IGNORED

Antic stuff: what is it for ?

scalpel

ICHEG at The Strong has one of the original graphics worksheets for Utopia on this paper. On that paper, you can also see the original island artwork was to have a separate shoreline graphic between land and water.

Since you reversed-engineered the code, can you confirm that the outer edge is not in the map itself made invisible with the background colour? I know you disagreed before, but it seems plausible to me that they could mark some "special zone" that could be detected with hardware collision detection for the position of fish schools or pirate ships. It could also mark the range of the fort protection on your fishing ship.

dZ.

Since you reversed-engineered the code, can you confirm that the outer edge is not in the map itself made invisible with the background colour? I know you disagreed before, but it seems plausible to me that they could mark some "special zone" that could be detected with hardware collision detection for the position of fish schools or pirate ships. It could also mark the range of the fort protection on your fishing ship.

The short answer is "no", those tiles are just plain water tiles like the rest. So we don't threadjack here, I'll necro-bump the Utopia Revealed thread with the full explanation.

EDIT: Direct link to the more complete explanation.

Edited by intvnut