IGNORED

[IntyBASIC] - Handling an array of strings

GroovyBee

P.S. Constants.bas has a nice macro that does the calculations automatically:

#where = screenadrs(10,11)

The first number is the column and the second number is the row..

I was just about to point this out. Perhaps it'll be useful if you update your example to take full advantage of the constants and macros in Constants.bas. That way, people can think at a higher cognitive level when trying to understand the example, and also to illustrate how to use those constructs.

Remember, in the SDK, we're sort of pushing bossing forcing beating-over-the-head encouraging people to use Constants.bas as their basic toolkit in all their programs. :)

-dZ.

I was just about to point this out. Perhaps it'll be useful if you update your example to take full advantage of the constants and macros in Constants.bas. That way, people can think at a higher cognitive level when trying to understand the example, and also to illustrate how to use those constructs.

Remember, in the SDK, we're sort of pushing bossing forcing beating-over-the-head encouraging people to use Constants.bas as their basic toolkit in all their programs. :)

-dZ.

You have a good point, but sometimes I think it is better to get an example program done quickly (to answer someone's question), rather than wait until the example code is "perfect".

In this case, I didn't know if an IntyBasic routine could scroll half the screen fast enough to beat the STIC chip's display update. I thought maybe an assembly language routine would be necessary. So after I did a quick test and found that it could work. I wanted to get that information out.

So as a result, I now find myself answering questions about non-obvious parts of my code...

For myself, it is faster to type (BACKTAB_ADDR + 20 * 3 + 5) than to lookup the screenadrs macro and check whether the row or column comes first.

I think that at some point, IntyBasic programmers have to "GROK" that the screen is a 20 column wide by 12 rows high block of continuous memory, and that writing past the end of the screen can crash the system. Otherwise, they are not going to have much success printing on the Intellivision...

Catsfolly

You have a good point, but sometimes I think it is better to get an example program done quickly (to answer someone's question), rather than wait until the example code is "perfect".

In this case, I didn't know if an IntyBasic routine could scroll half the screen fast enough to beat the STIC chip's display update. I thought maybe an assembly language routine would be necessary. So after I did a quick test and found that it could work. I wanted to get that information out.

So as a result, I now find myself answering questions about non-obvious parts of my code...

For myself, it is faster to type (BACKTAB_ADDR + 20 * 3 + 5) than to lookup the screenadrs macro and check whether the row or column comes first.

I think that at some point, IntyBasic programmers have to "GROK" that the screen is a 20 column wide by 12 rows high block of continuous memory, and that writing past the end of the screen can crash the system. Otherwise, they are not going to have much success printing on the Intellivision...

Catsfolly

So... You won't be updating it then? :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/15/2016 at 1:58 PM, GroovyBee said:

Solved the problem just using IntyBASIC commands :-

ArrayOfStrings.bas 3.26 kB · 49 downloads

I made a simple change to make "HELLO WORLD" "Hello World" (using lower case) and got garbled output. I am unable to see why that is happening. Could you help me get a clue?

Thanks!