IGNORED

Does anyone collect flashbacks?

Anyone collect Flashbacks? Or do you scrap the previous model when the new model comes out? I figure probably all the old models get scrapped by most people cause they usually have less games. I figure some of them have original games tho, so maybe some people keep them. I don't think it says the flashback number on them so how do you keep track of which one is which if you keep multiple versions?

My Atari Flashback 5 says "Atari Flashback 5 classic game console" in white paint on the front panel by the controller ports. There's no mistaking it for anything else.

I have a 2 and a 2+ in the basement someplace. I'm not sure, but I think they're labeled, too.

I should drop everything and play it for a while. :-)

• Like 1

I casually collect plug and plays, including the Flashbacks. It's casual because I don't buy everything that comes down the pipe, just what looks like fun to me and what I'm actually going to play. So far that includes Atari paddle, Atari Flashback, ColecoVision Flashback, INTV Flashback, Namco, Taito, Capcom, Konami, some NES clones, and some stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

I was really interested in the RetroBit Generations until the reviews came in. One day I will probably pick up a NES Classic but only if it is easy to obtain and affordable.

I would love to see good quality Sega plug and plays, both for the Genesis and SMS / Game Gear.

I had the 2 years ago, the one model that was hackable with parts to run real carts since it wasn't a ghetto box but it's long gone. I've also owned the original Genesis handheld model that introduced the SD card, and at the flea market less than 6mo ago I got the 2015 model that featured MK1-3 on it. Audio is still off key, but for what it is is plays pretty nicely.

I also have their very solid closed Master System/Gear Gear unit which is shockingly good (I have a GG, have had SMS twice, it's nice.)

I got word next years Flashback for Genesis (both style) will scrap the broken GOAC setup for an emulation box like Coleco/Int/Atari uses. All the things that piss people off with ratty audio, sketchy gfx fails (like Contra being unplayable as stage1 BG won't scroll) and other oddities are a thing of the past. I'll buy that, no questions asked on that one.

I'm ordering the Atari one here in a moment (handheld) as it's 29.99 today with a 24hr free shipping window at Toys R Us's site (and if lucky in store too or order online to pick up in store.)

Truth is I casually do enjoy snapping up TV games units, but I do replace similar/like for like models if they improve. I've gone through most of the Namco devices and settled on the last one that looks like Pac-Man himself as it has the most games, most accurate, and saves high scores. I also have had both versions of Golden Tee Golf, but the 2nd one added score saving, 3 courses instead of 1, and 4 players as well as other little refinements. I get what I'll use, not just get it to have it. I'll get that NES Classic Edition for me and my 5 year old daughter when it's down to $60 not the scalper douche price. Was going to get retrobit too, but it turned out to be a broken horribly setup hot mess I wouldn't take money to suffer playing with.

For those of you who collect these things from AtGames, you'll have your hands full in 2017. We're talking at least 7 traditional hardware SKUs, though there will be some redundancy there. We're also considering some other hardware-based products that don't use the traditional plug and play format.

And yes, Tanooki, your rumor source is mostly true in that most of the hardware products will be moving to new hardware platforms that will no longer have the legacy issues (although, as I stated elsewhere, new issues may be introduced, but certainly nothing related to AV), but it's not quite as straightforward as that. In any case, there will be significant feature boosts, both in terms of hardware and software performance, that I think will make everyone happy. I think the only potential disappointment for some fans is that we're not going to add a cartridge or SD card slot to the Flashback 8 series, although that will see a big boost in game count, among other extremely enticing features.

• Like 4

Got to ask as I'm curious, with that flashback (and system) console version has there been a consideration of placing the SD card slot on that too? I know there was a copier cart type option with the SD card slot for sale from the site, but not at retail for the Genesis. I'd think those adverse to the handheld side of things may appreciate it. I get corners do get cut to save money. The earliest Genesis that had the SD card slot was maybe 10 years ago now? I had that one, and back then the TV cable and the power plug (along with the still in there USB cable) was included.

Not sure you can say so or not, but it would be nice if they did another iteration of that fantastic GG/SMS handheld (I have it) as it has great audio and visuals on it unlike the Genesis line. I'd totally dump it for a new one if it had the SD card slot added as the SMS/GG has some really slick games.

