IGNORED

HSC13 R21: SS Achilles and Seasonal Bonus!

therealbountybob

SS Achilles

a new one to me and the HSC, there is some info on atarimania. Better info on RedThunder's posts below #10 and #15 How to play on Post #21

Keyboard controls: S-Scanner when standing on computer (next to the shuttle a little below your start point) -show location of the fungus, M returns to game "Map", Space-Pause, Start to use the sealant gun?

ss_achilles.png

Download XEX from Fandal

Bonus Game: Snowplow

snowplow_2.gif

we've played all the Christmas games, so with all the snow about (in the USA at least - where's ours?) it's time to plough yes that's right plough :P:D;)

Our friend Muffy St. Bernard on atarimania said "Cute, relatively laid-back maze game with passable graphics and good controls, though the non-scrolling green cloud is annoying. It's actually sort of fun, especially if you enjoy plowing snow."

Download XEX from Fandal

Round NOW Ends 2nd JAN 10AM UK time

End of Season We'll make the next round the End of Season finale so please post your suggestions here and I'll start the poll next weekend... how about a theme round ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended until 2nd Jan 2017!
  • Like 1

This game looks interesting, but I have no idea what you're supposed to do. I can pick up items sometimes and then sometimes I can't. I did something to a door once (when they all turned purple)...but I have no idea what I did.

Anyone got any tips what exactly you're supposed to do?

I'm just taking a look at the game, once you collect a sealant gun (4th green item on status bar) you can press start and weld shut some of the doors - I guess to contain the orange fungus which you can find growing. You can hold in fire to move quickly. Not sure about all the other icons and things :-o c'mon HSCers lets figure this one out and then we can plough some snow ;)

[edit] Found some more SS Achilles Info here on atariage, I've updated the first post :)

• Like 1

This game looks interesting, but I have no idea what you're supposed to do. I can pick up items sometimes and then sometimes I can't. I did something to a door once (when they all turned purple)...but I have no idea what I did.

Anyone got any tips what exactly you're supposed to do?

I used to play this somewhat back in the early 80's, what I liked was how the corridors and rooms were filled up with fungus and breached doors etc. I was obviously easily pleased :)

Playing it again is great fun but has highlighted what it is really about.

It's a simple collection against the time of fungal growth taking over the ship. It has a few levels which only seem to differ by the amount of scavengers.

Once you have collected all the 20 relics, 40 batterie and integrity modules you cant seem to go any further sadly. It looks like the shuttle never leaves :(

This games idea would make a great modern remake. I Always liked the idea of sinking ship with the water level rising and you have to escape, going through flooded corridors welding up bulkbeads etc.... any programmers out there who fancy it :)

The controls are outlined on TTRB post above. If there is any other controls I dont of them, I have never seen the original instructions.

This is a good game IMO but playing again 30+ years later has shown that is does not quite finish or conclude which did'nt seem to faze me when I was 12 or 13 when I first played it.

Keep at it, good game. Im going to start playing it on the hardest level to see if anything changes.

post-48102-0-11498800-1482413414_thumb.jpg

SS Achilles

by David Muncer and Simon Goodwin

Beyond Software 1983

About:

Collect all the objects from the abandoned ship by returning all the objects to the shuttle and avoiding the growth and scavengers on-board as well.

Skill Levels:

Inept, Novice, Experienced, Advanced, Expert. (Identified by number on player sprite during game)

At higher skill levels there are more scavengers, less time, smaller time window to seal doors with sealant gun)

Keys:

Select = changes skill levels.

Start = starts game, during game operates sealant gun when the doors go purple.

S= Scanner (must be over scanner icon)

M= Back to game when in scanner mode

Space = pause

Hold Fire Button and Move = go faster, but uses power faster.

Objects:

There seems to be 60 objects, 20 relics, 20 integrity modules (increases your integrity) and 20 power packs (increase your power).

Timer:

Keeps counting down and returning to original count over and over. Don't know why ? How does the game end when you have collected everything? Does it have anything to do with the timer? Is there another keyboard command we don't know about ?

Scoring:

Seems to based on object count. 20 relics/ 40 integrity/power for the perfect score.

You get better medals on the higher skill levels.

