IGNORED

Super Retro Boy & other game boy clones

godslabrat

I'm really intrigued by this system and can't wait to see what it looks like at CES next week. I'm curious to see what the designers came up with to make it a marketable product, when there's already a bajillion AGS-101 model Game Boy Advance SPs out there with nice backlit screens that can play all the same games as the Super Retro Boy and are original Nintendo products to boot.

Will it have a nicer LCD screen or the ability to load ROMs off an SD card? Will it take AA batteries or a proprietary rechargable battery pack? Will the D-Pad, buttons, and membrane contacts be compatible with OEM Game Boy parts for customization and long term maintenance? What will the form factor be like?

There's half a dozen other things I'm wondering about too, but suffice it to say it looks like we'll probably just have to wait until CES next week to find out.

• Like 3

I'm more than willing to pay attention to the system, but history isn't on its side. I only used their last gba clone once.

Still, it sounds interesting enough.

I think my main issue with retrobit is that they don't produce gear that's nice enough, it's aimed at a different customer that's more numerous.

And really most official nintendo gba hardware doesn't meet my standards, either. Micro is the best I've found, but the buttons get mushy pretty quickly and I haven't found any rebuild kits for them.

Ugh! This was so close to being interesting to me. The deal-breaker for me, ironically, is that it's a portable unit. If this had been a TV-based console with standard hand controllers and HDMI output, I would have been all over this. No batteries to worry about, a nice big picture on my TV screen... If I want a portable, I can just get a GBA that plays GB, GBC and GBA games, and I really don't want to squint down at a small screen, so... no deal.

Anyone who wants to get into the GB/A can just go to a shop or ebay or amazon and pick up a GBA SP. People make way too big of a deal with the AGS-001 vs 101, both are perfectly usable if you can't find the backlit one for a decent price. I kind of prefer the softer glow of the frontlit screen and it's the better model to use outside or during the daylight hours.

This will need to have some huge advantage over the real thing to be worth the plastic it's made of, but I think this has cheapo written all over it. SD card support is about the only realistic thing I can think of, but I can't imagine Nintendo being ok with Retrobit allowing people to freely use roms for their systems when they're currently selling them on the 3DS.

• Like 1

I'm more than willing to pay attention to the system, but history isn't on its side. I only used their last gba clone once.

Still, it sounds interesting enough.

I think my main issue with retrobit is that they don't produce gear that's nice enough, it's aimed at a different customer that's more numerous.

And really most official nintendo gba hardware doesn't meet my standards, either. Micro is the best I've found, but the buttons get mushy pretty quickly and I haven't found any rebuild kits for them.

Retro-bit seems to be slightly ahead of the curve among the clone manufacturers. The Super Retro Trio is one of the best clones out there, I'd say it's nearly flawless. The RetroBit Generations, while highly flawed (and that's being kind) was very ambitious. I would give Retro-Bit more optimism than I would give Hyperkin or Yobo. Still, I strongly advise waiting until the reviews come in before getting too excited.

Ugh! This was so close to being interesting to me. The deal-breaker for me, ironically, is that it's a portable unit. If this had been a TV-based console with standard hand controllers and HDMI output, I would have been all over this. No batteries to worry about, a nice big picture on my TV screen... If I want a portable, I can just get a GBA that plays GB, GBC and GBA games, and I really don't want to squint down at a small screen, so... no deal.

HDMI output would definitely tempt me, regardless of any other features. That's one thing RetroBit could offer that I couldn't just as easily get by getting a refurb GBA.

And I agree with zetastrike here, the non-backlit version gets unfairly crapped on. That's what I use now, and have been using for almost 15 years. It's rather nice if you use it the way it was intended.

Anyone who wants to get into the GB/A can just go to a shop or ebay or amazon and pick up a GBA SP. People make way too big of a deal with the AGS-001 vs 101, both are perfectly usable if you can't find the backlit one for a decent price. I kind of prefer the softer glow of the frontlit screen and it's the better model to use outside or during the daylight hours.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

People make way too big of a deal with the AGS-001 vs 101, both are perfectly usable if you can't find the backlit one for a decent price. I kind of prefer the softer glow of the frontlit screen and it's the better model to use outside or during the daylight hours.

