Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600

108 replies to this topic

#101 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,980 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I would prefer savekey support.

Why that?

#102 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Dragonstomper

• 584 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 PM

Why that?

CPUWIZ made me a savekey and since I've had it, I've played the homebrews that supported it more than any of the others. I really wish more games supported it. I know everyone doesn't have a savekey, so it might be more practical to have the cart keep the high score. I just like the concept of the savekey. It's an interesting accessory. Maybe add high score support for the carts and release the binary later with savekey support for those with Harmony Carts.  :)

#103 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,980 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 AM

Maybe add high score support for the carts and release the binary later with savekey support for those with Harmony Carts.  icon_smile.gif

Harmony is a great tool and I am using it regularly too for playing and development.

But since Harmony, homebrew sales have dropped very significantly. So saving on the cart instead of a SaveKey is one last benefit and incentive for people who are not collectors but still support homebrewing by buying carts.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 AM.

#104 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,133 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 PM

Unless the cart utilizes speech, I would prefer the flash ROM saves option. Sometimes I forget to plug in the AtariVox or heaven forbid it gets lost in the game clutter. :P

#105 chavert OFFLINE  

chavert

Moonsweeper

• 357 posts

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 PM

Good job, on the other hand I've experienced some difficulties at times to go from one tunnel to another, lack of precision.

#106 NostAlgae37 OFFLINE  

NostAlgae37

Star Raider

• 52 posts

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 PM

Good job, on the other hand I've experienced some difficulties at times to go from one tunnel to another, lack of precision.

I have been playing this a lot on the AFP, and it is extremely addictive and has become one of my favorite go-to games.  But I do agree about the lack of precision in the control of the tongue (especially when retracting it with the button).  I don't know if this can be corrected easily, as it might sacrifice some speed which is needed to avoid the emerging insects and make the game playable.  The other 2 items that are missing and would make the game so much more enjoyable is if it retained and displayed your high score (not after you turn it off, just while you are playing it) and perhaps even more importantly, if the reset button actually worked so that you restart your game if you mess up early and want to try again from the beginning.

Thanks anyway nanochess for making this incredible game, it really is so much fun and any small improvements that you are able to make from here on are only icing on the cake.  :thumbsup:

#107 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,980 posts

Posted Thu Feb 1, 2018 3:06 AM

Any updates?

#108 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,183 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:11 AM

Any updates?

I've been sidetracked by a lot of things, but as soon as I've time I intend to solve some collision bugs introduced when I changed the kernel and then continue with the arcade missing parts. :)

In fact I've 21 TODO points in Aardvark source code waiting ominously behind me while I'm doing other things :P

#109 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,133 posts

Posted Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:09 AM

Nanochess replied. That is good enough for me to know the project isn't dead. I will patiently await future updates.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users