Medals (Not Complete):

Commendation

Steel Meteor Medal

Steel Order of the Lunar Winds (8/9)

Bronze Dwarf Star Medal of Honour (14/17)

Bronze Order of the Lunar Winds

Bronze Solar Flare Cluster

Silver Order of the Lunar Winds

Silver Solar Flare Cluster

Silver Galactic Cross

Golden Star Nebula Band

Golden Solar Flare Cluster

Golden Galatic Cross (assume)

and many more I'm sure.

V1.2 30 Dec 2016

Medal order updates

Edited by RedThunder

End of Season We'll make the next round the End of Season finale so please post your suggestions here and I'll start the poll next weekend... how about a theme round ;)

Top down dungeon shooters.... Dark Chambers fro example..............Ummm and the other one ;-)

Was Elite ever done on XL? Who could get the highest score/credit over two weeks could be fun.

Demo from Ian Bells site...

http://www.elitehomepage.org/archive/a/c1061100.zip

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

First Tables

Difficult to know what to do so here's what we have so far... I've totalled relics and items but we'll use Rankings. We have some good info on the game now but we still need a breakdown of the status panel from left to right... over to you RedThunder ;)

SS Achilles

Inept

1st RedThunder - Silver Order of the Lunar Winds #53 12pts

2nd Dope - Silver Solar Flare Cluster #60 11pts
3rd therealbountybob - Commendation (?) #?? 10pts
Expert (bonus challenge)

1st RedThunder - Silver Solar Flare Cluster #33 1pt

Snow Plow

*Post how many lives you had left to break the ties - I noticed you seem to get 1 jump (press fire) which I'm guessing will let you pass a car or perhaps a giant snow flake thingy?
1st RedThunder (n) 4,810 2pts*
1st Dope (n) 4,810 2pts*
1st roadrunner (n) 4,810 2pts*
4th therealbountybob (p) 4,210 1pt

End of Season Poll Part 1 - OPEN

• Like 1

The Standings above are not quite right... I think.

I just played the game got 20/40 on Inept and was awarded the Silver Solar Flare Cluster. I reckon this is the best you can get on Inept unless the time has something to do with it.

So currently I think myself and Dope are equal.

post-48102-0-95254500-1482588888_thumb.jpg

I so reckon it goes Lunar Wind then Solar Flare

---

Then I thought I play through again in Inept and saved as I went along and then died each time deliberately to try and build up a medal list and relic/util ratio number. Please see below.

2/4 Commendation

5/6 Commendation

10/13 Bronze Meteor Ribbon

15/19 Bronze Order of the Lunar Winds

16/20 Bronze Solar Flare Cluster

19/26 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

20/29 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

20/31 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

20/35 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

20/39 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

20/40 Silver Solar Flare Cluster

And on another note the game is excellent playing on Expert, dont be afraid of the Expert tag. It makes the game very compelling and addictive IMO.

SS Achilles Remake would be nice....3D Doom engine in Occualus rift or something.........Mmmmm

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

OK I think I've "got it" and it's spreading like a space fungus :dunce:

you can hold one of each of the four items (bottom left)

collect and take the handbag (1st item) thingy (2nd item) or battery (3rd item) to the Shuttle and walk onto the pink loading area

the gun (4th item) use to seal in the orange fungus by pressing start and going over the doors near to it - you may need to get another gun - you can hold fire to run

the computer is shown left of the shuttle (there are others)

So the game is collect and ferry stuff about while keeping the fungus sealed in as much as you can

the Integrity depletes as you walk or perhaps to do with the fungus spreading?

taking stuff to the shuttle gives you more power and integrity

Screenshots show before and after going onto the shuttle...

post-19705-0-64570000-1482613150_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-07706100-1482613139_thumb.jpg

And a Merry Space Fungus Christmas to all HSCers ;-) :-o :D

• Like 1

the Integrity depletes as you walk or perhaps to do with the fungus spreading?

Your power is always depleting and when you move faster power loss is expedited.

Fungus and scavengers will crucify your Integrity and every bump into a wall will also decrease your integrity slightly.

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

If only we knew what the Timer has to do with the game.

Merry Christmas to you All.

This game is unravelling nicely - I'm now the wearer of the Bronze Meter Ribbon ! 11/27

How about when you get to the shuttle if you are in time it takes off? Does the game end when the time runs out?

Now where did I park me snow plow...

End of Season Poll Part 1 - OPEN

• Like 2