Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600

134 replies to this topic

#126 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:29 PM

BTW, the Aardvark title (cimmerian's Zero Page Hombrew thumbnail attachment) screen looks amazing! :thumbsup:

Edited by sramirez2008, Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:33 PM.

#127 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,981 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 7:00 PM

BTW, the Aardvark title (cimmerian's Zero Page Hombrew thumbnail attachment) screen looks amazing! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I did that as kind of a quick 'n' dirty placeholder. However, I've never been happy with it, so it's in the process of being redone.

#128 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,356 posts

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 10:03 PM

Cool! Do note that Timmy! is more of a proof of concept at this point.

For fun set the Left Difficult to A and some sprites will show up at the top-center that will be updated on the fly to show what's detected around Timmy. The left 3 sprites show the platforms/ladders while the right sprite shows the ropes/slides.

Finally got my S2000 sold, so just a few more RL things to take care of this coming week after which I'll be back to work on SpiceC. That means Frantic will be seeing some love soon as I'll be converting it from DPC+ to SpiceC.

attachicon.giftimmy.png

So is Spice C a new banking driver for Melody boards like CDF, or just a new way to develop games using high level code (ie Batari Basic)?

#129 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,270 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:06 AM

There's a reason I linked to the SpiceC Blog entries - I figured anybody interested would at least RTFBP (Read The First Blog Post).

#130 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,270 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 PM

Watching the ZeroPageHomebrew stream - must say I'm really impressed with what y'all have done to Aardvark since I last played it :thumbsup:

#131 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,472 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:02 PM

Watching the ZeroPageHomebrew stream - must say I'm really impressed with what y'all have done to Aardvark since I last played it :thumbsup:

You able to add a link ? Would love to check it out .

#132 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,270 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 PM

You able to add a link ? Would love to check it out .

https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

They're done with Aardvark and are currently playing Homestar RPG. I believe John Champeau's Avalanche will be up soon.

#133 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,359 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 PM

Thanks. All stock 2600 (no ARMs harmed in the making ;)) with 128 bytes of extra RAM. And ~16K ROM used so far.

The graphics are mostly done but as you can see in the video, we still have to do quite some tweaking on the gameplay. Currently it is still unfair and too hard way too often. And we have to iron out some bugs too.

Plus adding some bells and whistles. :)

BTW: That mountain glitch when the aardvark moves out is neither in Stella nor on my hardware. I hope I can still find out and fix it.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 AM.

#134 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 PM

I lost the feed last night, but wached most of Aardvark and WOW, this game like looks great. Quite an improvement over the PRGE version, which I thought looked pretty good. I can’t wait to see the final product.

Any chance of providing the current ROM?

#135 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,738 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:11 PM

BTW: That mountain glitch when the aardvark moves out is neither in Stella nor on my hardware. I hope I can still find out and fix it.

Maybe related, maybe not:

On some systems I own, I saw my DPC+ bB DK game would cause that playfield area to blink pixels. Most consoles don't do this.

Having ZeroPage cimmerian stream my game and give feedback, his console was blinking ghost playfield pixels.

And streaming doesn't handle 58 frames per second good at all. The capture footage reposted is perfect by the way, that's nearly the way the game play live. Playing my game or Star Castle for real is a little better than the best capture because CRT adds persistence, even LCD display with real systems have things that capturing misses.

Always the second left playfield 8 bits, or the one after PF0, from about the center of the display going up, but not up to the top.

When I saw that Space Cactus Canyon also has this, I really switched from thinking it's from really early and really late TIA chips, (which it kind of still is), but to thinking it is kernel code causing some systems to have these  "ghost pixels".

In Cactus Canyon, it is just one dark playfield pixel that's turned on, looking like something to get or avoid, but it wasn't programmed. And it is in the same playfield place as my game.

RevEng actually changed the update time in the bB kernel and fixed it and released a new version of bB. 

Hope that helps! Try different systems and see if some work fine and others "mountain glitch".

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users