Edited by Tanooki

Got to ask as I'm curious, with that flashback (and system) console version has there been a consideration of placing the SD card slot on that too? I know there was a copier cart type option with the SD card slot for sale from the site, but not at retail for the Genesis. I'd think those adverse to the handheld side of things may appreciate it. I get corners do get cut to save money. The earliest Genesis that had the SD card slot was maybe 10 years ago now? I had that one, and back then the TV cable and the power plug (along with the still in there USB cable) was included.

Not sure you can say so or not, but it would be nice if they did another iteration of that fantastic GG/SMS handheld (I have it) as it has great audio and visuals on it unlike the Genesis line. I'd totally dump it for a new one if it had the SD card slot added as the SMS/GG has some really slick games.

No on SD slots for the consoles I'm afraid.

The cartridge you're referencing is just an SD flash cart, somewhat similar to an EverDrive (although much simpler in implementation).

There are no plans now or in the foreseeable future for another SMS/GG implementation. If anything, we'll include some of those games on the main Genesis products, but it doesn't look like that will happen in 2017.

I can understand that thanks. I'm just glad there's someone here who can answer such questions. I'm one who is a bit more tolerable of the poor audio pitch in some of the Genesis games as the portability makes it something nicer to tote around, even if it is mostly to the couch than dealing with the Nomad of all things. My time and $ are limited so while I'm pulling away from the SMS/GG, I'm going to keep that handheld and it was a hope another version would eventually happen with an SD card slot as I know at the least I'm going to miss having Aerial Assault and a few others around.

The ability to emulate the classic arcade games has been around since the turn of the century, and the ability to do so on low power devices at least 5 years. So how about a portable (or console) that features the exact arcade hits? Maybe something like 5 or 10 games since they're more valuable and of a higher fidelity.

I can understand that thanks. I'm just glad there's someone here who can answer such questions. I'm one who is a bit more tolerable of the poor audio pitch in some of the Genesis games as the portability makes it something nicer to tote around, even if it is mostly to the couch than dealing with the Nomad of all things. My time and $ are limited so while I'm pulling away from the SMS/GG, I'm going to keep that handheld and it was a hope another version would eventually happen with an SD card slot as I know at the least I'm going to miss having Aerial Assault and a few others around.

Noted. In any case, audio and other issues should be well behind us in 2017, along with some other much needed improvements and special features.

I had the Atari Flashback(s) 1-5. They stayed in the boxes, so it was easy to tell them apart. Eventually I sold off the 3-5, but I look forward to 2017 (if there's 7800 support, I can toss the FB1).

No 7800 support, but I think you'll be pleased with the improvements and line-up coming in 2017.

The ability to emulate the classic arcade games has been around since the turn of the century, and the ability to do so on low power devices at least 5 years. So how about a portable (or console) that features the exact arcade hits? Maybe something like 5 or 10 games since they're more valuable and of a higher fidelity.

Something along those lines (although not exactly like that) may indeed be in the pipeline. Stay tuned.

• Like 2

I dont know if it would be possible due to costs but I think plug-n-play units which featured the different control schemes for the arcade games would be pretty cool. For example, a trackball plug and play that included the likes a Centipede, Millipede, Major Havoc, Quantun, Crysta Castles, etc. and another with a spinner control for Breakout, Super Breakout, Tempest, driving games, etc.

I dont know if it would be possible due to costs but I think plug-n-play units which featured the different control schemes for the arcade games would be pretty cool. For example, a trackball plug and play that included the likes a Centipede, Millipede, Major Havoc, Quantun, Crysta Castles, etc. and another with a spinner control for Breakout, Super Breakout, Tempest, driving games, etc.

That's always tempting and something we've discussed internally before. It would be interesting to see if something like that could sell in similar numbers to the more traditional form factors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone collect Flashbacks? Or do you scrap the previous model when the new model comes out? I figure probably all the old models get scrapped by most people cause they usually have less games. I figure some of them have original games tho, so maybe some people keep them. I don't think it says the flashback number on them so how do you keep track of which one is which if you keep multiple versions?

Hmmm... define collect? :D

I keep most all models available just because as soon as pull one from the cabinet, it has the ONE game I want to play it seems.

