IGNORED

What HARDWARE ITEM (that does not yet exist) would you like to see in 2017?

Omega-TI

1. A flash/sd/cf type storage solution that I can use in conjunction with the PEB (without splitting the firehose connection).

A readily available, working, no-fuss IDE card.

A readily available, working, no-fuss ramdisk. I have a horizon ramdisk and find it immensely useful, but a modern version of it would be fantastic.

SAMS cards are available now (although I need to order some more boards, as the first run is pretty much sold out). I'm slowly sussing out the changes I need to make to extend it somewhat too, but no promises on whether or not I will be able to finish it as a working product. I know what I have to do now--I just have to figure out how to do it without breaking compatibility with existing boards.

I've been working on some 512K RAM Disks based on the Australian Quest (still doing some initial testing of the layout there, but they may show up sometime in 2017). I've also been working on cloning Myard floppy controllers (waiting on a good copy of the GAL coding, but the boards are otherwise ready), and a through hole version of the IDE is still somewhere on my back burner, moving forward as time allows. Lastly, I've been looking at a simple PEB speech card design I found a while back that I may modify and turn into something, just to get something like that back into production. . .so many projects, so little time. ;)

• Like 4

After some careful noodling today, I think I have found the answer I was looking for on my SAMS development. More to follow as I test out the idea, but it looks like it may be possible to extend the memory scheme to 4096 pages. . .with only a few added control chips. I may have to rethink my plan to do another run of the 1024K boards and implement my changed circuitry to do a true 4096K extension (1024 pages) as a short run of test boards--before I expand them to 16MB on a full-sized board, as there are almost no changes needed beyond the additional RAM chips once I get the 4M version working. . .and note: this whole thing will remain vapor-ware until I can work the bugs (if any) out of the design. That may take a while, as I haven't had a whole lot of hobby-time lately (family takes precedence at times), but I do have a way forward now (with a tip of the hat to Thierry's SAMS notes, which made the last bits of data I needed fall into place).

I'll probably do a quick-and-dirty PEB speech board over the holidays, as that one should be pretty straightforward--and I'll make sure it is set to decode the AMA, AMB, and AMC signals for possible Geneve compatibility as well. . .it looks like the end of the year is going to be a lot of fun for me after all. ;)

• Like 5

After careful consideration, I'd like to expand on my 'small footprint system' in 2017. When I finally get some time, I'm going to install the F18A and VGA to HDMI converter internally and hook up a reset switch to the points Chris showed us in his post a while back. All this will work quite nicely with the FlashROM 99 and Matt's 32K sidecar... but here is where the item that does not yet exist comes into play...

There are two possible item's I'd like to see that would plug in to Matt's 32K ...

The first, most important (I think) would be an SD card based storage system that emulates DSK1 and a hard drive.

Will it happen? Probably not due to complexity.

Second, as an alternative, I'd like to see a 100% HDX compatible RS-232 interface that plugs into the side of Matt's 32K expansion, EXCEPT with a twist... instead of the standard legacy 25 pin or even a 9 pin connector like the NanoPEB, I'd like it to be USB for 100% compatibility with new computers, that way only one small and neat cable would be necessary with no need for messy and bulky connectors and converters like I use on my big TI system. Will this one happen? Who knows, but as we've seen here in the past, pie-in-the-sky-dreams have come true on multiple occasions before.

- A Flashrom99-like cartridge with GROM emulation? (say 8x8k GRAM?).

The ULTIMATE would be what you mentioned... but also with connector to a controller on the side of Matt's 32K device that would also use the new "FR99GROM" as a DSKn or HD substitute as well. That would give us the awesome speed for cartridge format programs, but with the utility for the TI to actually save directly to the device as well. The combination would save us all some $ in the long run.

Sadly I have to admit, since the FR99 came out with it's super fast load time I've been spoiled. My big machine no longer seems as fun, all due to the extended wait time to load stuff off of DSK / HDX compared to the FR99.

The ULTIMATE?

Hehe, How about a TI-99/4a FPGA clone like the MIST for Amiga but one that includes all the traditional old school ports (side port, tape port, joystick port, cart port). A complete replacement with all new components, even if the TI's soul exists only in hardware emulation (no real or actual chips on the board). include all amenities of the modern computer (all ports, hdd, NIC, HDMI etc..). Possibly even built in to a PEB card like a Geneve. I'm so tempted to purchase an Armiga but it just falls short of the dream (no old school Amiga expansion ports).

Yes, in all fairness, an old school expansion port wouldn't be needed if all peripherals were emulated.

And yes at that point we're probably talking about a rPi LINUX w/ emulation.

But then it's already watered down. Real ports necessary. I want to be able to plug my original carts in to it.

Heck, if it hasd a "BIOS" type feature, you could turn on/off any emulated aspect to test/develop real world. Like turn off the internal emulated 32k so you can plug in M@'s 32k side cart for real.

The ultimate TI for all (enthusiasts, fans and developers)

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe a TI-99/4a on a PCI-e card for my PC. With a break out bux containing cartridge port, side port, cassette port and joystick port. Maybe even vga/hdmi out.

hmmm... And the PCIe act as a power supply? Or better, use a PCIe-x16, it speeds up the TI :-)

... And when you apply stripes on it (like some people doing this with their cars) it gets even more performance! :-D

Or maybe a TI-99/4a on a PCI-e card for my PC. With a break out bux containing cartridge port, side port, cassette port and joystick port. Maybe even vga/hdmi out.

This sounds like an interesting challenge. But would you agree with me that this is essentially as equal or as different to a "real iron" as a software emulator?

(Does not mean that you should not pursue it, it's just another way to keep the TI-99/4A spirit alive.)

This sounds like an interesting challenge. But would you agree with me that this is essentially as equal or as different to a "real iron" as a software emulator?

(Does not mean that you should not pursue it, it's just another way to keep the TI-99/4A spirit alive.)

My only argument would be not emulation in the sense that it would run native ti instructions and have a breakout box fir real connectivity to real carts, joysticks, side expansion, tape drives etc.. But a real ti cpu on the card. Ok, maybe emulation on steroids.

Perhaps more than three slotsunless, of course, power is drawn by all cartridges, selected or not. @Ksarul? @Tursi? @acadiel? @CC Clarke?

...lee

Or 3 slots but can be daisy chained to another unit (connector on the front edge). Especially if they're independently powered.

So 3 or 4 slots standard. Daisy chain capability. I know what your thinking, but a grom port extension cable would solve that in a jiffy.