IGNORED

Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600

nanochess

I don't know how you guys did it, but the game play is very smooth. It’s easy to make the tongue go where you want it to.

I like the animated aardvark intro and would leave it as-is. Also like the built-in pause that the Bonus provides between levels.

Like John, I made it to the 2nd hill, the 2nd time around, but I didn't lose my high score in the subsequent game.

I played the ROM on my 7800 via Harmony Encore.

I'll try to play some more this weekend. :)

attachicon.gifAardvark.jpg attachicon.gifAardvark2.jpg

How the hell did you get a score that high? I got 10,000 and was psyched. :)

• Like 2

Over the last months the team was working hard on the game. Since we are almost done, we thought this might be the right time for another release.

Fantastic! There are some really huge changes here in comparison to V.9. In addition to the graphics, control is really a lot more precise in this new demo. Honestly, I really didn't expect this to end up being even more impressive than the A8 version. Looking forward to the final release.

(PS - Like johnnywc I am actually pretty bad at this game right now. I need a lot more practice or else I will never actually make it to Level 5!)

(PS - Like johnnywc I am actually pretty bad at this game right now. I need a lot more practice or else I will never actually make it to Level 5!)

Lol now that I've figured out how to play (thanks for the tips TJ & Steve!) I've gotten pretty good!

post-30-0-46854500-1542469909_thumb.png

TJ - I saw what I think was a green caterpillar on one of the higher levels; I avoided it so I'm not exactly sure what it's special traits are.

PS I think I found what may be a 'bug', or maybe just a suggestion :). One of my strategies for getting a high score is to use the queen bees when there are the most insects on the screen, so I usually wait until the last moment to use them. In one instance, I died (an ant hit the tongue) but I also got the queen bee (as I saw the 1000 point displayed). They must have happened on the same frame; any chance the collision detection can be changed so that if the queen bee is killed on a frame it will supersede the collision detection for the tongue? Either way, I think it would make sense to have either event occur on a frame but not both at the same time. I had to implement something similar in Mappy when detecting the end of level when the last prize is collected vs. colliding with a cat.

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 3

TJ - I saw what I think was a green caterpillar on one of the higher levels; I avoided it so I'm not exactly sure what it's special traits are.

The caterpillar is nothing special, it behaves like a red ant. So you can eat it next time. icon_smile.gif

PS I think I found what may be a 'bug', or maybe just a suggestion icon_smile.gif. One of my strategies for getting a high score is to use the queen bees when there are the most insects on the screen, so I usually wait until the last moment to use them. In one instance, I died (an ant hit the tongue) but I also got the queen bee (as I saw the 1000 point displayed). They must have happened on the same frame; any chance the collision detection can be changed so that if the queen bee is killed on a frame it will supersede the collision detection for the tongue? Either way, I think it would make sense to have either event occur on a frame but not both at the same time. I had to implement something similar in Mappy when detecting the end of level when the last prize is collected vs. colliding with a cat.

I will look into this. But shouldn't a simultaneous collision result into both events? I cannot see any priority here (or in your Mappy example).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Latest high score. John was getting too close. ;)

Today I played several rounds on my light sixer. The game held my high scores (as I progressed) and I didn’t encounter any bugs. I have noticed that if you press the fire button immediately after losing a life, you can skip the bonus points section and start your next life without receiving any bonus points, which may have accumulated.

post-21941-0-81031800-1542493521.jpg

• Like 2

I have noticed that if you press the fire button immediately after losing a life, you can skip the bonus points section and start your next life without receiving any bonus points, which may have accumulated.

That's clearly a bug. Thanks for reporting!

