IGNORED

Fest West 2017

Omega-TI

Fest West is only four months away....

Yeah, it's kind early to start thinking about it, but this reminder is just to light a fire under you guys who are actively working on software or hardware projects that will want to unveil them in time for the big meeting.

Attendees might want to follow this thread to be informed of any changes as they occur.

• Like 2

April, then? Is the venue chosen? :)

The location from last year worked out great because it was smack dab in the center between Portland and Seattle which allowed for more attendees and was easy to get to from the freeway. The room and can easily handle 20 people and lunch was also served in the room.

I've not yet called for signups, but if the attendance from last year is exceeded by 6-8 a new venue might be warranted. I'm going to scout out a few places next week on my day off, as an alternative... just in case. Now if you want to commit early and sign up sign now to give me an idea of what to expect, feel free to send a PM. If you want to know when Fest West is... << CLICK HERE >>. :-D

Last years prize presentations (there should be more this year). :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc3wq9tHF8Y

ElectricLab's Demo Broser & Chess / Email Demonstration at the 2016 Fest West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWW-dOJjQ0o

BJ Guillot QR Code Demo at Fest West 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3NXNqeQm8

JediMatt42's USB Keyboard Adapter Demonstration at the 2016 Fest West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUd0b_WYXRE

• Like 2

I can get up there easily since Southwest goes to both SEA and PDX. So... basically I can expect it to be near PDX?

I'm going to check a few places in the Kelso and Castle Rock areas later this week. Some of the factors I'm weighing are; distance from the freeway, expense, if food is delivered to the meeting room, as well as distance people have to drive. Since it looks like we will have at least a couple of people flying in (so far) this year, I want to make it a tad closer to PDX, but not too far away that the people from the Seattle area will have to drive too far. I also would like to get a place that has multiple electrical outlets. Then there is the distance people have to lug computer equipment to get it to the meeting room.

Last years location was geographic center between the Portland and Seattle areas and right off the freeway, but it was a little light on electrical outlets and only had room to sit twenty people for lunch.

IMO you should use a hotel with conference rooms that is close to an airport (or that has shuttles). People are now talking about coming from long distances, and that lets those who are flying in (or driving long distance) have a place to stay without needing to also rent a car to get to the event. Hotels depend on this kind of business and have conference rooms or all sizes. There should also be an admission fee to help cover this cost, your time to set up the event, etc.

A quick Google search shows that there are lots of options in Portland. I found some rooms with enough capacity for $250 to $500 daily rates. If there are 30 people (seems like the attendance will easily reach that this year), each paying $20 admission, then the revenue to cover the room is easily generated (and $20 is very reasonable IMO. Personally I would not start to complain until you hit maybe $50 admission for a full day). Also, since people are now talking about flying in, making the event 1.5 or 2 days would be nice.

Here is a link that I found for "The Best Meeting Hotels in Portland":

https://www.hotelplanner.com/Sample/30-2256/Group/Portland-OR-Business-Meeting.html#dir-bar

Last years Fest West was technically free to attend, and to be honest with you, I'd like to keep it that way. Last year the location made a few bucks on the meals most people purchased. I also figure that people will have more money to spend on new TI toys if they do not have to pay just to attend.

I'll also check out the Oak Tree in Woodland to see what they have available, but honestly last time I was there it looked like it would be difficult for people to bring stuff into any meeting room, but again food could probably be brought into the room for sure. I have other options I'm looking into, but the majority of the people will be driving from the Portland and Seattle areas so I'm trying to make it as fair as possible.

The Red Lion in Kelso is also on my list to check into as it's right off the freeway, has plenty of meeting space and they also have food, which I think could probably be brought into the room. I'll go down in person later this week to check out date availability and other concerns.

I wonder is food on-site a major concern for most people? If not, that might open up more possibilities.

• Like 1

I'm going to check a few places in the Kelso and Castle Rock areas later this week. Some of the factors I'm weighing are; distance from the freeway, expense, if food is delivered to the meeting room, as well as distance people have to drive. Since it looks like we will have at least a couple of people flying in (so far) this year, I want to make it a tad closer to PDX, but not too far away that the people from the Seattle area will have to drive too far. I also would like to get a place that has multiple electrical outlets. Then there is the distance people have to lug computer equipment to get it to the meeting room.

Last years location was geographic center between the Portland and Seattle areas and right off the freeway, but it was a little light on electrical outlets and only had room to sit twenty people for lunch.

Excellent, if I learned anything last year it was bring the cart and exension cords!

Greg

• Like 1

April, then? Is the venue chosen? :)

Yes, I locked in the new venue today. It's going to be at the Oak Tree Restaurant in Woodland, Washington.

There are PLENTY of electrical outlets, a projection TV for our use and more room than last year.

I'll be posting more details in February and will open signups then, but if you want to sign up now, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll put you down. Also, if you want to do a presentation let me know about how long it will be and what the topic is... I'll keep it a secret.

• Like 4

It'll look better when it's all set up for our use, but this is the room where we are going to have all our presentations, lunch, prize giveaways and face to faces with all our friends from online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfCyjg5mZw&feature=youtu.be

Please excuse the video quality, it was not originally planned for public use.

• Like 2