IGNORED

Arcade ports?

Jim Pez

I did some research and came up with a list of every arcade port. is this list correct ? am I missing anything?

Antarctic Adventure
Artillery Duel
Boulder Dash
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
Bump 'n' Jump
BurgerTime
Carnival
Centipede
Congo Bongo
Cosmic Avenger
Defender
Destructor
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Frenzy
Frogger
Front Line
Galaxian
Gorf
Gyruss
Jungle Hunt
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do!
Mr. Do!'s Castle
Omega Race
Pepper II
Popeye
Q*bert
Q*bert's Qubes
Roc 'N Rope
Root Beer Tapper
Slither
Space Fury
Space Panic
Spy Hunter
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
Star Wars: The Arcade Game
SubRoc
Super Cobra
Time Pilot
Turbo
Tutankham
Up'n Down
Venture
Victory
Wing War
Zaxxon

Pac-Man? Or maybe you are only talking about games produced in the 80's.

Pac-Man Collection was/is awesome, and it is code perfect. I can even go through Blinky on the first stage just like the arcade pattern. It was made by Opcode.

If you are counting games made after the 80's by very talented programmers, I have a whole list of those. They are all incredible (often arcade perfect) ports!

Edit: There was also an unreleased prototype of Pac-Man for coleovision made by Atarisoft. In the 1980's.

Here's a video

And here is Opcode Pac-Man Collection for colecovision. It is amazing! It includes Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Man Plus.

Edited by KAZ

Pac-Man? Or maybe you are only talking about games produced in the 80's.

Pac-Man Collection was/is awesome, and it is code perfect. I can even go through Blinky on the first stage just like the arcade pattern. It was made by Opcode.

If you are counting games made after the 80's by very talented programmers, I have a whole list of those. They are all incredible (often arcade perfect) ports!

Edit: There was also an unreleased prototype of Pac-Man for coleovision made by Atarisoft. In the 1980's.

Here's a video

And here is Opcode Pac-Man Collection for colecovision. It is amazing! It includes Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Man Plus.

I love these two... Ed's port is incredible ...

Just looking over at my shelf:

Moon Patrol

Kung fu Master

Mappy

Rally-X

Galaxian

Elevator Action

Digger

Mario Bros

Galaga

Bagman

Joust

Zaxxon

Dragon's Lair (just slightly less than laser disk quality) :P

Pac-Man

Bosconian (sold at Atari Age)

And some that are coming soon :

dk arcade (omg omg)

ladybug arcade

gradius (sold at Atari Age)

And another pac-man coming, which will take better advantage of the super game module.

I know there are quite a few more. Pixelboy on this thread might be able to name quite a few more arcade ports. And there's many many more games that are not arcade ports.

Edited by KAZ

in homebrews for colecovision you have that exists also in Arcade :

Bomb Jack

Pang / Buster Bros

Lock'n Chase

Ozma war

Chack'n Pop

Elevator Action

Heli Fire

Puzzli

Lode Runner

Pooyan

Zippy Race

Track 'n Field

Circus Charlie

Star Force

Bank Panic

Konami Ping Pong

Wonder Boy

Twin Bee

Mappy

RallyX

Operation Wolf

Zaxxon Super Game

Buck Roger Super Game

Dragon's Lair

yie are kungfu

Space Invaders

Pacman

Pitfall 2 Arcade

Mon patrol

Kung fu master

Joust

Mario Bros

Tank Battalion

Galaga

Galaxians

Bagman

And i forgot surely some...

Edited by youki

Sky Jaguar and The Goonies aren't arcade games.

Actually, they both are.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9569

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10374

The Goonies 1 was only released in the arcades in the US and in the home we got the slightly upgraded sequel of The Goonies 2 for the NES.

Sort of off-topic for this thread, I guess, but I saw KAZ's post and was reminded about the forthcoming Donkey Kong Arcade cartridge and it got me to thinking a bit. Now, I do not have the ColecoVision Super Module... I kinda want one, but that is another topic for another day. I have never purchased any homebrew; and with respect to arcade versions, in this day and age, I am sort of nonplussed by the notion of "arcade perfect" homebrew ports. I mean, I remember, as many of you do I am sure, feeling that arcade perfection was the pinnacle of imagination/achievement with respect to home system ports. It was the unachievable dream.

But today, in an age of MAME, I can play the arcade games themselves, basically perfectly rendered, without worrying about a "port." Thus, I am less intrigued by the notion of getting "arcade perfect" versions of games for the ColecoVision. I actually remember feeling a certain amount of disappointment when I saw how close the Mario Bros. port to the ColecoVision wound up being to the arcade version... what I was hoping for was a "ColecoVision" version of Mario Bros., that would be in keeping with the style of the other Mario-based Nintendo CV releases, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior.

