Photo

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

614 replies to this topic

#601 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,801 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:52 PM

I used hot air exclusively to fix the NTSC 65XE on the desk here and the PCB didn't blink an eye, so those temperatures must have been tremendous. :)

#602 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,814 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:08 PM

could have fixed it but nah! that smell will never go away... lol

Edited by _The Doctor__, Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:14 PM.

#603 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:22 PM

Ah the good old 'use an acetylene torch' memory upgrade method.

You aren't soldering correctly if you aren't using acid flux, 1/8" or larger acid core solder, and a bernzomatic torch.

#604 jjh76 OFFLINE  

jjh76

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:42 AM

For the 5200 are the install pictures from an original 4-port that gets power through the rf switch or are they from  a 2-port model? Or is it the same for both versions?

And if I put one of these in one of my 4-port units is there another mod that would let me eliminate the rf switch and plug the power adapter directly into the console?

#605 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:57 AM

There is definitely a mod for the power port. Atari actually used to do them for customers with issues. You can buy a kit from console5 to do it easily.

#606 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:07 AM

For the 5200 are the install pictures from an original 4-port that gets power through the rf switch or are they from  a 2-port model? Or is it the same for both versions?

And if I put one of these in one of my 4-port units is there another mod that would let me eliminate the rf switch and plug the power adapter directly into the console?

I purchased two of the power mods (as I'm currently installing two UAV's with AC on a 5200 as we speak). I'll post photos once everything is done. 

#607 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 12:41 PM

Hey everyone,

Where is the best place to put the AC board on the 5200? I have the first release 5200 PCB and I know i'm looking for a spot with +5 and ground nearby. Anyone have recommendations of where to put it? 

Thanks! 

#608 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:53 PM

Hey everyone,

Where is the best place to put the AC board on the 5200? I have the first release 5200 PCB and I know i'm looking for a spot with +5 and ground nearby. Anyone have recommendations of where to put it? 

Thanks! 

Most people put them in the same location that they would come on the 2 port. Right in the back corner.

#609 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:20 PM

Most people put them in the same location that they would come on the 2 port. Right in the back corner.

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm a newbie with the 5200... At which cap are you referring? I assume you're talking about the C129/C130 area in the back right hand corner? Would you be able to pinpoint which point is the +5 and which is ground there? The schematics for this are obviously a lot more complicated than the 2600's i'm used to. Thanks! 

Edited by bszarek001, Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:28 PM.

#610 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:47 PM

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm a newbie with the 5200... At which cap are you referring? I assume you're talking about the C129/C130 area in the back right hand corner? Would you be able to pinpoint which point is the +5 and which is ground there? The schematics for this are obviously a lot more complicated than the 2600's i'm used to. Thanks! 

http://atariage.com/...on-warning-big/

#611 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:47 AM

This is a very cool power mod, but the AC mod to which I was referring is the Audio Companion board by Bryan. What i'll probably end up doing, as suggested by Dr Venkman, is just solder it in to either the RF +5 and ground or off the 7805, depending on where I want to lay the board down. 

#612 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:00 AM

Sorry you posted that you bought 2 power mods and then started asking about AC install, which to me would indicate Alternating Current. No idea on the audio mod as I haven't installed one in the 5200.

#613 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:29 AM

Sorry you posted that you bought 2 power mods and then started asking about AC install, which to me would indicate Alternating Current. No idea on the audio mod as I haven't installed one in the 5200.

Of course, appreciate the response. It's a very cool mod. I bought the one from console5, but i'm not sure it's the way i want to go. 

#614 Bryan OFFLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,745 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:36 AM

I'm going to post the 5200 (UAV/AC) tutorials in the next few days. Just getting the last UAV's out first.

#615 bszarek001 OFFLINE  

bszarek001

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Today, 8:09 PM

For those of you that are looking to install the Audio Companion board in a 5200, I ran into something I thought I'd share. I installed my UAV board and the video quality was fantastic (composite only). I intend on doing a power mod in the near future, but until I do, I was going to use the existing RF cable mounted to the PCB to power the console. I completed the wiring, turned it on, and was getting a very loud, low level hum. I used the RF pins to power the Audio Companion board, so initially I thought it might have been sharing the pins with the RF modulator board, even though I wouldn't be using it. I had a feeling the issue was with that cable. So what I ended up doing was pulling the RF cable off the PCB, then using the remaining RF plug on the board and used a thinner RF cable to plug into the power adapter. It worked like a charm. Audio and video are perfect. If you'd like photos or videos, let me know. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users