IGNORED

Speech Synthesizer modifications: AUDIOIN and 5VDC pass-through

OLD CS1

I spent time tonight modifying my four Speech Synthesizers to allow AUDIOIN and +5VDC power pass-through. Not professional work by any means, but nothing is shorted and all four work.
The AUDIOIN modification is good for Marc Hull's SIDMaster99 as the Speech Synthesizer is stingy with that line, using it for itself only and not passing through the incoming line from the PEB. (Why would TI do that in the first place?)
The +5VDC modification allows for powering devices like the nanoPEB and CF7+, as well as jedimatt42's 32k expansion card.

These devices require modification to obtain power from the console.

•The AUDIOIN line will also come in handy for possible future expansions using the 32k expansion's pass-through connector icon_mrgreen.gif)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

After getting a SID Master 99, from Marc, I was astonished to find out that TI terminated the audio in line in the speech synthesizer... That just made no sense, particularly when they built the expansion box to support an audio-in line...

At least as you've illustrated, these are some pretty straightforward mods to make to the speech synthesizer.

Omega also illustrates the power mod in his video showcasing my 32k card.

-M@

So does it mean that the SID Master card won't produce any audio if the speech synth is attached without your mod?

Yep. Or move the speech into the PEB, or inside the console. But the mod is so trivial, it isn't but a few minutes of work. This was the first thing Marc pointed me at when I didn't hear any SID output.

-M@

• 1 year later...