the routine so Bertie finds himself on dry land after jumping in the river.

Levels one to four are finished. I just need to think of something fun to put in level 5 and what to do after level 5 (just repeat the levels again maybe ...). Each level has a different alien (which I lifted from my invaders game). Also this game is intended as a follow on from after the invaders have landed so that's why they are included in this game.

Level 1: The city

Level 2: Countryside (as it is here in Finland or some end of the world winter wasteland)

Level 3: City again but now when the alien bumps into a wall they knock down a brick and it blocks the road

Level 4: The river turns to ice every now and again making it easy to cross

Level 5: City again but nothing special happening here yet

Level 6: A dark void. Perhaps representing the end of the world or outer space? This of course will not be in the final version of the game ... I'm just being a bit lazy to make a nice ending at the moment.

There's a few small bugs in the game that need to be ironed out. Next version will be the finished version.

BERT0302.zip

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I decided that a bus would add some variety (obviously if there are roads there needs to be something to drive ...). Bertie can drive it around to rescue people in the first screen of each level. By pressing a key (1 to 9) the bus is transported to a building.

The game repeats the five screens for each level.

1. City with a bus

2. Forest with a river for swimming to escape an invader

3. A city with falling debris that blocks your path (it appears when a invader bumps into a building)

4. Forest with a river for swimming in or for walking over if ice appears

5. A city with no bus and no falling debris (to have a bit of rest before moving onto the next level)

The game increases in difficulty by increasing the number of people to be rescued each level.

I will fix some small bugs and then post the finished game. I will be open to changes if the game play is found to be awkward.

post-34194-0-26534800-1492075946_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thanks for trying it!

I thought I'd fixed that bug but playing it again it seems not. I'll tidy up the code and find out what the cause is.

I actually value the limitations of TI Basic these days. I don't really have time (or am I getting too old?) to learn a lot of new things. :)

You should really take a look at XB256 and the BASIC compiler! It's empowering for BASIC coders and not at all difficult to use/learn.

Cool game btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Every language has advantages and disadvantages.

Small number of code commands makes for easy to write programs but also does not allow complicated programs to be written and easy to understand. i.e. Assembly vs LOGO

LOGO is easy to write a set of small programs that draw very complicated graphics even from a beginner.

Assembly can do this too but the program would be huge and hardly easy to understand for a beginner to use.

Again both have strengths, one is more powerful but comes at a huge cost in investment of time to learn.

If one knew both they would prefer the more powerful, but if one did not know then the obvious choice would but the one easy to use.

• Like 2

Even though, yes, XB256 has been pushed (by myself as well, im as guilty as anyone) ... there's still good scope for all languages TI basic included. Just look at these games TI basic is making, I tell you now, they're better than any of the stuff that was coming out in the UK back in like '82 to '85 .... keep going with whatever you have fun with most.

I might even attempt a TI Basic game again at some point I must admit this thread has me tempted. To see what fancy stuff can be pulled off, just with the console basic nothing else involved. I've already written a parallax scroll routine to go with something.

• Like 2

One of the projects I wanted to attempt in GPL was take TI BASIC and drop the use of VDP for everything and convert it to RAM in upper 24K of the 32K RAM memory expansion.

The relative slow Basic would speed up considerably compared to the slow byte access of VDP it currently uses.

RAM is many times faster than VDP.

• Like 1

One of the projects I wanted to attempt in GPL was take TI BASIC and drop the use of VDP for everything and convert it to RAM in upper 24K of the 32K RAM memory expansion.

The relative slow Basic would speed up considerably compared to the slow byte access of VDP it currently uses.

RAM is many times faster than VDP.

Wouldn't that be amazing! Lots of effort involved though...

The speed of TI basic was the thing that really put me off the TI in the 80s. I started using Acorn's BBC computer because it seemed so much faster.

TI basic does have potential though and just needs to have its good features utilised and its not so good features used sparingly. :)

Here is the Bertie game in its final form. I expect there are some bugs in it but nothing major. Hope it is enjoyable.

I will probably post a more polished version some time.

BERT2204.zip

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have attached the finished version of the game to the first post and here also ...

I have done some work to polish up the game as I discovered a few problems playing it again recently.

The main improvements are:

The positioning of the bus has been changed making it easier to go and rescue a person.

The end of game screen has been slightly improved so you can play again without having to run the game again.

Maybe most importantly it is possible to outrun an invader now. I thought the game was a bit difficult so I thought I would give Bertie a bit of an advantage.

BERT_GAME.zip

• Like 4

Took a break to unzip and give this a couple spins. It looks fantastic and the play is pretty quick and intuitive.

I didn't have time to play enough to the harder levels yet, but I look forward to spending more time with it this weekend. Great work!

I really like little touches like the cursor "typing out" the words when you're setting up the score fields, etc.