IGNORED

Diamond GOS 3.0

walter_J64bit

post-37655-0-91472800-1481417971_thumb.jpg

So I was one of the six?

I'm not sure how much changed between 2.0 and 3.0. I know two functions were added, FILESELECT(56) and MESSAGEBOX(57). IF a program calls these functions then it will not work in 2.0. I'm trying to remember how stable the cartridge FILESELECT routine was but 25 years is a long time to remember such details.

• Like 5

attachicon.gifIMG_1676.JPG

So I was one of the six?

I'm not sure how much changed between 2.0 and 3.0. I know two functions were added, FILESELECT(56) and MESSAGEBOX(57). IF a program calls these functions then it will not work in 2.0. I'm trying to remember how stable the cartridge FILESELECT routine was but 25 years is a long time to remember such details.

Nice!

Supposedly the changes were significant enough -- based on one opinion. :)

If you have the means to dump that, please do.

Edited by MrFish

So I was one of the six?

Wow, nice to see someone with the original cart. Anyway you can dump the chip?

• Like 1

So I was one of the six?

That was a total guess, but Alan said he sold very few of the 3.0 upgrades. The upgrade was more about stability I think, though I think it also can use XE extended memory in some way, IIRC, among other things. I think better compatibility with SpartaDOS, maybe even X. But I think all of that was revealed in some release notes, or flier, not it the actual manual, but I will look...I just checked, yes, it talks about the use of extended memory in the configuration section of the Appendices on page 9 of the original manual. And plenty of references to SpartaDOS, but not specifically X.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

I have not dumped a 64K cart and would need to find a little more info. Any suggestions on how and what software to use. (or is there someone close to Buffalo, NY that can do it?)

The Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer Kit will dump anything (and program Maxflash carts): Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer Kit

I had one before but needed to sell it. They work great and simple to use.

Edited by MrFish

I have not dumped a 64K cart and would need to find a little more info. Any suggestions on how and what software to use. (or is there someone close to Buffalo, NY that can do it?)

If you can't get it dumped, I have the equipment and am pretty close to NY here in West Virginia.

I have helped user Zap! before if you want a reference and he was in NY. Took 2 days for shipping for his ultrasatan and we didn't have any problems.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer Kit will dump anything (and program Maxflash carts): Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer Kit

I had one before but needed to sell it. They work great and simple to use.

I just finished placing the order. I will dump Diamond 3.0 soon after it is received. Once it is verified to be operational I will post.

• Like 9

I believe the GOS cart is a 64KB banked ROM, so no hope of placing it on U1MB/Incognito, I'm afraid. The only hope would be to recompile it with the banking code rewritten to use the U1MB scheme, but even then it would be impossible to use Diamond alongside the built-in SpartaDOS X (and Diamond needs DOS to be useful, since it has no filesystem drivers of its own) since U1MB has no "external" cart banking register. It could probably be coaxed into booting with DOS 2.5, MyDOS or SD 3.x.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Maxflash kit and have dumped my Diamond GOS 3.0 cartridge. I would like to varifie that the file is going to work before I upload it. (not much value in passing along a useless dump)

Is there anyone that was going to burn a chip and upgrade their cartridge. (Is it really going to be that simple?)

Haha... I guess it is.

I need to hear back from Pack007 first. It's his baby. I'm curious to hear the answers to some questions too.

I gotta be honest; I frankly don't like the color change with the yellow. But that's a small issue and easy enough to fix.

Edited by MrFish