Atari won't display black and white?

black white color

4 replies to this topic

#1 Seijun OFFLINE  

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 AM

I have found a lot of threads about Ataris that will not show color, but I may be having the opposite problem. I have a light sixer. The color switch doesn't have any effect on my games, as in the games stay in color even when I toggle black and white. Hi I am not sure if the switch is broken or if the two games I have do not support black and white mode? I have only been able to test Berserk and SwordQuest.

#2 alex_79 OFFLINE  

• 1,097 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 AM

The b/w switch is just an input for the console so it's behaviour depends on the specific game. Early games used it to actually select an optimized b/w palette, later they used it for other purposes (for example as a pause switch) or just ignored it.

Those two games don't use the switch at all, so what you see is normal.

Edited by alex_79, Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 AM.

#3 Flojomojo ONLINE  

I say boom boom boom

• 11,223 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:55 PM

I think the best game for testing b/w mode is Pac-Man. It's common as dirt, and is easier to play with the color turned off!

#4 Seijun OFFLINE  

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 PM

Thank you! The console is in nearly unused condition, so I was very annoyed at the possibility of the switch being broken. We will probably have Pac Man soon. This is our first Atari. Very proud to have it in the family!

#5 Supergun OFFLINE  

• 872 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:21 PM

To this day, I still enjoy showing that to visiting guests. I pop in video Olympics, select the original pong game, and toggle to b/w.

Always makes them laugh & smile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black, white, color

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users