I would like to believe that by purchasing each of these units, as poor as they are, the message sent will be that more companies should be making these. I would also like to believe that those in a position to produce them would also consider that the units MIGHT sell more if they were of better quality in all areas.

With that said, I believe that Nintendo did in fact see the light... and that the dozens of purchases of retro game systems I have made over the last decade helped to raise the bar, and not to cause other companies to react with a "make more low quality Retro systems" way of thinking.

I will happily buy a Nintendo Classic Mini as well when it comes down to retail price.

th_12-28-2016_Flashbacks_zps7pxhn5ga.jpg

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, hard to know where to post this question, but it straddles a couple flashback systems, so here goes:

I just purchased both an Intellivision and a Colecovision flashback in a single auction on shopgoodwill.com, which came in pretty cheap, probably because they are missing their power adaptors. That said, does anyone have the spec of the power adaptors that atgames uses? I figure I can use one of those battery eliminator doohickeys, but I don't know if the spec will be printed on the back of the console case... maybe one of you guys can look at your power adapter and let me know what the actual wall wart says?

Thanks so much!

Know you only need one, they use the same style adapter.

From https://archive.org/stream/atgames-intellivision-flashback/atgames-intellivision-flashback_djvu.txt

INPUT: 1 00V -240V AC/50HZ -60HZ

OUTPUT: 5V DC/500mA

PLUG: --(.+

NOTE: Must use the AC adapter included as the power supply to the

console. Do not connect any AC adapter other than the above specifica-

tions to the power input port. The AC adapter is not a toy.

• Like 1

Know you only need one, they use the same style adapter.

From https://archive.org/stream/atgames-intellivision-flashback/atgames-intellivision-flashback_djvu.txt

INPUT: 1 00V -240V AC/50HZ -60HZ

OUTPUT: 5V DC/500mA

PLUG: --(.+

NOTE: Must use the AC adapter included as the power supply to the

console. Do not connect any AC adapter other than the above specifica-

tions to the power input port. The AC adapter is not a toy.

Thanks Flojomojo, you rock!

• 1 month later...

I had the Atari Flashback(s) 1-5. They stayed in the boxes, so it was easy to tell them apart. Eventually I sold off the 3-5, but I look forward to 2017 (if there's 7800 support, I can toss the FB1).

1-2 have the most significance to me. 2 is so cool with what you can do with it, and it's authenticity. Don't toss 1! ;)

• 5 months later...

For those of you who collect these things from AtGames, you'll have your hands full in 2017. We're talking at least 7 traditional hardware SKUs, though there will be some redundancy there. We're also considering some other hardware-based products that don't use the traditional plug and play format.

And yes, Tanooki, your rumor source is mostly true in that most of the hardware products will be moving to new hardware platforms that will no longer have the legacy issues (although, as I stated elsewhere, new issues may be introduced, but certainly nothing related to AV), but it's not quite as straightforward as that. In any case, there will be significant feature boosts, both in terms of hardware and software performance, that I think will make everyone happy. I think the only potential disappointment for some fans is that we're not going to add a cartridge or SD card slot to the Flashback 8 series, although that will see a big boost in game count, among other extremely enticing features.

My Flashback 8 Gold is on reserve, and I cannot wait to pick it up at Gamestop on Sept 22nd.

• 3 weeks later...

These systems are far harder to find at retail in Canada than in the United States. That said, I have the Flashback 2 (or the 2+) that I found at a thrift shop last year and the Colecovision version that I purchased new in box.

I also have the old Atari joystick PNP system (still sealed in box!) that I bought in Maine, and a handful of other, older systems (Activision, Namco, some Famiclones) purchased at flea markets and thrift shops.

I cannot say that I would never purchase another Flashback system, but it is very unlikely that one will make it to a Canadian retail store at a price I am willing to pay.

I cannot say I officially collect Flashbacks. THIS is my only Atari Flashback and really it is the only one I want, I lost interest in later models mostly as I prefer using one of many various original 2600 consoles and compatibles. I DO have both the Colecovision and Intellivision Flashbacks but was very disappointed when they released with controllers NOT backwards compatible with the original consoles out of the box. I MIGHT consider future releases IF they correct the controller compatibility as well as improve emulation but more likely will just stick with original consoles and Flashcarts.

post-10336-0-97134200-1505855474.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer