IGNORED

My nanoPEB questions.

Sinphaltimus

Format it with FAT under windows, once, or if in doubt (contents will be lost, of course)

Then start TI99DIR and say "Initialize CF" from the menu.

From this point on, ignore all windows-wishes like format a.s.o. ;)

Then you should be able to copy DSKs/Volumes with the DSK2PC-Tool.

(ie the CFMGR to vol.1)

Back to the TI, this should be mounted under TI-Basic first

/ie CALL MOUNT(1,1)

Then you can start the CFMGR (normally on Vol.1) via the E/A-Option

"braindead easy", nice saying :) :)

I'm attempting to do this with a secondary CF card and I do not have the option to initial this one. I am ruinning TI99DIR as Administrator but still no go - it works fine via windows if i format it as FAT or FAT32 but i still don't get the option to initialize (is greyed out).

If you want to try it with TImageTool (in fact, I added these features so that people can make use of them)

1. Get dd for Windows, unpack it at some suitable location (maybe c:\dd): http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip

2. Get the latest TIMT

3. Utility » Read Compact Flash Card (even when it is not formatted); will create an image file of the size of the CF

4. Utility » Format CF; will only format the image file

You can now open the CF image, copy files on its volumes.

n. Utility » Write Compact Flash Card; will write the image file back on the CF card

• Like 2

If you want to try it with TImageTool (in fact, I added these features so that people can make use of them)

1. Get dd for Windows, unpack it at some suitable location (maybe c:\dd): http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip

2. Get the latest TIMT

3. Utility » Read Compact Flash Card (even when it is not formatted); will create an image file of the size of the CF

4. Utility » Format CF; will only format the image file

You can now open the CF image, copy files on its volumes.

n. Utility » Write Compact Flash Card; will write the image file back on the CF card

Nice, I'll run through this tonight when I get home from work.

Please report whether it is working as described. You cannot do any harm to your drives before you reach item "n." from above. At that point you should make sure that the drive letter does not belong to any of your hard disks; this is the only caveat. Observe what happens when you insert the CF card to find out the drive. The image file produced at point "3." should roughly match the size of the CF card, then you're safe.

Well, I was able to work on my cf card from a Windows 7 machine without issue. Seems Windows 10 is flaky in that area I suppose. Or too secure.

If I can make a backup of my cf card that I can restore using your provided info, I will back it up and try your path. Truth be told, I was trying to get my cf card prepped for an Amiga, when all else failed I turned to ti99dir to see what would happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Having an issue. My CF card works and nano.

This wasn't an issue last week or so when I was playing around but it is now.

TI99DIR does not see the CF card to read the contents. I want to load another dsk file on to it.

It works on my console (DSK1, 2 and3) just fine. I can run cf72dsk on TI and see the contents of volumes just fine.

But on the PC when I plug it in, windows gives no such format warning.

In disk manager the cf card comes up as needing to be initialized - no drive letter 256MB RAW.

I use the CF card reader I have to work on Amiga CF cards just fine so I think the reader is OK.

Any suggestions? And no, there's nothing on the CF card I am afraid of losing if I have to wipe and ster again. But I never set one up for the nanop from scratch.

Having an issue. My CF card works and nano.

This wasn't an issue last week or so when I was playing around but it is now.

TI99DIR does not see the CF card to read the contents. I want to load another dsk file on to it.

It works on my console (DSK1, 2 and3) just fine. I can run cf72dsk on TI and see the contents of volumes just fine.

But on the PC when I plug it in, windows gives no such format warning.

In disk manager the cf card comes up as needing to be initialized - no drive letter 256MB RAW.

I use the CF card reader I have to work on Amiga CF cards just fine so I think the reader is OK.

Any suggestions? And no, there's nothing on the CF card I am afraid of losing if I have to wipe and ster again. But I never set one up for the nanop from scratch.

Windows will give the format issue because the CF card formatting is different than what Windows will recognize.

I use the DSK2CF executable in windows to write disk images to the CF card partitions. You need to make sure you run it 'As Administrator'.

Is there any other tool on windows that will "index" the slots for dsk files (volume slots) so I know how the CF is setup now?

EDIT: I don't understand why ti99dir just stopped working. It was so easy.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Is there any other tool on windows that will "index" the slots for dsk files (volume slots) so I know how the CF is setup now?

EDIT: I don't understand why ti99dir just stopped working. It was so easy.

I'd consider a card reader issue

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I solved the issue.

I needed to assign a drive letter to the raw partition.

When using my Amiga CF cards - in order to set them up properly, I had to remove the drive letter from my Amiga CF cards. Apparently windows remembers this setting for the CF card reader and not the CF cards individually.

Duly noted.

Won't soon forget that one.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 12/15/2016 at 2:01 AM, Schmitzi said:

Format it with FAT under windows, once, or if in doubt (contents will be lost, of course)

Then start TI99DIR and say "Initialize CF" from the menu.

From this point on, ignore all windows-wishes like format a.s.o. ;)

Then you should be able to copy DSKs/Volumes with the DSK2PC-Tool.

(ie the CFMGR to vol.1)

Back to the TI, this should be mounted under TI-Basic first

/ie CALL MOUNT(1,1)

Then you can start the CFMGR (normally on Vol.1) via the E/A-Option

"braindead easy", nice saying :) :)

What if the "Initialize CF" is grayed out? Can't select it?

Double check that a proper partition table exists, and all that jazz?

Under windows, the best tool is the command-line program diskpart.  You have better control over a volume with diskpart than with the GUI disk manager baked into the management console. Even better control can be had with linux, but that's not helpful to you.

I would ensure that an MSDOS style partition table exists, and that it is partitioned with a FAT partition as stated previously, then revisit the missing "Initialize CF" issue.