I vigorously disagree. The difference between the old and new screen is night and day, especially now that we've enjoyed 10+ years of screen improvements on phones and other cheap tech. I didn't like the AGS-001 in 2005 and wouldn't want to see it again in 2017. There's not much danger of a frontlit screen nowadays though.

I would pay for a GBA clone if it's "nicer" than the official Nintendo stuff in a number of ways. Otherwise, yeah, I'm happy with my now-retro GBA SP.

Need to have:

100% compatibility with cartridges, full speed accuracy with graphics and sound

Standard headphone jack

Standard MicroUSB for charging (no AA batteries for me; I doubt they're planned for any of these)

Long battery life

Fold-up screen like the SP

Bright screen at least as good as AGS-101

Quiet, bouncy, responsive buttons. I prefer the Micro feel but GBA and SP are OK too.

Nice to have:

Sexier design. The SP design is a chunky brick. It could be a lot thinner if the CPU used less power.

MicroSD slot for ROMs (this would provoke Nintendo, yes?)

Capability of playing other platforms with D-pad controls like MegaDrive, etc.

HDMI out

Local multiplayer over Bluetooth emulating the wired connections (very peripheral)

I'd pay up to $150 for something that does it all. I'd grab it for less than $90 if it did everything from the first list. Disclaimer: I've bought the AtGames Sega and Atari portables at full price, I think I'm more likely to open my wallet than the average retro dork.

• Like 3

Flojo, it seems you and I are blood brothers on a few of these things, and not on the same planet in others.

Need to have:

100% compatibility with cartridges, full speed accuracy with graphics and sound Agreed, but I'd take 99.9% if the remainder were some obscure games I'll never play anyway.

Standard headphone jack Yes. Don't Apple this bitch.

Standard MicroUSB for charging (no AA batteries for me; I doubt they're planned for any of these) As long as it's standard something, I'll be happy. But I'm pretty good about not losing cords.

Long battery life Again, yes.

Fold-up screen like the SP I'd actually prefer it didn't, as the hinges tend to break. But I'll be OK either way.

Bright screen at least as good as AGS-101 And it better have the right ratio for all titles.

Quiet, bouncy, responsive buttons. I prefer the Micro feel but GBA and SP are OK too. I never got too picky about buttons.

Nice to have:

Sexier design. The SP design is a chunky brick. It could be a lot thinner if the CPU used less power. I'm neutral. It needs some thickness to be easy to hold.

MicroSD slot for ROMs (this would provoke Nintendo, yes?) Would be nice, but if I need that, I'd probably get an everdrive.

Capability of playing other platforms with D-pad controls like MegaDrive, etc. Maybe. Doesn't really phase me that much.

HDMI out This is a big, big want for me.

Local multiplayer over Bluetooth emulating the wired connections (very peripheral) I really don't see myself ever using such a feature. I don't think I'll have multiple dorks like myself in the same room ever. :-)

• Like 2

Standard headphone jack Yes. Don't Apple this bitch.

Nintendo did it first with their non-standard jack on the GBA-SP that could be used for audio out with an adapter. To use your phrasing, "iPhone 7 Nintendo'ed that bitch." Ahem.

I have lots of ways to play GBA games, so if they check even one of my boxes, I'll have a look. If it's not a turd in a box like Retro-Bit Generations, I'll probably get one.

Another thing that I forgot: I'd like a glass lens for the screen if it doesn't fold up SP-style. People say, "but glass can break!" I'm way more likely to scratch a cheap-ass plastic screen than break a solid glass screen.

To carry over the Everdrive discussion from the unworthy Retro-Bit Generations thread: supposedly there are 3 versions of the GBA Everdrive in the works, called X3, X5, and X7. The X5 is out now. It sticks out of the cartridge slot, which some people don't mind, but I find to be a deal breaker. It's possible the X7 will be different, presumably higher end. If it doesn't stick out, I'm happy paying a little more. If it works perfectly in a nice-looking clone hardware unit, that's cool too!

• Like 1

Retro-bit seems to be slightly ahead of the curve among the clone manufacturers. The Super Retro Trio is one of the best clones out there, I'd say it's nearly flawless. The RetroBit Generations, while highly flawed (and that's being kind) was very ambitious. I would give Retro-Bit more optimism than I would give Hyperkin or Yobo. Still, I strongly advise waiting until the reviews come in before getting too excited.