Does this make sense to anyone else or am I just a lone voice in the wilderness here?

• Like 2

Personally, I understand what you are saying. You can play arcade perfect games on MAME so why play them on ColecoVision?

But that's the whole point!!! MAME isn't your ColecoVision. For me it's kind of thrilling to be able to play them on the CV even if they look and/or act the same as on another machine.

Sort of off-topic for this thread, I guess, but I saw KAZ's post and was reminded about the forthcoming Donkey Kong Arcade cartridge and it got me to thinking a bit. Now, I do not have the ColecoVision Super Module... I kinda want one, but that is another topic for another day. I have never purchased any homebrew; and with respect to arcade versions, in this day and age, I am sort of nonplussed by the notion of "arcade perfect" homebrew ports. I mean, I remember, as many of you do I am sure, feeling that arcade perfection was the pinnacle of imagination/achievement with respect to home system ports. It was the unachievable dream.

But today, in an age of MAME, I can play the arcade games themselves, basically perfectly rendered, without worrying about a "port." Thus, I am less intrigued by the notion of getting "arcade perfect" versions of games for the ColecoVision. I actually remember feeling a certain amount of disappointment when I saw how close the Mario Bros. port to the ColecoVision wound up being to the arcade version... what I was hoping for was a "ColecoVision" version of Mario Bros., that would be in keeping with the style of the other Mario-based Nintendo CV releases, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior.

Does this make sense to anyone else or am I just a lone voice in the wilderness here?

• Like 1

I've been super impressed with many of the homebrew arcade ports. Bostonian, Tank Battalion, Watp & Warp, Side Trac, Bag Man, Astro Invader, Heli-Fire, Ozma Wars, and Spectar to name just a few are awesome. For me I know Ican play arcade games perfectly via mame, but I love to see what people do within the hardware constraints of the Colecovision.

• Like 1

I have a Mame arcade machine at home, and it's true that some games are way better than on the Colecovision (Time Pilot, Popeye, Donkey Kong jr., etc). But, I think the following are actually much better on the Colecovision:

Gorf

Frenzy

Carnival

Omega Race

Pepper II

Lady Bug

Especially Gorf and Frenzy--they both look and play better and are more fun. Even with the missing level, Gorf on the Colecovision is the better game compared with the arcade. I also think that Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 is so much better than the arcade version ;)

• Like 1

I have a Mame arcade machine at home, and it's true that some games are way better than on the Colecovision (Time Pilot, Popeye, Donkey Kong jr., etc). But, I think the following are actually much better on the Colecovision:

Gorf

Frenzy

Carnival

Omega Race

Pepper II

Lady Bug

Especially Gorf and Frenzy--they both look and play better and are more fun. Even with the missing level, Gorf on the Colecovision is the better game compared with the arcade. I also think that Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 is so much better than the arcade version ;)

Gotta disagree with Gorf and Omega Race. Arcade Gorf is better in every respect. Arcade Omega Race is better because of the spinner and button controls - plus it looks awesome. My favorite home version of Omega Race is on the C64.

Two that I think can be added to the list: Mouse Trap and Space Panic. These two games just look more polished on the ColecoVision compared to the arcade.

• Like 3

I feel the same way. It's 2016 not 1982 and I can't get excited over an arcade port, even a well done one. "That's neat" is my reaction to seeing a new CV arcade port, but I doubt I would buy it. I'd rather CV programmers/homebrewers focused their energy on CV originals/exclusives. That's 100x more interesting to me. I know it's their time/energy and I can't make them do what I want and others seem to still get all worked up over arcade ports over originals. The recent 'TRON light cycles' adaptation is an excellent example which satisfies both fans of the arcade original, which was very limited gameplay/replay-wise, and an expanded home version with new features and levels.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. It's 2016 not 1982 and I can't get excited over an arcade port, even a well done one.

I struggle with this myself. Most of the games I play on classic consoles and computers are arcade translations and there's only a minority where I would say that the translation is better than the arcade game. I haven't gotten the courage though to rid of my collection and just get a decent laptop and arcade stick to get my gaming fix and stop spending money on home brew arcade translations.

Actually, they both are.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9569

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10374

The Goonies 1 was only released in the arcades in the US and in the home we got the slightly upgraded sequel of The Goonies 2 for the NES.

I don't consider a NES game in an arcade cabinet to be a true arcade game. And no, there is no evidence Sky Jaguar was ever released as an arcade game.That is a rumor...