IGNORED

RF to VGA converter box issues - LCD PC TV BOX QS638 (TI-99/4A)

Davvel

I recently purchased an LCD PC TV BOX QS638 which should convert any RF signal to a standard LCD Monitor via a VGA cable.

I tuned it to the proper channel but I kept getting a shaky reception as seen in the attached.

This box should act like the old analog tuner we used to have in the old TV sets, but now it is external and has a VGA output for an LCD monitor.

I set it to PAL M and have invested a good hour changing the settings of screen size and different TV systems. I tried scanning all available frequencies but still Channel 36 (UHF) was the best with a PAL M setting.

At least I managed to get sound :)

Any Ideas ?

20161224_115241.mp4

ok. if you have only RF-out then there may be another way.

do you have access to an LCD TV instead of the monitor?

if so try manual tuning as follows:-

leave your language settings in defult English - or whatever you prefer

Type: Analog

Band: S

System: BG

Channel: 75

Frequency: 69.25 mhz

you're very welome.

ok. if you have only RF-out then there may be another way.

do you have access to an LCD TV instead of the monitor?

if so try manual tuning as follows:-

leave your language settings in defult English - or whatever you prefer

you're very welome.

Thanks for your solution but I wanted to use this with a bog monitor I have which does not have RF input.

the Q5638 has output frequencies of

H Frequency 37KHz 64KHz; V Frequency 60Hz 75Hz

have you checked the frequencies of your monitor? if not set the same, can it be adjusted to sync?

do you have a pdf copy of the manual?

it may be that you can tune the Q5638 to the TV settings i referred to above. The Slovakian settings are an Analog setting that works really well

only 3 pages of 10?

you'll need to find the section on tuning to TV signal and manually enter the settings above - while connected to computer

Those are all the pages (5 + front cover) 2 pages per photo. I must have not put them in order. I put them as (Front Cover + page 6),(9 and 10) (7 and 8 ) - You can see the index page which starts from page 6 and ends at 10.

Page 0 to 5 are in Chinese at the flip side of this paper strip which can be called a manual :) .

You have everything in the PDF.

Edited by Davvel

only 3 pages of 10?

you'll need to find the section on tuning to TV signal and manually enter the settings above - while connected to computer

Remember that this is simply a tuner, you give it an RF signal and it exists as VGA. It does not have a notion of computer, it accepts any old analogue signal be it from a vintage computer or from a TV antenna. The output is always VGA to a Monitor.

Edited by Davvel

i was referring to whatever games computer you had it hooked upto - is it a TI99?

ok. then you have to eliminate the obvious.

with there being different types of RF signals - you'll need to find a way to "tune" to these

forget whatever 8-bit you're hooking it up to. try connecting straight to a TV antenna - what do you receive then?

as i said there must be a method for tuning it to a TV antenna,

there must exist either a search/tune facility on the device or a manual tune option

if you can manually tune it - try doing what i said above

Edited by Guest

I have hooked it up to my TI-99/4A and I did tune it for more than 1 hour, tuning is not difficult as I have an On Screen Menu offered by the device to do just that. I scanned all possible frequencies (it has auto scan and manual scan, just like any other TV I used to tune way back in the day), The attached mp4 in my first post is what I have obtained, which was not far as I got sound and a wavy picture. So I am close but something is wrong. I do not have other analog sources only 3 (TI 99/4a) which all do the same wavy output with good sound on my LCD Monitor.

right.

so you have a manual scan. what options does this give you?

what about the initial setup for the device - ie the "out of the box" setup?

if you have a manual tune option then you must be able to make selections...this is where

can be used
I have done this with modern TVs, a DVD recorder and a tuner box ...but it does require a menu where you can fully access manual tuning, otherwise you may be stumped.
one final thing. if the sound is good and picture is wavy, then it may be - as i said in my second reply, a case of changing the refresh rates of your monitor to match the refresh rates of your QS638, or vice-versa.
Many monitors have a console button-operated menu - try tinkering, see if it helps
Edited by Guest