IGNORED

yars return what were they thinking

There are two versions of Yars Return: the first one was released with the Flashback II console, and it had many problems including heavy flicker and unstable picture on many TVs. A fixed version was made by Dennis Debro (I don't know if he was able to fix the original code or just rewrote the game from scratch) and was included in the Flashback II+ and subsequent releases.
See this post:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156823-flashback-2-for-preorder-on-ataricom-get-a-free-t-shirt/?do=findComment&comment=1924667

Here's a video of the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gdX4hMTvNI&t=3m37s
Here the fixed one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnuhIbPDxc

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

Hi there,

Yes, I fixed the original Yar's Return to remove the bugs.

Two unfortunates here...

(1) this version was really never to reach production. I replaced the Easter Egg while testing and it was only for the testers. I regret this ever made it out because it removed Howard Scott Warshaw's signature. I let him know as soon as it found out it was released. The great guy he is he said he understood but I feel awful for this and especially since it is still being produced.

(2) This version still has a bug. One of the drones can't harm or kill you. This was corrected but unfortunately never made it to release. I guess no one noticed.

I would like to get the fixed 2.2 version to Atari / AtGames if they continue to produce these.

I also have a PAL50 version but don't know if it's needed for the Flashbacks.

• Like 5

Hi Ron,

This is all new to me. Do we know who coded the 1st version of Yars Return?

From my notes I have Raymond Yeung.

Arcade Pong, Asteroids Deluxe, Caverns of Mars, Lunar Lander, Space Duel, and Yar's Return were done by a group from China. Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, and Yar's Return were hacks of the originals. I'm not firm on who coded Adventure II.

I remember them reaching out to me during development asking about Climber 5. They didn't have the original source at the time and ran it through a disassembler. The illegal opcodes I used was throwing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I would like to get the fixed 2.2 version to Atari / AtGames if they continue to produce these.

Have you talked to BillLoguidice?

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2016 at 2:16 PM, DEBRO said:

Hi Ron,

From my notes I have Raymond Yeung.

Arcade Pong, Asteroids Deluxe, Caverns of Mars, Lunar Lander, Space Duel, and Yar's Return were done by a group from China. Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, and Yar's Return were hacks of the originals. I'm not firm on who coded Adventure II.

I remember them reaching out to me during development asking about Climber 5. They didn't have the original source at the time and ran it through a disassembler. The illegal opcodes I used was throwing them.

On 12/20/2016 at 3:45 PM, DEBRO said:

Hi there,

Two unfortunates here...

(1) this version was really never to reach production. I replaced the Easter Egg while testing and it was only for the testers. I regret this ever made it out because it removed Howard Scott Warshaw's signature. I let him know as soon as it found out it was released. The great guy he is he said he understood but I feel awful for this and especially since it is still being produced.

(2) This version still has a bug. One of the drones can't harm or kill you. This was corrected but unfortunately never made it to release. I guess no one noticed.

DEBRO, did v2.2 ever get released? If not, would you be interested in releasing it? Maybe at least as an IPS patch? Thanks!

• Like 1