IGNORED

Something you bought instead of the NES Classic Mini

save2600

Just want to keep the thread on topic to those that made or will be making alternate purchases only.

Having officially given up on trying to procure one before Christmas, treated myself to a shiny new copy of Skyhammer for the Jaguar. Not only does it help showcase the capabilities of the system, but is a great game that I felt compelled to give a second chance to. And glad I did! Besides, Christmastime is that much more special when it's an Atari Christmas. :love:

I know some here have talked about purchasing the Mini as a gift for someone, so if you too have given up, what did you decide to blow your hard earned cash on instead? Like any of the other Flashbacks, real NES, multi-carts, or... ?

I don't know that I was really in the market for a Mini. Back when they were first announced, my mother asked me if I'd like one for Christmas, and I declined. I still have the original and all the cartridges that I don't have time to play. However, I do happen to have a stack of Atari Flashbacks and the older Jakks plug-and-play joysticks, so I guess you could say I was still curious about the Mini, and might have picked one up had I seen it next to the cash register in whatever store I was in.

But instead I've been spending more money than usual on old video games lately, now that I'm pursuing some specific holes in my collection in earnest. I recently acquired Pigs in Space, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Obelix and Cosmic Commuter for the 2600 and Popeye, Winter Games and Track & Field for the NES. And now 2600 Beamrider is on the way!

• Like 1

I'll pick up an NES Classic Mini eventually, but I'm waiting for the prices to come down and for the feeding frenzy and the false scarcity to go away. In the meantime, and before the NES Classic Mini even came out (but after I learned about it), I picked up a RetroUSB AVS console and an EverDrive N8 multicart. To me, it's a much better value overall: you get more games, you can use original NES controllers, and you still get HDMI output plus an integrated Four Score interface. I've also been treating myself to a few Atari 800 and TI 99/4A items (some software I've always wanted, some extra hardware, etc).

• Like 2

I finally ordered a Ms Pacman replica stick from Tornado Terry.

Its a true 4 way stick and man its been crazy good for the PacMan games,no more dieing because my stock X Arcade sticks had a mind of their own when playing the games. Going to order another soon for the other stick I want to replace in the tank stick. The only thing is I wish it had a shorter throw on the stick but still the stick is damn amazing,feels good to play pacman like it was meant to be played again. No more blaming the sticks when I die. :P

Also bought another stick,this time from Ebay. A sellers been selling these beautiful 4/8way arcade sticks. Awhile back he stopped selling them but he's returned now with a new batch so I ordered this one last night.

Should be arriving fro0m the UK just before Christmas. :thumbsup:

post-42864-0-20356600-1481241958_thumb.jpg

post-42864-0-43209000-1481242297_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well there is still one more chance at thinkgeek. But if it doesn't work I give up. And in the mean time nothing unless I find a good price on a QJ game action replay. Just missed on on ebay cheap. And I also got JBL Everest 700 phones on thanksgiving day late night (bestbuy was open till 1am). They were on sale for 100 normally 200.

Edited by 0078265317

Bought a SSD for my wife's laptop. It was on sale for a few dollars less than the NES Classic would have cost. It arrived in 2 days, took 30 minutes to install, and another 4 hours to get the OS, software, and data fully restored. I also installed a NES emulator and the complete NES game library for her.

• Like 2

Nothing yet! But there's still time! I've been hungrily eyeing one of the new game systems. Problem is, there are already rumors that new PS4 games don't work that well unless you're running them on a PS4 Pro, which is too expensive. Besides, I don't dig this half-upgrade crap the game companies are trying to do. Come on guys, give us five years before you push out new hardware! That was always the way things worked before.

• Like 2