Played another couple of rounds and I encountered the HS bug John mentioned. My previous score was 69,620 and the subsequent score was 120,400 but the game held onto 69,620. I also noticed something else. I was under 120,000 on my last life and died, however the bonus put me at 120,400 but I didn't receive another life.

post-21941-0-25155900-1542497021.jpg post-21941-0-26328700-1542497269.jpg post-21941-0-78118500-1542497353.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 2

Played another couple of rounds and I encountered the HS bug John mentioned. My previous score was 69,620 and the subsequent score was 120,400 but the game held onto 69,620. I also noticed something else. I was under 120,000 on my last life and died, however the bonus put me at 120,400 but I didn't receive another life.

I really like that you seem to enjoy our game. :)

The former bug might be the result of disabling the SaveKey code. This still needs some research. The latter bug is new and I already found and fixed the code responsible. Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I played a few rounds. Judging from the scores posted so far I need to practice a lot!

post-10599-0-84711200-1542544854_thumb.png

Found no bug so far, apart for the already mentioned HS one. I really like the game. Beautiful graphics, interesting gameplay and precise controls.

P.S. I'd like to play this on real hardware too, any chance for a PAL(60) version?

• Like 1

Simply beautiful.

Aardvark is shaping up to become another must-have homebrew masterpiece belonging into every self-respecting 2600 collection. An all-around charming and captivating game, with all its elements blending together smoothly for an exciting experience.

What I love:

• addicting, challenging gameplay

• great graphics with silky smooth animation (the aardvark is spectacular for a 2600 game), beautiful title screen, etc.

• catchy and fitting tunes and sounds

• beautiful presentation. Title screen graphic sets the tune perfectly now (the earlier graphic was nice, but the new one is adorable), and the Aardvark intro immediately draws the player into the gameworld.

• the attention to detail. Playful fonts, score value displaying when critters are being swalloved, etc.

Consequently my suggestions would not target to make it better, as it already is close to perfect, but to make “more” out of this brilliant creation :-)

Finetuning requests:

• better timing of the title screen / demo loop. It's really pleasant to listen to the full title screen music, but a bit odd to watch the title screen for a couple of minutes first, while the subsequent game demo then usually only lasts a dozen seconds atmost.

• likewise the Game Over screen should automatically end and switch back to the title screen after a while. Ideally with some kind of “extro” animation. Like having a handful of ants doing a “victory dance” and then carrying away the Game Over logo. Switch back to the title screen after that.

Wishlist!: ( to add more variation and longlasting appeal)

A couple additional foes/ gameplay elements for later levels:

• egg-laying antqueens. These would appear on later levels to fill up already cleared rows.
  • bonus aardvark cucumber (only vegetable an aardvark does eat according to wikipedia). Appears randomly, static, gives big points, but: slows down the tongue. → a tactical gameplay element

• termites: they travel the anthill down and up in a clockwise pattern. Behave similar to worms

Intermissions.

It would be fantastic if the game would treat players to some kind of simple yet clever animated intermission every 5 levels or so to keep the player hooked. This type of breaks has proven to add a lot of atmosphere and longterm appeal to such single-screen arcade games. Only wishing...

Would be great if any of these could be considered to make Aardvark the ultimate Anteater version, but in any case it is a fantastic 2600 game already.

Thanks for the treat!

Edited by r_type2600

Many thanks for the compliments.

better timing of the title screen / demo loop. It's really pleasant to listen to the full title screen music, but a bit odd to watch the title screen for a couple of minutes first, while the subsequent game demo then usually only lasts a dozen seconds atmost.

What would you suggest here? Shortening the tune? Starting the demo even though the tune is still playing? Something else?

likewise the Game Over screen should automatically end and switch back to the title screen after a while. Ideally with some kind of extro animation. Like having a handful of ants doing a victory dance and then carrying away the Game Over logo. Switch back to the title screen after that.

Aargh! That use to work until I restructured some variables. Thanks for pointing it out.

A couple additional foes/ gameplay elements for later levels:

On my list already. Probably withing a different game mode ("wild") which is still not decided yet. The normal modes should stay close to the arcade.

egg-laying antqueens. These would appear on later levels to fill up already cleared rows.