Yeah, even the retro duo was generally solid (especially considering the era), but where clones shoot for 'decent' I'm looking for 'fancy.' I am a really huge gba fan, though. I even bought one of those visteon gbas, so the 3-in-1 has my total attention as a completionist, but I'm not holding my breath on me really loving the thing. I mean sure, I only used it once, but I still bought their last gba adapter thing...so I know they have me this time too... As long as it's not software-based emulation.

Whatever they're charging for this thing, I just know that I'm going to be the guy who wants one that costs 3x more.

edit: hmmm... but if it happens to be giant size, that could possibly change my entire outlook on the thing. The gba etch-a-sketch.

Edited by Reaperman

I hope it comes in a horizontal form factor with top-loading carts like the original GBA. I have large man hands, and the GBA-SP gets painful for long play sessions. I am also curious if it uses a physical switch like the GBA to detect cart type, or some sort of soft detection like the Retron5 uses. Also a 1/8" headphone jack is a must.

Also the X5 flashcart has got to work with it. It works with the Advance Retro Port (which outputs composite natively with the Super Retro Trio), but games that utilize the sleep function crash it with white screen of death.

And Flojo, why don't you give the X5 flashcart a try? It's just 6 millimeters of overhang, no more than certain carts that employed Gyro sensors or other tech, and certainly no worse than a standard GBA cart sticking out of a DS Lite. It's not an inch like the old Game Boys or something.

I could be interested in this but the retro bit company tied to it makes me nervous. I'd have to agree with that existing list of wants before biting though. What can it offer me over what an original GBA (with a 101 stuffed in it) can do? Or just for the hell of it a 101? How much nicer is that screen, how about the audio? Is it a lame emulator with bugs or a system on chip with the issues those have? Any shot of a TV out on it, maybe micro usb to hdmi? If this isn't using normal batteries, is the cell being put in there easily replaced from a mass distributor of batteries so I'm not screwed in 5 years? Too many questions and nothing known yet really to make one care other than the gameboy hype machine.

• Like 3

If this isn't using normal batteries, is the cell being put in there easily replaced from a mass distributor of batteries so I'm not screwed in 5 years?

This is why I vastly prefer aa battery compatibility. If people want rechargeables, the common AA size gives users tons of options including options that weren't even available at the time of production. Why, for example, those snes clones, don't use standard batteries is beyond me.

How am I going to play my fc-16 go in just 10 years? I've already had to replace its battery once, and I doubt they'll be made next time.

This goes for original nintendo hardware too. That switch seems to contain 3 weird batteries (one in system, one in each hand grip). They'll be lucky if they survive the console generation.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

No doubt. That FC Mobile 88 I got about a month ago from a local selling it I was happy to see uses AAAs (4) and lasts like 6+ hours which is awesome. As much as I like my NES style SP and the micro...they scare me as the batteries won't last and cheap chinese crap knockoffs I'm not a fan of. As such I've actually had a micro break, bought another dead one, and found a spare as well so I have 3 Nintendo OEM micro batteries as backups for later days. :) I prefer the original GBA in molding and battery type, hate the screen as it's so dark and so busy.

I had modded one early this year with a 101 screen I had when a system ate it. Problem is I lack a dremel and had to get creative with the shell insides to fit the panel. I never did get it right, was too snug, and the first 3ft drop onto carpet of all things, pressure cracked the screen. :( It lasted me just a few months but it was pure awesome. I'd love another but getting a busted 101 isn't easy as people who can, do it because the alternative now is that pre-made ones the makers in the last six months have become VERY greedy. You used to be able to spot one for around $100, now they're like $150-200 and I'm not paying that.

Flojo, it seems you and I are blood brothers on a few of these things, and not on the same planet in others.

She's not your "brother." :P

I agree with you that the GBA AGS-001 is "good enough." Sure beats an original GBA or GBC with worm light. Flojo seems overly picky on a number of details like a certain flash cart that is hands down the best such device ever made, sticking out 6mm. Try playing Kirby's Tilt and Tumble upside down through a Game Boy Color Action Replay upside down through a GBA-SP. Two 180 degree inversions = right side up! :P

The DS Phat didn't have a great screen either but I loved it for being more ergonomic for my big hands. DS Lite was too small resulting in a similar level of "hurt" compared to SP. Not so with the phat model. And yhe less said about the Micro, the better! :P

A backlit horizontal GBA is my dream machine btw. A shame they quit making the "midnight" mods on account of the SP coming out, because like the DS "Phat" the original GBA model had the best form factor. ;-)

Another thing that I forgot: I'd like a glass lens for the screen if it doesn't fold up SP-style. People say, "but glass can break!" I'm way more likely to scratch a cheap-ass plastic screen than break a solid glass screen.

