Has this 2-port 5200 been modified?

mod

5 replies to this topic

#1 Atari Nut OFFLINE  

Atari Nut

Moonsweeper

• 315 posts

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:33 PM

I picked up a 5200 that doesn't work.  I replaced the motherboard and it works now but I am curious if the original motherboard has been modified and if so to do what.  On the underside of the board there is a wire soldered on.  On the top of the board there are 2 wires soldered on.  See pics attached.  On the underside of the board you can also see a nut that apparently secures the heat sink.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5200-1.jpg
  • 5200-2.jpg

#2 Yokopup OFFLINE  

Yokopup

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:41 PM

No mods on that MoBo that I can see. I have one that has the exact same thing on both sides...

Edited by Yokopup, Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:42 PM.

#3 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,399 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:46 PM

That's not an uncommon method of compensating for something that was missed in the design of the circuit board or other revisions to a design. I've seen it in a lot of different types of electronic equipment.

#4 Atari Nut OFFLINE  

Atari Nut

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:20 AM

I have another 2-port board that doesn't have those wires so I thought this one may be modded.  Thanks.

#5 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,399 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:52 AM

You might be able to find a board revision number on the two boards. I expect that they'd have different rev numbers. If they're the same, maybe the one board was modded based on a factory service bulletin - that would let you know what the mod was for.

Edited by BigO, Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:53 AM.

#6 esp4p3 OFFLINE  

esp4p3

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 PM

I picked up a 5200 that doesn't work.  I replaced the motherboard and it works now but I am curious if the original motherboard has been modified and if so to do what.  On the underside of the board there is a wire soldered on.  On the top of the board there are 2 wires soldered on.  See pics attached.  On the underside of the board you can also see a nut that apparently secures the heat sink.

I have a 5200 board with the exact same wires soldered on. I am pretty sure this must be a factory rework like stated above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mod

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users