Also planned for the "wild" mode.

bonus aardvark cucumber (only vegetable an aardvark does eat according to wikipedia). Appears randomly, static, gives big points, but: slows down the tongue. → a tactical gameplay element

Not sure if power ups can make it into the game, currently we are running out of sprite space. Noted nevertheless.

Maybe we only change behavior of existing sprites, in "wild" mode and maybe only at day or night.

termites: they travel the anthill down and up in a clockwise pattern. Behave similar to worms

Noted too.

It would be fantastic if the game would treat players to some kind of simple yet clever animated intermission every 5 levels or so to keep the player hooked. This type of breaks has proven to add a lot of atmosphere and longterm appeal to such single-screen arcade games. Only wishing...

Good idea. If we have space (and time) left at the end, this could be some final polishing.

There should not be any jumps in difficulty ramp up (especially in this limited demo version). What did you notice and when?

Hmmm, it seemed to be that I was cruising along (maybe 10 hills or so) and at about 90K the ants starting coming out faster (the delay between the 'rounds' of ants seemed shorter) so I was caught a few times where I hadn't eaten enough of the dots when the spider came out. It could have been perceived, I'll play again. It could have been getting incrementally more difficult but I perhaps didn't notice since I'm so good at the game lol (j/k). :D

Edited by johnnywc

In the demo, the ramp up (e.g. the time before a killed ant reappears again) is only defined by the hill number. Which never get's higher than 5. So, unless there is a hidden bug, I cannot see how something you described could have happened.

BTW: With the slow ramp up, you mean that the game should ramp up faster within the 5 hills?

What would you suggest here? Shortening the tune? Starting the demo even though the tune is still playing? Something else?

Indeed tricky. Tune is too good to be shortened. On the other hand the demo is indeed best kept silent.

Hmm.

- Judging from some of the comments, most posters had some difficulty to figure out the gameplay initially. So some kind of guidance would be useful.

The demo does not really help here as it's too short.

Why not introduce a screen that presents the "bestiary" with their behavior. Nothing fancy. Just a running animation of each of the critters along with a short text description of their behaviour.

(similar to Wizard of Wor)

Say: (Animated Ant Graphic) - Dazzles Aardvark when touches tongue. Eat with tongue tip.

(Animated Caterpillar) - Avoid from front. Eat from behind.

...and so on. (Text definitely could be improved.)

- You already have an option screen. Include it in the title loop as well. This helps to better integrate that screen in the overall presentation as well.

- To extend the demo part let it run through 3 deaths consecutively. But drop the Aardvark intro for the demo. That icing is better kept for the proper game.

With this, the title mode would loop through 4 screens now (Title, Options, Instructions, Demo).

The music could fully play through the first 3 screens, and then switch to the silent demo.

A good balance is of course subject to trial, but I feel a nice loop could look like this:

- Title (5/8 of the title tune)

- Options (1/8 of the tune)

- Instructions (2/8 of the tune)

- Demo (silent. 3 times without Aardvark intro)

Hope this all makes sense ;-)

Edited by r_type2600

Hi TJ,

In the demo, the ramp up (e.g. the time before a killed ant reappears again) is only defined by the hill number. Which never get's higher than 5. So, unless there is a hidden bug, I cannot see how something you described could have happened.

BTW: With the slow ramp up, you mean that the game should ramp up faster within the 5 hills?

My bad, it may just be the difference between the hills and the demo mode that is throwing me off. I thought it was just repeating the patterns of the hills but the difficulty would still ramp up (ie. the 2nd '1st' hill would be harder than the first '5th hill') but it sounds like Hill #1 should be the same difficultly each time (even the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around), in the demo only of course.

I may have gotten through the 5 hills, subconsciously expected hill 6 to be more difficult and when it wasn't it through me off. When it got difficult I must have been on Hill #4 or Hill #5.

I'll play it again with this in mind and let you know my thoughts.

Sorry for the confusion!

John