Newsflash: plastic is cheaper than glass! :P

To carry over the Everdrive discussion from the unworthy Retro-Bit Generations thread: supposedly there are 3 versions of the GBA Everdrive in the works, called X3, X5, and X7. The X5 is out now. It sticks out of the cartridge slot, which some people don't mind, but I find to be a deal breaker.

Don't bet on it. Krikzz said he is using the new naming convention for all new products, and currently has no plans to release an upgraded or cost reduced GBA Everdrive. The extra 6mm is due to the quality components he uses. And it's not without precedent: Yoshi Topsy Turvy, Warioware Twisted, and Drill Dozer used a similar form factor.

Mega Everdrive seems to be the only flashcart with three SKUs, though there are two SNES and two N64 flash carts. I'm not counting NES/FC because they're identical hardware with incompatible form factor.

The extra 6mm is due to the quality components he uses.

I think it has a lot more to do with him not putting those components on both sides of his board as a lot of other gba flashcarts do.

I spent big bucks to upgrade my m3 sd to an m3 mini sd to get rid of a smaller overhang. Totally worth it. But I run gb micros, so maintaining its sexy lines (and compatibility with cases) is important.

Edited by Reaperman

Complaining over 6mm just seems petty and overly OCD. Thinking back to my earlier post, I can't see really ever wanting to touch the Retro Bit device. I can't see them making something much more quality than the K101-Revo+ device and that one even has a few flaws that kept me from bothering with it too. And worse, that was out well before the Everdrive GBA was even a thought and that not being competition with it still didn't motivate me. Now this new device will exist, and it's up against likely a similar priced or less(?) everdrive that using simply Goomba Color can very likely out do anything they'll end up pulling off all scaled back into one little GBA game in a shell smaller than the Drill Dozer GBA cart. Throw in the fact it can run NES, a few SNES(no audio), SMS/GG libraries, Coleco, and even the PCE and the CD and Super CDs in ISO format -- why the hell even bother? Everdrive is like a dozen systems in one, and if you can't stomach playing on a little screen -- GB Player it pillar/letter boxed (non stretch) and you're set.

That said I won't lie I am still curious about it. If I stumbled upon one stupid cheap I'd even consider it as a go-to pocket rocket for testing games on a flea market table to keep the good stuff safe at home but that would be really about it.

• Like 1

Complaining over 6mm just seems petty and overly OCD.

Exactly. Also I don't understand how anyone with adult hands can play on a GBA Micro without cramping and pain. On the SP, the slight overhang is totally non-offensive and I never see it because I'm looking at the top of the system. Also I hope none of you OCD types ever use a DS Lite to play GBA games, because that cart slot is a hole other level of shallow.

Oh well, I guess it's not for me then. Wario Twisted's cartridge is not exactly a model of elegance.

I'm with you on this one. I don't mind the cart overhang on the occasional game cartridge that uses special hardware, but for something like an EverDrive that would ride in my handheld almost 24/7 if I bought it I would want a flush fit. Not only would the X5 not be aesthetically pleasing but it would prevent the GBA from fitting properly in the padded case that I carry it around in, so I'm holding out for the GBA EverDrive X7 as well.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Exactly. Also I don't understand how anyone with adult hands can play on a GBA Micro without cramping and pain. On the SP, the slight overhang is totally non-offensive and I never see it because I'm looking at the top of the system. Also I hope none of you OCD types ever use a DS Lite to play GBA games, because that cart slot is a hole other level of shallow.

You know what they say about guys with small hands...oh wait... Anyway, they made special form factors of gba flashcarts for the ds lite's gba slot, of which I have a couple. One of mine even has a ds rumble motor built in, which I thought was pretty slick. And yes, lots of people went for these even tinier gba flash carts to skirt the overhang issue.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1