IGNORED

Atari 2600 Junior?

piders7

Which is weird since, as I stated in my jailbar thread, my junior is the one system that doesn't exhibit jailbars

Yeah, you've got a good one then. :) I've had Jr.'s throughout the years that have had 'em.

Should add that a nice feature of the Junior, is the fact you can add whatever RF cable you want to easily, since it's detachable. A good shielded true 75ohm cable can make all the difference in squashing interference, etc. Just making a general observation that the original Atari 6-switchers have better video circuitry/output than the cost reduced models that came later.

• Like 1

The 2600jr of similar design like the 7800 and more compact and electronically as robust as the older model. I base this on 2600jr I bought for fifty cents that went thru the "ringer". However, the older model has a much better cart slot, a very solid base for inserting game carts.

Atari 2600 Jr Composite Mod - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=561814#p561814

In closing I have to comment on my beloved Atari 2600 Jr. A very robust machine, it has been thru a lot and still kicking. I won't melt any more solder on her, been thru too much and still working.

1. Bought for 50¢ at the Swap Meet. Been dropped, abandoned overnight outside, rained on and covered with mud. Note the pic, there are still traces of dirt on the face buttons.

2. Burned thru three mods and multiple disassembles including desoldering components, resoldering the same components, heating up the legs around the Stella Chip and drilling holes in the PCB.

Reassembled and held together by only one screw (the other pegs snapped off) the Atari is still alive. If only other products could take this kind of punishment! This Atari has been thru a real Venture. Don't worry baby, you can now rest and function normally again. You still have the prettiest logo around! 8)

Edited by CRTGAMER

Between all my 2600 consoles, the RF signal isn't appreciably worse with the 2600jr., IMO. Especially on an old CRT television.

As far as I'm concerned, it's as good as any other version (unless you want to play Space Shuttle and you need the switch panel overlays :P ). In some ways, maybe even better; the later Atari Corp. carts with the fatter 7800-type shells don't always fit very well in the older 6- or 4-switch systems but fit perfectly fine in the 2600jr.

Have you noticed on 4's and 6's you've owned too?

For a while, there were Sunnyvale 4-switchers (have one now)... forget the mobo revision, but has different top shell difficulty switch verbiage and yes, I'd say those are nicer quality than the Taiwan 4-switches. Don't currently recall seeing jailbars on the Sunnyvale models, think I've just observed that on the Taiwanese stuff. But obviously some Taiwanese made systems don't exhibit the jailbars, so who knows... with all the bastardized systems that were thrown together throughout the years, different mobo revisions, parts sourced that may be more susceptible to variances in tolerance, etc. appears anything is possible with Atari that way. It's why when you get a 'good' system, you might just want to hang on to it. :)

• Like 1

Not as good video output. And some units exhibit faint jailbars. But at least the colors can be enhanced by performing the 820ohm resistor mod across a couple of pins on the TIA chip.

This resistor mod is only for the Rev 14 and lower motherboards for the 4-switch woodgrain atari 2600s. Not the Jr, which has superior colour to the 4-switch. I haven't been able to compare to a 6-switcher however.

• Like 1

This resistor mod is only for the Rev 14 and lower motherboards for the 4-switch woodgrain atari 2600s. Not the Jr, which has superior colour to the 4-switch. I haven't been able to compare to a 6-switcher however.

Hmm... must be getting my systems cornfused then when it comes to that particular mod. Thanks for the correction. Can definitely confirm that all the stock Juniors I've had, not looking as good (vibrant color wise) as a stock Sunnyvale 6-switcher or my Sunnyvale 4-switcher. Junior fares much better than a 7800 that way though! And on overall clarity. :lol:

At least I've been able to perform this resistor mod to my 7800's too - which greatly improves the colors of 2600 games. Better than a Junior, but not as vibrant or accurate as the old Sunnyvale models. Even after using the color bar generator and trying to dial them in.

post-13896-0-25386000-1482786496_thumb.jpg

Does this mean my console is defective and/or dying? I get these but they don't bother me. It's better than the colored static bar on my last 2600.

Nah, I think they are just from interference or poor rf modulation or something along those lines. Never looked that much into it and didn't really notice them until someone told me about them. It's a common thing with NES top loader systems.

• Like 1

Nah, I think they are just from interference or poor rf modulation or something along those lines. Never looked that much into it and didn't really notice them until someone told me about them. It's a common thing with NES top loader systems.

Oh good. I think the guy at the store I got my 2600 from would be pretty annoyed if I came back again to exchange something. I went in twice to exchange Joysticks, and once to exchange the console. The paddles are quite good for 2600 paddles.