Photo

Visual bB Title Kernel Editor Strangness

4 replies to this topic

#1 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 AM

So I have been tinkering with the title editor in Visual bB.  When I test out my code in the editor, Stella runs the compiled .BIN as a PAL ROM, which it is not, making me have to force it into NTSC.  Will this cause problems with actual hardware? If this is a problem, is there a way to circumvent this?  I see there is a scanline height counter towards the bottom -- should this number add up to something?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 8,816 posts

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:02 PM

I have to ask the dumb questions first.  Is Region: NTSC selected in both your main project window and in the Title Kernel Editor window?

#3 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 4,514 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 PM

It sounds like you've put too much bitmap data in the title screen. f you have too many lines, stella will detect that and assume the ROM is PAL. It will be a problem on real hardware too - some displays may show the screen fine, while others may experience picture roll and/or cut-off part of the display.

#4 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 PM

Ah good to know, because I just checked and it looks like both items are set to NTSC.  Is there a cutoff in terms of scanlines or something that I should be aware of or ... ?

#5 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 4,514 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:51 AM

The titlescreen kernel and other bB kernels will default to 262 scanlines minimum, though as you've discovered you can make any of them use too many scanlines. (alt+L will turn on the scanline count in stella)

In terms of bitmap data lines that you feed it, the titlescreen kernel can display ~85 lines using 2-line minikernels, or about ~170 lines using 1-line minikernels.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users