Some months ago I was reading about the unreleased Anteater for Atari VCS/2600 and I decided to implement my own version called Aardvark, mostly as a way to at last learn playfield graphics, it was one of my weak points as Space Raid didn't have almost any PF graphics.
In that thread you can see three feature-testing ROM (first with the Aardvark, second with the playfield graphics, third with enemies)
9. PRGE demo version: Sun moves to left and night mode. Counts level and increases difficulty. Added tongue retrain sound effect. Random configuration for levels. Counts lives. Avoids worm appearing over ant. Going down doesn't affect going left/right. New enemies: ant, caterpillar, spider. Only one worm can appear at any moment. Calculates bonus (but not yet represented in screen) Solved several bugs. Added click sound effect for sunset. Title screen.
8. No changes except modifying it for compatibility with the Atari Flashback Portable. I received this gift from Tarzilla, thanks! (technical note: all display code moved to a single bank, otherwise the AFP crashes)
7. Corrected lack of feet in aardvark. Aardvark exits level when all eggs eaten (but returns to same level). Remade code for collision of tongue. Corrected bug where eating right queen would delete left queen. Added music and sound effects
6. Added enemy waves of ants and worms. Aardvark can eat enemies and queen ants. Restarts level when tongue touched.
5. Tongue can be taken back with joystick. Button only returns tongue while pressed. Fixed queen ants in the bottom. Now counts and displays score for eating eggs.
4. The tongue is moveable with joystick, press button to drop tongue, move with joystick (you cannot go back over your tongue) and press button again to take back tongue.
Now that most of the core is complete, following pieces should be more easy to code.