IGNORED

Visual bB Title Kernel Editor Strangness

Yosikuma

So I have been tinkering with the title editor in Visual bB. When I test out my code in the editor, Stella runs the compiled .BIN as a PAL ROM, which it is not, making me have to force it into NTSC. Will this cause problems with actual hardware? If this is a problem, is there a way to circumvent this? I see there is a scanline height counter towards the bottom -- should this number add up to something?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you've put too much bitmap data in the title screen. f you have too many lines, stella will detect that and assume the ROM is PAL. It will be a problem on real hardware too - some displays may show the screen fine, while others may experience picture roll and/or cut-off part of the display.

The titlescreen kernel and other bB kernels will default to 262 scanlines minimum, though as you've discovered you can make any of them use too many scanlines. (alt+L will turn on the scanline count in stella)

In terms of bitmap data lines that you feed it, the titlescreen kernel can display ~85 lines using 2-line minikernels, or about ~170 lines using 1-line minikernels.