IGNORED

Has this 2-port 5200 been modified?

Atari Nut

I picked up a 5200 that doesn't work. I replaced the motherboard and it works now but I am curious if the original motherboard has been modified and if so to do what. On the underside of the board there is a wire soldered on. On the top of the board there are 2 wires soldered on. See pics attached. On the underside of the board you can also see a nut that apparently secures the heat sink.

post-48804-0-00977600-1483151477_thumb.jpg

post-48804-0-01820800-1483151485_thumb.jpg

You might be able to find a board revision number on the two boards. I expect that they'd have different rev numbers. If they're the same, maybe the one board was modded based on a factory service bulletin - that would let you know what the mod was for.

Edited by BigO

• 1 year later...

I picked up a 5200 that doesn't work. I replaced the motherboard and it works now but I am curious if the original motherboard has been modified and if so to do what. On the underside of the board there is a wire soldered on. On the top of the board there are 2 wires soldered on. See pics attached. On the underside of the board you can also see a nut that apparently secures the heat sink.

I have a 5200 board with the exact same wires soldered on. I am pretty sure this must be a factory rework like stated above.